Light-O-Rama Forums

Ok, no turning back now

Guest guest

Well, after doing a static display for years, I have taken the plunge. I just placed my order for 80 channels of LOR. I bought five of the complete Planet Christmas kits, figured I could handle putting boards in boxes and adding wires, but I have terrible soldering skills.

Bought the fm transmitter last week. Here we go, on to laying out the display and programming.

No turning back now...wish me luck!!

I proudly display this banner for the first time!! Woohoo..

sig1lor9mm.gifsig-chan-080.gif

Brett

welcome to the world of lor! good luck and have fun. last year was my first year, i only had 16 channels and i was like a kid in a candy store after it was all said and done. this year i am jumping up to 80 channels as well.

i just ordered the 32 channel this morning and its already picked up by UPS and shippinig my way...i might order more over the year though...now i get to put the LOR thingie in my sig WOOHOO lol

Brett,

I'll be joining you soon. I'm looking at one of the PC kits as well. Not much experience in soldering, but I'm going to get a couple of small hobby kits to practice and then I'm going to purchase a 16 channel LOR kit. I'm definitely in the planning stages right now.

And to Dave in Garner, it looks like I'm just down the road from you. Let's light up Raleigh!

Tom

I bought 96 channels this my first year. I bought the 32 channel showtime set and then the rest as kits. The sets go together EASILY and are really good even for beginners. I showed my wife how to do it and had her do some. It was no problem even for her- and she has NEVER soldered.

I mean- it isn't microwave radio equipment! You can do them. Try one kit. They are cheap.

I plan on buying another 2 or 3 kits to have at least 128 channels.

The LEDs are what I REALLY want. They really remove alot of headache making sure you do not over power a side or a channel on your controllers.

Rusty

I know I should have probably started out small with 16 or 32 channels and worked my way up, but I have an incurable disease that prevents my exercising such discretion. Oh well, I am getting an early start. I have not a shred of musical talent in my body, which does cause me some concern on the sequencing end of this endeavour, but I will give it the old college try.

i just checked tracking on my order just for fun and curiosity and its already 25 minutes away from where i am in parsippany's UPS...i had it shipped UPS ground...expected date is the 27th but UPS delivers on saturday so i MIGHT be getting a surprise tomorrow if its already that close in a matter of 12 hours since i ordered...SHEESH dan...GREAT stuff!!!

*giddy as a schoolgirl* lol

I'm waiting for the sale
The main reason being I need to seperate the LED purchase expense from the LOR purchase. I'm really looking forward to animation

I really don't have a choice...I have 207a of lights & a 200a panel :shock:

I too, will be joining the ranks this year. I am going to get the LOR 32 channel showtime package. Add that to the 8 channel unit I have now and my 1st year of animating will be with 40 channels. I have no soldering skills, that is why I plan on going with the showtime package. The biggest time consumption for me, will be the sequencing so I didn't want to have to worry about soldering as well.
Jeff

dave wrote:

im trying to wait for the sale as well but im getting excited to build them and play some more. i may not be able to wait. i must stay calm.:? lol

im going to get a 16 channel controller during the sale, im just anxious to get started...plus i wanted to get it NOW while i had the money available...knowing me id spend it before the sale came around and i didnt want that to happen

i just got mine just now!!! i was like a kid opening toys on christmas...ill be hooking it up tonight for a test run!!! WOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

(thanks a million dan for such a great product!)

Soldering the LOR boards isn't very hard. The instructions are extremely clear and are just about designed for people who have never soldered before. With that being said, you should probably solder a small kit first, or even desolder a broken electronic device. That's actually how I first learned to solder. Of course, you need to be careful about making sure there aren't any capacitors with a significant stored charge on them.

Actually, my main suggestion is just take your time and take breaks. The biggest mistake you could make is to solder some of the parts in backwards and that just takes time to desolder and resolder. Also, if you're building five boards, you really should get a quality temperature controllable soldering station. A $10 pencil soldering iron really isn't going to cut it.

I have never built a kit from scratch. Most of what I have done is trying to solder wires onto an existing board with surface mount components with a cheap soldering iron and the results have been terrible.

I didn't want to risk it on my first set of boards. Now that I have an example to go from, I may order one or two more boards and build them come sale time. I am still finalizing my layout so not super sure how many channels I am going to have to have just yet. I knew it was over 64 for sure, so went ahead and got 80 channels.

i just finished my full show and im in total AWE of this product! i can NOT wait to add more channels and lights...the 'BUG' has now officially bit me...its COMPLETELY different seeing it in person than in videos even though its just lights on my LR floor...still...anyone holding off on getting LOR cuz you have doubts...DONT!!!

dan....*applauds*