Light-O-Rama Forums

Video projector idea for LORII

Guest guest

Joseph Ayo wrote:

For us on the AL side, the way we "trick" the software which was NOT designed to play MPG or WMV with lighting, is we simply FORCE the software to accept the MPG or WMV by name and it seems most of the newer GForce GS or GT cards (not LE or Ultra models which are the cheaper with features disabled) have built in abilities using "clone mode" on the card to promote ALL Windows Media Player videos onto monitor #2. Its highly likely if you guys with a GForce GT card or laptop with dual monitors and NVidia chips will probably readily work too although to my knowledge, I have not heard of anyone with LOR or Spectrum doing this

It works!!!!!

I took a wmv file and renamed it to wav. Then set up a musical sequence using the renamed wmv file as the audio file. Bingo, run the sequence, video pops up on tv out, sequence runs as normal. So, here's the big announcement, to the same extent AL does, LOR currently already supports video sync!!!!!

I have an nvidia Geforce 6800GT card and used the settings in the nvidia software to tell it to run video files full screen on the tv out.

This is cool... :waycool:

Way cool,

You mentioned that the video comes out a TV output connector on the back of your video card. I wonder what other video cards would work..one with 15 pin VGA would be great.

On an nvidia Geforce 4000 or better with dual output, you can do this on the second vga connector the same as on tv out. Just need an nvidia card, Geforce 4000 or better with dual head support.

bhays wrote:

On an nvidia Geforce 4000 or better with dual output, you can do this on the second vga connector the same as on tv out. Just need an nvidia card, Geforce 4000 or better with dual head support.

OK let me say, My last video card was a GeForce 5200 "ultra", what made the ultra cheaper then others is it didnt have the dual Ramdac which means it could output on DIV, VGA OR Svideo but not multi-monitor mode.

Over Christmas I tried getting it to work by purchasing an ATI 9250 card with multimonitor - wouldnt work with it for me. I took the card back and then after Christmas I went to Circuit City and purchased a GeForce 6600 GS AGP card for $60 and it readily worked for me within 3 minutes of plugging in the card.

It can work with 2 VGA outputs or VGA+TV, the trick is, at bootup, the video card has to detect "2" monitors, rather it be 2 VGA cards or VGA + TV. It really doesnt matter rather you use "Clone" or horizonal side by side display. Clone mode is actually undesirable because in between videos, the screen with show flashes of Animation Director, Dasher or LOR so its better to run horizontal. Additional settings allow you to not extend the bottom bar into the second monitor, you might want to either turn the background black or use a background picture that states the name of your Christmas display because in this mode, in between videos, it will show the windows desktop and whatever backdrops are present there.

We also recommend, sync your shows to MP3's as always, when you make your videos, use windows movie maker, etc and load the MP3 first to establish your timeline and force the video the match the MP3 in timing (and not make your lighting off sync with lighting) and at the last minute at showtime, substitute the MP3 with the MPG/WMV. Windows media player videos are hard to deal with Dasher/AL and probably LOR because it throws a miniature video window without controls over the top of your sequencing grid even though it repeats this video screen in full screen on the second monitor. Also keep in mind, videos are much larger in size then MP3's, also to keep the sound quality as good as the MP3, you'll have to encode your video using very large bit rate sizes making each 1 song video something like 40 to 80 megabytes. This will add a "load time" to each video meaning dark/silent delays between songs will be increased by an additional 2 to 5 seconds depending on speed of your computer - deal with it.

Also to spell it out. You need a multi-output GeForce GS or GT card, this does not work using 2 separate video cards or non-Nvidia video cards. Spending $60 at Circuit City or Best Buy on a 6200 GT or 6600 GS Geforce video card will make you video compatible and its probably a much better video card then you have now!

Joseph Ayo wrote:

Windows media player videos are hard to deal with Dasher/AL and probably LOR because it throws a miniature video window without controls over the top of your sequencing grid even though it repeats this video screen in full screen on the second monitor.

bhays wrote:

Joseph Ayo wrote:

Windows media player videos are hard to deal with Dasher/AL and probably LOR because it throws a miniature video window without controls over the top of your sequencing grid even though it repeats this video screen in full screen on the second monitor.

You know I think this is so cool LOR can do video too, we cant share sequences but we can share videos and tricks in making videos so in a way, now some of the AL guys can have common ground with LOR in sharing things and they basically work way the same on either set of equipment.

What my message above yours was supposed to say is that I have not seen the little video window pop up over the LOR scheduler as you are describing with AL.

This is very cool. I am already working on video editing.

• 3 months later...

sorry to dig up the past, I have thought about doing video as soon as I saw Marty Slack (I believe it's his) Video of Father Christmas projected in view of an upstairs window on his house..my problem is where to get the videos from!!?

Many Thanks

Karl

I was going to DIY a projector or two- but- the size of these thigns are still pretty large. PLUS- Im finding plenty of used projectors, in good quality, for less expense (and time) than a DIY one.

Im working on mounting a projector to my roof top (over my garage), that projects the image to a mirror hanging over the garage, and then displays on the garage door. So now- my projector is not sitting on the ground somewhere exposed to thieves. Anyone else have any ideas?

• 2 months later...

How are you guys weather proofing/venting your projectors? I live in the Chicagoland area and the weather can be rough. I want to use a projector, but don't want to it to blow after a snowfall. If I seal it in a box, it may overheat. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Todd