Light-O-Rama Forums

Few Questions About Rgb

mattpatt

Thinking about outlining my roof and windows in RGB. I have been doing a lot of reading and the way I understand is that I could either go DMX and use a dongle with a DMX controller and power supply or I can use a LOR DC controller? Is this correct? Thinking about going with the WS2801s from Ray Wu. How are you guys mounting them?

Thanks,

Matt

if you want to use dumb strips or strings then a lor dc controller will work fine. It will controll 5 seperate strips or strings. That being said you can use two or more per channel. If you want smart strips or strings then you will need to go the dmx route. the smart strings will take many more channels to make them chase and also change colors.

Dumb strips is what I'm looking at. I assume the strips can be daisy chained together? i.e the roof line as one big strip. I understand there would be power loss and I would probably need to inject power somewhere along the way.

How is everyone mounting RGB strips?

Matt, if you're just wanting Dumb strips avoid any strips with numbers, like 1804, 1903, 2801, 2811, 3001, 3005, 6803 etc... or with any type of microchip, these will also be Smart stings and require something like this -

http://sandevices.com/E681info.html to run them. Something like these Dumb RGBs may be what your looking for. I used them in my 4th of July display and LOVED them.

Mine were mounted to wire framed stars but mounting on PVC would work or inside of PEX tubing...

Here is a good

TOPIC and check out THIS ONE too.

Matt

One thing worth considering from a investment value perspective is to use RGB strip based on the 2811 IC's, the 12V version is cheap enough to be seriously considered instead of dumb strip. 2811 strip at Ray , at just over $7 a meter it is cheap enough to compete with dumb strip.

Control it with a J1Sys ECG-P2 controller that can controller up to 68M on each output, 136M (400') with both outputs, add 12V power into sections and you have a solution the likely beats a dumb rgb strip on price.

Even using the 12Universe Pixel controller from J1sys could be price competitive with dumb strings.

Cheers

Phil

Matt i would agree with what Phil has said here, the cost of pixels has come down a lot to the point when you factor in controllers, cabling and interface that it may very well end up cheaper for you going to pixels instead

I have just mounted my strip to 25mm electrical conduit and then just hook it to the gutters and for the roof line i have added some cable tie attachments

Below i have attached a chart comparing the main E1.31 pixel controllers that are available to the hobby, so do the sums using the 2811 strip and you may be very surprised.

Controller%20Comparison.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies.. So they way I understand it...

For dumb RGB strips I'll need...

LOR DC controller but I'm limited on amperage and only 5 RGB channels. Good thing about this is that it is easily intergrated into the LOR network. I would also need some sort of power supply for the dumb strips.

or...

I could go DMX. This would reaquire a power supply, DMX controller and a dongle to go from DMX to USB.

Matt

Edited by mattpatt

Matt i would agree with what Phil has said here, the cost of pixels has come down a lot to the point when you factor in controllers, cabling and interface that it may very well end up cheaper for you going to pixels instead

I have just mounted my strip to 25mm electrical conduit and then just hook it to the gutters and for the roof line i have added some cable tie attachments

Below i have attached a chart comparing the main E1.31 pixel controllers that are available to the hobby, so do the sums using the 2811 strip and you may be very surprised.

Controller%20Comparison.JPG

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. Pardon my ignorance but how do these controllers interface with LOR?

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. Pardon my ignorance but how do these controllers interface with LOR?

Thanks,

Matt

Using the recently released E1.31 output in LOR S3 Advanced

Matt

One thing worth considering from a investment value perspective is to use RGB strip based on the 2811 IC's, the 12V version is cheap enough to be seriously considered instead of dumb strip. 2811 strip at Ray, at just over $7 a meter it is cheap enough to compete with dumb strip.

Control it with a J1Sys ECG-P2 controller that can controller up to 68M on each output, 136M (400') with both outputs, add 12V power into sections and you have a solution the likely beats a dumb rgb strip on price.

Even using the 12Universe Pixel controller from J1syscould be price competitive with dumb strings.

Cheers

Phil

Phil -

Looks like the ECG-P2 does not exist on the website; is this a custom or special order unit?

Also, what is the difference between the 2801 and 2811 protocol?

Can a 2801 controller be used on a 2811 strip?

I have a 6803 kit from Ray Wu and it seems to work well, even at a 5 bit level.

LOR's CCR is rumored to use this, with software dithering, to get 256 levels.

I've heard the 2811 is smoother with 256 levels and the price is great.

Just doing the research before making an investment.

Any suggestions?

Any word on the upcoming E682?

Phil -

Looks like the ECG-P2 does not exist on the website; is this a custom or special order unit?

Unfortunately J1Sys is running a few days behind getting the website updated for the new product range, you heard it here first but it is expected the ECG-P2 to be shipping in under 14 days.

I've added a photo of one i have sitting next to a gift card that is the same size as a credit card.

Also, what is the difference between the 2801 and 2811 protocol?

Key difference is 2801 is a four wire system and 2811 is three wire and they are different protocols

Can a 2801 controller be used on a 2811 strip?

No, but the ECG range is supporting 2811 (as is 68x)

I have a 6803 kit from Ray Wu and it seems to work well, even at a 5 bit level.

LOR's CCR is rumored to use this, with software dithering, to get 256 levels.

I've heard the 2811 is smoother with 256 levels and the price is great.

any of the 8 bit types 2801/2811/180x should be smoother and nicer than 6803, the price is the big attraction for 2811 12V strip.

Just doing the research before making an investment.

Any suggestions?

Lot's of suggestions, but most will be guided by your actual requirements, i'm largely staying with 2801 myself this year but will have up to 20-30M of 2811 strip i think.

Any word on the upcoming E682?

I have no concept of what a 682 is, unless it's the rumoured 8 universe unit, in which case a P12R still offers greater pixel number outputs. The ECG-P2 is 8 universes :)

Cheers

Phil

post-10310-0-64376900-1343662263_thumb.j

I understand how all the other controllers connect to pixels but how does the ECG-P2 connect to pixels?

That's a broad statement "all the others" :)

My checky response is exactly like all the others, with a connector. :)

Longer response.

The ECG-P2, DCG-P2,uDCG-P2 pixel controllers are following the concept of the xmas communities original Pixel controller the TP3244 that did not provide power to the pixel string.

The J1Sys range does however introduce some significant updates to the concept in the via PassivePOE the controllers can power directly up to 25 pixels. The controllers could in reverse be powered by the voltage used to power the attached string.

Essentially though you just plug in the Pixel/strip/module as you would with other controllers and provide power seperately.

I have a how to video under development for the P2 series.

Cheers

I wasn't even considering pixels/rgb strings until I read this thread. Currently I have 2 CCR's I use for arches and was planning(thinking about) to get CCB's for lining my roof. After reading this thread I am now thinking about getting some of these 2811 strips to line my roof, windows and anything else I can come up with (including maybe my toy solider drummer wireframes if thats possible with the bends and such).

So I wanted to say thank you everyone for the great information on this thread, now I need to go research how to power a P12R and put this all together. I have never dealt with anything other than LOR protocol.

• 2 months later...

Where can I purchase the E1.31 controllers..? And, to confirm, how do they connect into the environment..? I am using the standalone MP3 Director, I am assuming that these would work with that, too..?

E1.31 is connects directly to your ethernet card in your computer. You don't need any other controller to make an E681 or other E1.31 device work. Since you are using an MP3 director instead of a computer you will need an adapter that converts the LOR signal to E1.31. For your display an ELOR from Sandevices will convert the LOR signal from your MP3 director, and send E1.31 to the pixel driver. With my dispay it functions like 4 - idmx 1000's grouped together.