Light-O-Rama Forums

Question Regarding Networking And E131 Devices

GaryM

If I want to create a simple network to run E131 devices (looking at the E681 sandevices unit), can I do the following:

1. assign a static IP to the NIC in my computer.

2. connect NIC to a simple switch

3. assign a static IP to the E681(s)

4. connect E681s(s) to switch.

All IPs, of course, within the same subnet.

That seems like a much simpler way to go that to use a router, and have it handing out IPs. The IPs would always change, depending on DHCP settings, and while it would work, just seems like a less manageable way to go.

I understand the E681, and most similar devices are multicast, and there is some configuration to do there within the LOR software. I get that. I'm talking about the networking element piece of this.

But from a pure network device management standpoint, wouldn't one want to lock down the IPs on every element involved in their network?

Gary,

You can absolutely do that. I run exactly the same way. I believe the default of the E681 will be a static address of 192.168.1.206

dave

Guest wbottomley

The router/switch can run in DHCP mode but make sure each E681 has a different IP address. That way, the router has no choice but assign a particular IP to the E681 config. Does that make sense?

And... make sure each E681 has the correct DMX universes as well.

Edited by wbottomley

Guest Don Gillespie

The router/switch can run in DHCP mode but make sure each E681 has a different IP address. That way, the router has no choice but assign a particular IP to the E681 config. Does that make sense?

And... make sure each E681 has the correct DMX universes as well.

Exactly what William said I have been toying with this idea and William has given me some great advice, between him and Jeff I haven't come across anyone smarter than these two guys when it comes to this stuff.

• Like 1

Gary

Even if your device does support dynamic addressing I am a solid believer in assigning STATIC IP's to all E1.31 devices.

This also means the Show network can be simple.... adding DHCP is an overhead that is just not required.

Setting up STATIC IP's on the devices is not hard.

Cheers

Phil

I understand the E681, and most similar devices are multicast, and there is some configuration to do there within the LOR software. I get that. I'm talking about the networking element piece of this.

The J1SYS ECG Series of E1.31 controllers and bridges will also do unicast

The J1SYS ECG Series of E1.31 controllers and bridges will also do unicast

Thanks for clarifying, I shouldn't have said "most"...I've been mainly focused on the sandevices units. Need to spend a little more time looking at j1sys equipment.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but in reading the topic name, I think my question does apply.

I will be using a 681 unit this year. My show computer doesn't have an internet connection, so I intend on connecting it directly to the network card. I was thinking of connecting a USB network card on my programming computer, believing this will make life easier (I'll be connecting directly from a NIC to the card on each machine).

Does this make sense or not?

You could do it that way. Depending on which NIC windows decides is primary on the sequencing machine, you may need to add a static route for multicast.

In my testing, I just had my sequencing pc plugged into a switch, and the E681 plugged in elsewhere in the house. I'll probably go for a separated network in season though.

Gary

Even if your device does support dynamic addressing I am a solid believer in assigning STATIC IP's to all E1.31 devices.

This also means the Show network can be simple.... adding DHCP is an overhead that is just not required.

Setting up STATIC IP's on the devices is not hard.

Cheers

Phil

Phill, I have a question concerning this. What's going to happen if I were to assign a static Ip address to a E681 that's connected to a router on a home network running dynamic IP? Would the router honor that or would I be better off to assigning an IP outside the configured range of the internal DHCP server of the router?

For exambpe, I have the router configured to be 10.10.10.51 and the DHCP assigns addresses 10.10.10.1 through 10.10.10.50. Would I configure the E681 to a static address abve this range?

-Gary-

Edited by Gary Levelius

It is best to make the static assignments outside the dhcp scope. Modern hardware usually would catch something persistently answering to an IP in scope, but with the configuration pages on the E681 often not on line unless freshly restarted, they would not be detected by the dhcp server, and could create conflicts.

It is best to make the static assignments outside the dhcp scope. Modern hardware usually would catch something persistently answering to an IP in scope, but with the configuration pages on the E681 often not on line unless freshly restarted, they would not be detected by the dhcp server, and could create conflicts.

So the two devices would co-exist with no problems? In other words, the normal network traffic and computers with DHCP assigned addresses would co-exist with the static assigned address devices?

-Gary-

So the two devices would co-exist with no problems? In other words, the normal network traffic and computers with DHCP assigned addresses would co-exist with the static assigned address devices?

-Gary-

Gary

as klb replied just pick an IP outside the range being assigned by your DHCP server. anything above .51 in your case,

I have a mix of dynamically assigned and static ips on my own network and its all fine. An IP address is just that regardless of how it is assigned, the only thing you must be careful with is manually assigning two identical addresses, if that happens you get an IP address conflict, just keep a list and write on each device it's assigned IP.

Cheers

Phil

Gary

as klb replied just pick an IP outside the range being assigned by your DHCP server. anything above .51 in your case,

I have a mix of dynamically assigned and static ips on my own network and its all fine. An IP address is just that regardless of how it is assigned, the only thing you must be careful with is manually assigning two identical addresses, if that happens you get an IP address conflict, just keep a list and write on each device it's assigned IP.

Cheers

Phil

One additional question, and this comes from my somewhat limited info on routers (specifically a Linksys here) and that it since this router is my main connect point to the internet (a cable modem in this case), will the network traffic for the E1.31 also go out through the cable modem? Perhaps this is something I will need to explore unless someone has the answer :)

-Gary-

I'll let the Network guru's expand on some technical detail or correct the following basic statement.

Short answer is no, the modem should not pass the multicast traffic outside the network.

Most cable/fibre/adsl "routers" really are just functioning as Modem, Firewall, IP Address Translation boxes with DHCP services and often "routing" type functions to provide for port redirection.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks for all the valuable info..it validates what I originally thought.

Was ready to buy the sandevices E681, but I think now i'll hold out for the E682; that should suffice for anything I want to do this year.

I'll let the Network guru's expand on some technical detail or correct the following basic statement.

Short answer is no, the modem should not pass the multicast traffic outside the network.

Most cable/fibre/adsl "routers" really are just functioning as Modem, Firewall, IP Address Translation boxes with DHCP services and often "routing" type functions to provide for port redirection.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Phil. In our case, the cable modem is a separate box, attached to the router via cat5 cable. The router does all the rest of the functions you mentioned. On thing I miss in this router is the ability to allow specific IP addresses to be assigned based on the MAC address of the device connecting to the rouiter. The previous router I had (a four port Netgear) had that option. In that case I could have set up all the MAC addresses of the E681 devices and they would automagically get the right IP address :) All of them could have been set up as dynamic addressing and therefore could have been used anywhere in the system.

-Gary-

Gary

be worth taking a look at

Online Mini Conference # 9

E1.31 controllers and bridges By Donny m Carter and AussiePhil

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Online+Mini+Conference+%239+E1.31+controllers+and+bridges+by+Donny+Carter+and+AussiePhil&iso=20120803T18&p1=1956&ah=3

Donny and I will be going over the devices from Sandevices and J1Sys

I know who Aussie Phil is, who is Donny M Carter? Is he on the forum? (no offense to anyone, just wondering).

I'm really looking forward to getting more details on the sandevices stuff, as I'm pretty sure thats the one I want.

Edited by GaryM

Donny is on several holiday decorating forums and FB pages. You can check out the members list for the forum/FB page you are interested to see if he is on.