Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with my purchase

ChristmasCanada

Ive been doing allot of reading on the E1.31.... I'm looking to purchase a E631 or the new E632. I have 1 CTB 16 PC.... 2x CMB DC cards for my dumb RGB strips, 2 CCRs and controllers and the USB RS 485 jack. I also have the advanced license. Will there be anything else that I would require to setup the E631 and E1.31..??

Another question....with the new LOR 1.31 software am I able to directly plug my E631 into the RS 485 jack and just daisy chain everything else.? I've read about changing all my controllers over to DMX but I don't understand that at all.

Thanks for the help

Mark

Yes you will need the newest software with advanced licenese to use 1.31 output.

The controllers you have will work the same, the USB 485 then daisy chain to the PC16 and DC cards and CCR's. The E681 goes on your network NOT THE USB 485 from your LOR controllers. I cant stress enough to never do that.

You will have to cables coming from your house with this setup, 1 from the USB485 to your Lor Hardware, and 1 Cat5 from your router/switch/hub to the E681. 1.31 is DMX over ethernet, it has little to nothing to do with the Lor standard controller protocol and those 2 should never be croseed or plugged in to the wrong side.

The E681/682 will require a power supply based on how pixels you plan on using. The E681 using communications protocol called E1.31 which the short meaning stand for, DMX over ethernet. Therefore it is designed by nature to plug in to the ethernet port of your computer or through a switch/hub that is also connected to your computer.

The E681 or E682 will connect to your computer using Ethernet, not the USB RS485 jack. Your computer needs to have a Network Interface Card (probably already does). You may also need an ethernet switch/hub if you intend to hook up more than one E1.31 controller, or other computers, etc.

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'm confused about this network interface. So there should be a network interface card on my laptop show computer.?? The laptop is about 3 years old. Anybody know what the new features of the E682 is.? Will I be ok with the E681

yes, you need a network interface on your show computer (or you could use the ELOR from SanDevices that will take a RS-485 connection and let you connect it to the E681, etc).

You very well may have one on your laptop already.

As for E681 vs E682, there are a fair amount of new features, but chances are the 681 would do just fine for you. Actually I don't think he is selling the 681 anymore unless you specifically want one.

Information posted at DIYC http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?21301-E682-Availability-and-Specifications-other-new-products&highlight=e682

Updated picture attached with ELOR option

post-2287-0-56064700-1344006345_thumb.jp

Edited by heystew
  • Like 2

Nice diagram by Heystew

This makes sense now... Thanks for the help. I can't wait to get going on this.

I just tried to order some pixel strips from Ray Wu. My credit card keeps getting rejected on his cite. What form of payment do you guys use.? The cite is giving me problems with authorization of my card.

My credit card company automatically stopped all purchases on my card after my first attempt to buy from Ray too, because of suspected fraudulent activity. They called me to verify I was the one attempting an order and then allowed it through. As mentioned, you can also use PayPal with Ray.

I just tried to order some pixel strips from Ray Wu. My credit card keeps getting rejected on his cite. What form of payment do you guys use.? The cite is giving me problems with authorization of my card.

In general CC companies like to reject foreign transactions, some more than others. You can call your CC company and explain that you are the one trying to make the purchase and that they should allow it. I've actually got to the point that every time I leave the country I call my CC companies and tell them where I'll be traveling so they unblock me.

• 2 weeks later...

So I received my 2811 pixels and 4 core connectors from Ray today. I'm still waiting on my E632 to arrive. Can anyone paste a link to the correct wiring diagram for the 2811 strips.?? You guys have been a great help to get me started.

Unfortunately there isn't a standard that Ray sticks to unless you specify what the wiring pinout should be. Look at the beginning of the strip and you should see the wire color and the marking on the strip (+12, Data, Gnd, etc). If you have an ohm meter check the 4 core connectors to see what color goes to what pin. Check everything 2 or 3 times before you plug it in. If you can't figure it out, post a picture of the connector and the beginning of the strip where the wires connect.

^----- can't stress this enough....

the pixels I just from ray had "non-convential" wiring..... the black wire was the +12v

Take a look at the circuit board the best you can.....I had to use a magnifying glass to see what was printed on the board.

I have found that for the most part power is usually the outboard connections.

Here is a picture of the 2811 strip. looks like it has 3 solder points with 4 wires. +12v,ground and data in.

Im still confused on what color goes with what pin on my waterproof 4 wire connectors. They have 4 wires black,red,green and blue.

do the four wires (red, black, black, and blue) pictured go to bare ends? or to a waterproof connector? maybe post a picture of end of the colored wires on the strip, and of the 4 pin connector. Ray has several flavors of connectors. I know of at least 2 types of black and 1 type of white..

to determine which pin is what color on the connectors you may need to pick up a continuity tester or an ohm meter.