Light-O-Rama Forums

Rolling Light Display?

We use the Honda EU3000iS generators all of the time for lights parades, works great with incandescent and LED lights. And we've absolutely had ZERO problems with LOR equipment. Other generators, we can't say the same for. Even when using its Eco Throttle technology, it still provides a clean pure sine wave for good and safe use with electronics and LOR! :)

A non inverter generator must run as close to constant RPM as possible, as RPM determines frequency. I've worked with some where the fuel injection ECU is the electronic governor to make it both as stable, and as fast responsive as possible.

Most consumer grade generators are just mechanical governors, which are ok for tools and stuff, but depending on how the controller firmware is written, may cause issues with dimming.

But the Honda EU series, and inverter generators as a class break down the link between RPM and frequency completely. By generating DC, and using a good inverter, they can run the rpm only as fast as they need to go run to make the wattage they need. It is kind of odd listening to a generator running 1500 RPM? And powering a big tent of demo big screen TVs and other electronics. But it was nice and quiet.

The voltage regulator also applies to conventional generators, and is similar to on a car. The alternator generates a current that is proportionate to the field current applied to it. The regulators purpose is to adjust the field current such that the generated current passing through the load is resulting in the desired counter EMF, or output voltage.

I know it's probably pretty obvious, but don't use cheapo LED strings for the float. The stroboscopic effect of half-waves in combination with movement would be very disquieting for many who are sensitive to it. DC would be much better in that regard.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

Just an update and a question. I am testing now using a Sears Die-Hard inverter 1150 with its own battery pack instead of a generator - much quieter - and it seems to be working. I am running 2060 led lights, a new LOR Showtime PC16 controller and a new LOR Minidriector. The audio system is battery powered and running from the Minidirector. I am now in testing and need to see how long it will run (I need about 3 hours). We will see.

Now the question - I will only be using the new LOR PC16 for a total of 12 hours during this whole Christmas season. I was wondering if I could add these 16 channels to my home display (say for arches), modify my sequences to add the additional 16 channels and just remove the PC16 on the 4 evenings I need the controller for the rolling display and still have my home display run without any problems (with the missing controller). I did a search of the forum and did not fine any results. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rick

Sure. The easiest way would be to put that controller at the END of your 'chain' of controllers. That way all you do is unplug it, disconnect the 16 channels, and pull the data cable.

When doing your sequences for the moving display, just use the same unit number that you do at the house. For example, if at the house this controller is Unit 4, define the 16 channels for the moving display as 'Unit 4'. It's OK to skip 1-3.

• Like 1

... define the 16 channels for the moving display as 'Unit 4'. It's OK to skip 1-3.

It's only okay if you have a Basic Plus or better license. With Basic, you are limited to units 1 and 2.

It's only okay if you have a Basic Plus or better license. With Basic, you are limited to units 1 and 2.

I'm assuming he does since he says he has 48 channels :)

• 2 weeks later...

My last update before the rolling light show. The sequences are done, the PC16 and minidirector are tested, the sequences and music have been downloaded to the SD card, the Sears Diehard 1150 is fully charged, the 2500 new LED lights are here, and everything is together here in my man cave. I ran for 3 1/2 hours (each show is to be 3 hours) and still had 29% left on the Sears battery/inverter. The show ran beautifully from beginning to end.

The Mayor has the Village DPW 4X4 truck, driver and the trailer. The DPW made mods to the trailer (side rails, etc) to allow passengers and to keep them from falling off in case there is any 'Christmas Cheer' passed among the honored guests riding on the trailer. We will be stringing the lights onto the trailer in 2 weeks, then we will be ready to go visit all the streets over 4 evenings to bring a little joy to each neighborhood.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out, but everyone in the village is getting excited - the Mayor put an article in our village newspaper telling everyone about the show and the dates. I've had several calls asking if I was not putting on my own show in my yard and doing the trailer instead. Never fear - I'll be starting putting up the lights immediately after I gorge myself on turkey.

Rick

Edited by Rickbj

A slight change of plans - they are calling for some shovelable snow this weekend so I was on my roof today starting to put up my house lights. I plan on finishing the roof lights tomorrow. I hate being on a snow covered roof - it's not the fall that gets you - it's the sudden stop at the end. The rest of the lights can go up in the snow after the turkey (and stuffing and cranberries and yams and pie).

I'm sure the Mayor will have someone taking videos along the way with Santa sipping on a beer or two.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the update. What a fantastic time we are having. The rolling light show is an amazing success. We have Santa aboard the trailer along with some other local residents. The Village DPW made side rails for their 18 ft long landscape trailer and provided a truck to pull it. The led lights and extension cords were donated by 4 local community service groups. I donated the LOR PC16 controller and the mini director. I have my Sears DieHard 1150 / converter powering everything. The sound is from my Brookstone outdoor speaker system. I programmed 13 songs for the trailer.

As we slowly cruise theough the Village streets and neighborhoods, the kids and the adults are coming out of their houses and are enjoying the music, shaking Santa's hand (and asking if they can have .... for Christmas). Every car that goes by honks and waves (using all of their fingers, not just one). This has been one of the most joyful things I have done in quite a while. The smiles, the laughter and the magic in the eyes of the children is something to see.