Light-O-Rama Forums

Ok So I Have S3 V3.50Advanced And E681..now What

Crazydave

So i upgraded to S3 v3.50Advanced And I have installed USB485 drivers.

Also I set the e681 to dhcp and it is correctly receiving the ip address....and I can use its webserver.

So now how do I get LOR to send commands to e681....is the e1.31 support documented anywhere?

Edited by Crazydave

Go to network preferences, click on the DMX tab, then click the advanced button. Click on the line for universe 1, a box will pop up . click use E1.31, click on the multicast button. Do this for all 4 universes. Make sure to start the LOR control panel before you start the sequence editor. Your E681 should output to the lights at that point.

Little help here. What is the E681? Also is this device required to use E1.31? Is this also called a DMX bridge?

You can use any E1.31 device you want with LOR. The E681 is just one particular device that decodes up to 4 DMX universes from E1.31, and directly drives up to 16 strings of smart pixels from that data. There are plenty of other devices that do this, and plenty of other ways to use E1.31.

Other ways like what? Can you just use direct connection from your PC RJ45 jack to your DMX controller? Or is their always another device required between your PC and the controller?

Other ways like what? Can you just use direct connection from your PC RJ45 jack to your DMX controller? Or is their always another device required between your PC and the controller?

Other ways means, Smart strings, pixels, and strip, etc.....

You direct connect to a PC RJ45 via your ethernet jack directly to the "pixel" controller (E681) in this discussion, or to a network switch, then to the pixel, or DMX controller

I tried to go from my PC to a network switch then to my DMX controller and nothing worked. I tried with it set to multicast as most of the info I have read says but got no results. Some help with this would be great, want to utilize the E1.31 capabilities without spending anymore money. Have several DMX controllers, have a network switch. Have no knowledge how to do this. :P

Is there some wiring configuration I'm missing in the cables?

Generally, devices will speak DMX over RS485, or DMX encoded in E1.31 over Ethernet. A device designed one way won't run from the other type of connection.

Generally where the two meet is through a bridge that decodes a few (often 4) universes of DMX from E1.31 and puts them out on separate RS485 networks for devices that expect DMX on RS485.

In general, unless your DMX device states it directly accepts E1.31, don't connect it to any Ethernet device.

If you only need a few (less than 200) DMX chanels, you may be better off with an enttec DMX adapter plugged into the PC.

The primary reason E1.31 was added is for people running large numbers of pixels. For example, 500 RGB pixels takes 1500 channels.

One of the items I am looking at doing this year would be 8,160 channels, or pretty much 16 DMX universes. This is where E1.31 really starts to become required.

Thank you klb for your help. DMX controllers are directly E1.31 capable so I will require a bridge. Have 2 Enttec Pro USB adapters and 2 of the LOR 485 adapters. Should be good for this year. But now I have the info I need for next year. :D

Sorry controllers are NOT directly capable. Little typo there.

1.31 does not require anything between the router/computer/switch and the 1.31 capable component. I dont think your getting that point yet. If you havent read the Aus boards how to pdf yet. I believe its page 37.

I am having problems with my devices:

I have 3 LOR controllers and 1 CCP and e681.

When I have only the LOR contollers and CCP everything works ok. the lights all work, the CCP works the sequence editor runs fine and the visualizer runs in sync with everything.

when I go to advanced network devices and turn on e.131 DMX universe.. then the LOR controllers stop working.. the sequence editor cannot keep up and the visualizer runs like crap.

I get nothing on the LOR controllers and nothing on the e1.31

Edited by Crazydave

Also the "Control Lights" keeps turning off.

if I remove the e.131 from the advanced networks... the LOR Controllers work again.

The control lights will turn off if you A) do not have the USB485 connected upon startup of LOR software or B) do not have comm listener running.

As above, you must have the control panel running, and the LOR com listener program must be running, in order to use DMX from the sequence editor. Let us know if you are trying to run this in some other way like show on demand.

I open control panel

the listener is running it says both universes running

I do have the usb485 connected to ccr

Edited by Crazydave

How much PC is this running on? Does it behave differently if you turn off more of the LOR display update features?