Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Distribution

mattpatt

Hi,

I was wondering if some of you veterans could post examples of your power distribution infrastructure? I have 2 LOR controllers and a single 220V dedicated breaker in the house breaker box I can use. My plan was to run this single breaker over to a smaller panel where there would be two 30A 110 breakers installed and I would have 4 dedicated outlets. I'm planning on running mostly LED so I figure I'll be okay but I'm wondering if this will be enough to allow for more expansion in the future and if so how much? I don't see myself ever having 100s of channels but I could see myself running at least 64 someday and I'm trying to figure out what I need to plan for power wise.

Thanks,

Matt

http://forums.lighto...ble power panel

That's the link to the old thread. I don't see the pictures anymore, not sure what's up with that.

I had a 50amp RV outlet installed on the house and built a portable panel. I currently have 6 15amp outlets on the panel. That will be increased to 12 by showtime this year, if I have time.

However, if you are 100% LED, then you really don't need anything other than a couple of 20amp outlets. Denise is running 50K LED's on 2 20amp outlets.

Edited by David Rise

Thanks for the link! The pics came up for me. This gives me some ideas for sure. I like the idea of a portable panel so it could be stored in the garage or where ever when not in use so it will keep the wife happy. I'll just run a 220 outlet underneath my front porch then make something similar to your portable setup that will plug in. A single 220 outlet will be a lot easier to hide then permanently mounting a sub panel and outlets underneath the porch. LOL

Matt,

I feel that your not listening. If your 100% LED, 2 15 amp outlets will last you a life time. I am 99% cause I have 1 blowmold santa with a 60 watt light in it. And this year I am adding a mega tree. Got C9 on roof line. 4 sets of icecles on gutters, 4 arches. 14 18" spiral trees. 8 lollypops, 2 wire deers, window frames and some other stuff. And only pulling 10 amps. This is with everything on at the same time. I bet I only peak to about 7 amps at any time during the show. You are really going way overboard. But if you feel better go ahead. But it really is not necessary.

• Like 1

Matt,

I feel that your not listening. If your 100% LED, 2 15 amp outlets will last you a life time. I am 99% cause I have 1 blowmold santa with a 60 watt light in it. And this year I am adding a mega tree. Got C9 on roof line. 4 sets of icecles on gutters, 4 arches. 14 18" spiral trees. 8 lollypops, 2 wire deers, window frames and some other stuff. And only pulling 10 amps. This is with everything on at the same time. I bet I only peak to about 7 amps at any time during the show. You are really going way overboard. But if you feel better go ahead. But it really is not necessary.

Max-Paul your killing me I sure needed that good laugh! Like paul said you need to listen a little bit...or do a little reserch....I am running 128 channels....never say your not going to have more than 100 channels! I thought the same thing last year I had 48 channels with 50% LED & the other half incandesent with a ton of light I had to calculate the light load and make sure I had the power for it.This year I have 128 channels and only had to add 2 circuits @ 20 AMPS each.The whole tolal of circuits I have is 4 20 AMP circuits just do the reserch a little bit or ask and listen.

Matt, listen to those that have done this, last year I had 9 controllers and 14,000 led lights, with all on at same time they only pulled less than 8 amps. I do have 4-15 amp circuits, but that only means that I need more lights (will have 11 controllers and 20,000 led lights this year).

• Like 1

I thought I needed all that stuff based what folks posted. I didn't realize that most of them were using incans. Since I am 100% LED, I only needed 2 dedicated outlets to run all my lights.

PLUS....I now have a RV outlet that the parents can use when they come down......Ok, maybe I didn't think that one through.....LMAO!

Well here's my situation. I have a 220 breaker in the house breaker box that isn't being used. I'm a amateur radio operator and I used to have my radio station inside the house and I needed a separate 220 feed for my amplifiers. I have since moved my radio station out to a shop building in the back yard so I'm not using the 220 circuit anymore. I'm going to go up in the attic and move the wire over and drop it down to the front porch where I will have a 220 outlet. Then I plan to make a setup similar to David that will have two 110 breakers in a box and 4 outlets, Two outlet on each breaker. I already have most of the stuff to do it, even the new sub panel. I'll have room for growth and according to you guys, way overkill but I'd much rather it be like that than not have enough. My biggest problem in this whole deal is going to be lights. I don't think I bought enough last year for what I want to do. I will be 99% LED with a couple Mickey and Minnie Mouse blowmolds.

Oh, thats just terrific, another ham!! :blink: LOL! Matt, with those lines, you'll be able to add more lights than your town has! :lol:

TJ, NS2E

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...