Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone Else Doing A Pvc Superstar 12 Ccr Tree?

jimswinder

Anyone Else Doing A PVC Superstar 12 CCR Tree?

I finally got around to putting mine together today, and to say the least, it did not turn out as well as I had hoped (and no, not because it fell down!!) :wacko:

So was wondering if anyone else was building their CCR Tree from PVC and attaching the ribbons to them.

If so, have you set it up and is it working for you and how did you do it?

Thanks!!

Are you sure it didn't fall down? :P

maybe THAT'S my disappointment...it's still standing!!! :blink:

No...I just can't seem to get nice straight lines with the PVC...I know how I COULD fix it...but then I would lose my ability to store it so it won't get damaged.

Right now I have the first 10' of CCR tie wrapped to a 10' section of 3/4" PVC, which when stored has the other 6' of CCR loosely tie wrapped to the same piece of 10' PVC..which is then stored in a 2" x 10' PVC.

So I could put Crosses at certain points of the CCR PVC pieces to keep them separated perfectly...

Edited by jimswinder

I like the idea of notching a cross piece (as opposed of using a cross to connect them).

Would require putting it together on the ground though...but sounds doable.

Thanks Jeff!!!

Can't wait to own 12 of these. Right now, I have to settle for 4 and make an attempt at 4 circles.

If you do this, you better take some really good pictures...

And just to be safe, please take the pics right away after you get the thing upright. Referring to the tree, of course...

I am hoping to build mine in about a week. I am going to try and build mine using 3 pieces of unistrut bolted to my main pole- so the 1/2" pvc will be spanning about 7 ft using 3 pieces of strut horizontally . My last year tree had 1/2 pvc supported about every 5 ft. and seemed to work just fine. I do build my tree laying down and than stand it up.

Steve

post-7274-13439536613479_thumb.jpg

My tree will have metal supports and PVC rays. They swivel at the top and the star will be removable. I'm still trying to decide if I should use the pylon for the star. It will be 30" wide when closed. Mine will have a metal main pole that will stay standing, so use PVC for your main support Jim. We can't wait for this year's collapse.

post-7274-13439539079905_thumb.jpg

Has anyone tried 1/2" EMT instead of PVC? It's fairly lightweight and is ridgid compared with PVC. Price is about the same and comes in 10' lenghts. It can be conected with couplers that screw into the pipe and can be un-done for storage. Just a thought. John

BrownOut ....... or is it Logan

Looks good.

Just to be sure I understand your design.............Is your top horizontal support about 30 inches, hence the storage size? Is you plan to leave all the ribbons attached to the rays and just pivot them at the top- leaving all 12 together for storage ?

Steve

You got it Steve! The four lower horizontal pipes will be removed during the off season. I will just cut and replace the 48zip ties each year. They are cheap and took no time to install. There will be 30" supports for storage that I should have a picture of this weekend. Ribbons will stay attached.

I am planning a 3 foot five point removable star for the top with 50 pixels on it. All the stuff is here at the house. Just have to finish building it.

-Logan

Great pictures Logan! How will you ship to me, assembled or in kit form?

jeff

I am building a rocket pad right now. How are your catching skills?

I decided to add "Crosses" to my CCR tree, and put them at the joint of the 10' and 6' section of PVC. After putting it together I think it separated the PVC pipes just fine top to bottom. I was thinking about putting another cross piece on near the top (like Jeff M suggested), but then I would have to assemble on the ground...and my CCR tree will be on my roof (just don't have any yard space!!). Plus doing it this way still gives me the ability to store the 10' PVC pieces with the CCR Ribbon attached into a 2" piece of PVC for protection and the other two pieces are also small enough to store

So the pic below shows the CCR tree without the "Crosses" (1st pic), the two 6' lower pieces (mid pic) and then the CCR tree with the "Crosses".

Edited by jimswinder

Logan,

A couple questions.....

1. What size conduit are you using... pvc and emt?

2. Approximate overall height minus the star?

Thanks, Ed

OK, so why aren't you lighting the crosses with white LEDs? You can use that in your arsenal of stuff to pick from when you're Sequencing...

Jeff

PS, nice job Jim!

LOL..it would be about 5 LED's per cross!! But I like how your thinking!! B)

Logan,

A couple questions.....

1. What size conduit are you using... pvc and emt?

2. Approximate overall height minus the star?

Thanks, Ed

The rays are 3/4 electrical PVC. The main center pole is 2 inch fence post tube. The top and bottom horizontal poles are 1" metal electrical conduit and the center supports are 3/4" metal electrical.

The height is about 18' without the star. This leaves room at the base for snow and also keeps the ribbons off the ground- they are about 16.5' long. The base is 12' wide.

It has rained so far this weekend, but I still plan on putting the 30" perminant supports on the tree and a few cross angle supports- I will post more pics soon- It is a green tree now and 9 ribbons are installed.

-Logan

I have been working on my tree in my basement. Thanks Logan for the size at the top. I was planning to make it as a sharp of a point (narrow) at the top till you gave me the 30 inch number. The size makes sense and will more closely match my star. I think the wing span on my star turned out to be 42 inches. I cut up two dumb RGB strips and made 4 concentric stars.

I am using 4 pieces of unistrut horizontally and the frame still seems wispy. I will know better once I mount it on my pole. I also plan on mounting the controllers to the lowest unistrut.

While I was waiting for the green paint to dry, I started working on a container for the controllers. I think my solution makes for neat wire management. I have 6 controllers together in a 12x16x6 container- one network.

Steve

post-1755-0-01154800-1344651623_thumb.jp

post-1755-0-27805500-1344651642_thumb.jp

post-1755-0-62600400-1344651653_thumb.jp

post-1755-0-77333100-1344651675_thumb.jp

post-1755-0-44965400-1344651698_thumb.jp

I made mine about 2 3/4" center to center at the top and 12 inches center to center on the bottom.

Steve