Light-O-Rama Forums

Video projector idea for LORII

Guest guest

Lots of chatting about adding video to Christmas Displays over on the Animated Lighting forum.

It's been posted on this forum that video will be a feature of LORII. But how do you "put it together"?

Using a video projector is one way, but theft and bulb replacement limit your creativity. (Some bulbs for video projectors cost over $200.00 each !)

Here is a Link toEbay for plans to make your own video projector, no this does not appear to be a scam.

Here is the original link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIY-LCD-Projector-Project-DVD-VCR-Video-Game-Console_W0QQitemZ170082092448QQihZ007QQcategoryZ268QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

LightsByGreg wrote:

That type of diy projector is the real thing, I am building one myself. But why pay?
http://lumenlab.com/forums/

Greg

Wow way cool, I didn't know about that one !

The bulb life had me concerned, but with the projector you listed, its not a factor.

I'm going with the lumenlab (EVO 1.1) projector instead of a DIY one.

Thats what the Planet Christmas chat room is all about, exchanging ideas !

Nice site, Thanks

I've actually wanted to add the clip from Charlie Brown, where Linus tells him what Christmas is all about
I'm not sure about the legality of snipping something like that & broadcasting it?

Great projector!

Dave - I think if you only use a portion of Linus speech and not the whole
movie you'll be OK. You're doing it for non-commercial purposes.

I love that part and have been thinking about using just the audio but now I could
use the video as well!

If anyone is thinking of doing this, try to hookup with a Salt water aqaurium club in your area. I have a SW aquarium, we use MH bulbs
We only use them for about a year or less, the the color shifts
Once the color shifts they grow more hair algae then coral
So we buy new bulbs
and other ones hang around...and around...and around

I use 250w MH bulbs & 175w
I have a few spares

Scuba_dave wrote:

If anyone is thinking of doing this, try to hookup with a Salt water aqaurium club in your area. I have a SW aquarium, we use MH bulbs
We only use them for about a year or less, the the color shifts
Once the color shifts they grow more hair algae then coral
So we buy new bulbs
and other ones hang around...and around...and around

I use 250w MH bulbs & 175w
I have a few spares

Is there a source for the complete assembly (Bulb and starter) for a MH lamp ?

What about the cost, I hear the MH lamp are cheaper than video projector bulbs, but by how much ?

There are many many sources for the MH ballasts & bulbs
I would need to review the instructions again
But from what I remembered they specified 6500K (color rating) 400w bulbs
These replicate closest to sunlight, for SW uses they appear yellowish

LL65kT15 is what they specified - mogul based. This may not be a SW aquarium bulb - not sure. They list a lumen store in the link
They list the bulb at $50 - that seems like a good deal to me
I would get the bulb they suggest, then see if you can borrow some old bulbs from an aquarium person to check how they work
Not as many people use the 400w bulbs - electric prices going up etc

Not sure how much the video projector bulbs are....someone said $2-300?
I know a friend who has a projector & had to replace his within 2 years - $200

I usually buy bulbs locally at a SW aquarium store
Online place to give you an idea:
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting__index.asp?CartId=

The link states electronic ballasts & coil/core
The electronic CAN be subject to power fluctuations which can cause it to fail
As with any electronic device, make sure it is protected (UPS/good surge)

The bulbs get HOT & you will burn yourself if you tocuh it when its running/been running. As stated you need a 250w ballast for a 250w bulb
A 400w ballast for a 400w bulb
You can't mix them!!
There are newer electronic ballasts that can switch between wattages
But I've never used one. I use all coil/core ballasts for my aquarium
They last a long time

Compare that to a Bestbuy Infocus projector at $650 ($500 w/rebate - XGA model now $650 w/rebate)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8211115&st=projector&type=product&id=1166234894975

Bulb is $250

http://store.infocus.com/escalate/store/CategoryPage?pls=infocus&bc=infocus&cc=Lamps&clist=017080322b67&ret=Lamps&startNum=0&rangeNum=10

Bulb rated for 2000 hrs = 6 hrs a dy = less then a year

Dang, they don't tell us the power consumption numbers. Anyone know what the power is on this EVO projector?

Also, since I'm using the MP3 version of the LOR controller boxes, where my sequences are store don SD cards, and not a computer connection, I'll have to think up a way to get video to this box from a computer, which I was hoping to avoid dedicating a computer to this task.

It would be nice if this projector could be loaded with video files to playback at our request in the middle of a sequence.

Hey, this might be a suggestion to Dan for a later enhancement to LOR, to include video on the SD card in the MP3 player. Since we can already store MP3's on the SD card, then the next logical step would be able to store a nice little DIVX video file with MP3 audio. The video file on the SD card in the LOR controller could then be used to drive external projectors.

Just a thought, not whining, hope nobody tries to get my post deleted. :(

I went for the DIY model, because I wanted a project and there was no such thing as the evo when I started. When it gets finished, mine will have an ushio 400w MH bulb (which I bought from LL for $30, I guess they upped the price), a 400w electronic ballast, and 17 inch lcd panel 1280x1024, and a whole bunch of lenses. It will be a really small 30 inches long, 17 high, and 17 wide! Don't ask me how much I've spent on this project, probably about $6 or $700, but the resolution is a lot better than the evo (I will be using it with my computer).
Don't get me wrong, the evo looks like an excellent Projector for the price, I just wanted to do something different.

Here is what my box will look something like:
5e77a2b70d2d2c3cb32eed3b5031a255.jpg

Greg

Why not just spend $230 and buy a ZoomBox Family Entertainment Projector?

Costco has it on their web site.

http://host.exemplum.com/hasbro/costco_zoombox/zoombox.htm

It projects an 5 foot image, not really high resolution but something worthwhile for seasonal decorations. With a built in DVD/CD Player you can't beat the price!

The image should not look too bad when viewed from the street.

Walt

Walt, good thought there, I just see 2 problems with the zoombox:

Apparently it is not very bright. Maybe it would be ok though as long as you didn't have too many lights on.

The evo and almost every lcd diy projector can accept a vga input, which means the computer can output to it at it's highest resolution

Greg

My video projector was donated to me by a member of the local fan club and it was brand stinking new in the box, I broke the first tape and staples.

I dont know, I have not seen anything from Dan about official support for video but actually until this month, Animated Lighting didnt officially support video. It was actually by accident that we "happen" to be compatible for full screen video on a second monitor, the compatibility is made by Windows Media Player and I think Light-O-Rama also uses the Windows Media Player to play MP3's.

For us on the AL side, the way we "trick" the software which was NOT designed to play MPG or WMV with lighting, is we simply FORCE the software to accept the MPG or WMV by name and it seems most of the newer GForce GS or GT cards (not LE or Ultra models which are the cheaper with features disabled) have built in abilities using "clone mode" on the card to promote ALL Windows Media Player videos onto monitor #2. Its highly likely if you guys with a GForce GT card or laptop with dual monitors and NVidia chips will probably readily work too although to my knowledge, I have not heard of anyone with LOR or Spectrum doing this but here you go, this is information on how AL guys do it, maybe it will work for you! Here is an olive branch handed out to the LOR guys, we will be happy to have you guys join our video work cooperative so to speak!!