Light-O-Rama Forums

HELP!

Guest guest

Sorry if I missed something, or there is something in the thread that proved this wasn't the problem but did we rule out that the Hardware Editor wasn't running at the same time the show was trying to run?

Steve

Steve Bang wrote:

Sorry if I missed something, or there is something in the thread that proved this wasn't the problem but did we rule out that the Hardware Editor wasn't running at the same time the show was trying to run?

Steve

Steve,

Joe ran out of power, er energy. We hope he will figure this out and have the show going tomorrow.

But there is still tonight Joe :].

We're all here to help, as you requested.

Heck, I'm curious too Steve.

Tom

Ok sorry about my messy previous posts before..I was just in such a panic! Here is what it has come down to:

I talked to Tom, via phone (would recommend him to anyone for help)

We went though everything that was humanly possible and could not find the problem

My set up is a Belkin USB/ Serial Portable Adapter connected to a SC485-RJ45 serial Adapter then a reg. cat 5 cable that connects to the unit. I uninstalled and reinstalled the belkin software and that was not the issue. I was suggested by Tom to try to install LOR on my other computer in hopes to prove that this computer was missing a small componet, which was also the not case. So the only thing that i left that I can think of is the belkin adapter. It has three led lights that usually light up when it used to communicate with the board, they are labelled, LINK, TX, RX. And now only LINK and RX light. SO tomarrow i am going to buy a new one in hopes that it is the problem or else I HAVE NO IDEA!!!!

Also THANKS EVERYONE WHO IS TRYING TO HELP ME EVERY WAY POSSIBLE , ESP. TOM!!

THANKS!

OK well I replaced the Belkin and it had a steady light about 30 seconds then I went into the sequence editor and then I lost connection. Now that I am thinking it seems to be the serial adapter. Other than that I honestly have no idea... again, any help would be great

I have a similar problem with my sc485/cat5 connection. The cat5 plug fits into the sc485 rather loosely. If I pin the cable between the sc485 and the wall it usually works fine, but if the cable is bumped I'll lose communication. I've tried other cables but they respond the same way. I ended up using the green cat5 cable that came with my LOR boxes for the 2006 show, but had to arrange it "just so" to make it work. Why doesn't the cable fit snugly into the sc485 so that all the contacts are made? I'm at the point now where I am going to take the sc485 apart and hardwire the cat5 to it just to make sure there's a solid connection. I don't have the same problem where the cat5 goes into the 16 channel board, only with the sc485.

Joe Petrowski wrote:

OK well I replaced the Belkin and it had a steady light about 30 seconds then I went into the sequence editor and then I lost connection. Now that I am thinking it seems to be the serial adapter. Other than that I honestly have no idea... again, any help would be great

While not directly related to your issue, this might be useful. Quite a while back, I did some testing with the Belkin serial-USB adapter you are talking about. It caused a number of problems for me even with the latest drivers so I went with the USB RS485 adapter with booster http://store.lightorama.com/uscoadwivobo.html and haven't had problems since.

The Belkin was about half the price of the LOR unit. However, the Belkin unit is now in the Collin County landfill. A small price to pay for no more issues.

• 2 weeks later...

OK LOR is great! They helped solve the problem. It was the SC485-RJ45 serial adapter. At first when I mentioned that this possible could be the problem to LOR they told me the chances of it going bad was 1 out of 500 so I doubted it was the problem, but I was wrong! Just wanted to let you all know what the problem was..

Thanks all who tried to help with my problem on such short notice!

Also I was in such panic on Valentines Day's Day because I was in two local papers and then my whole system shut down. I hope that this never happens to me again or anyone else for that matter!