Light-O-Rama Forums

Neighbors wondering why I have a tree in the yard

Guest guest

Rusty, Are your HD trees the holiday time ones with the white metal tube framework and are like mega trees? I was planning on doing the same thing you did and was wondering how well the tree stood up with all the additional lights. Thanks, Roy

Yes. They have white tubular framing and a less than perfect base. But they worked fine and even without all the support connected they withstood an unexpected storm last night (tornadoes in the area and 45 mph gusts in my yard)

I am spray painting the framing matt black and adding more lights.

But I am pretty happy with it. I think I may try to add additional lighting to the star though.

I bought three of them after Christmas on discount and plan on having them in the yard with the megatree and minis.

My LOR PC kits came in today. Excited....

RW

Gotcha! I know what you're talking about. I had one in my hands a couple times and put it back, but I did scoop up a couple other good deals at discount.

I had a brainstorm, though. I want a portable mege tree, so i don't need to rely on a flag pole. And the thought that what goes up must come down, makes me think of how to simplify projects without loosing the effect. So I was thinking... Ever made a portable teatherball setup? Get an old tire and metal pole and cement the pole into the tire as a base. So for a mega tree, just add a sturdy hoop for the bottom of tree that lies right at the top of the tire and string lights on to that. No need to attach light strings to ground. When you need to move it, just push it over and roll the tire while keeping the top part of tree up off ground.

FBinthesouth wrote:

My guess is that I'm not alone but someone chime in so my wife will believe me! :)

I had bought three 11.5' trees from Home depot the week after christmas and I set one up Sunday the 11th to see how well it would handle the additional 1800 lights I was putting on it.

So it is up and flashing in my backyard running a loop so I can see if I have 'holes' that need additional lights and my wife says the neighbors will think I'm nuts! She's probably right.

But planned for this christmas I have a 25' megatree with 52 channels, 3 11.5' trees with 15 channels between them, 24 minitrees with 48 channels and this is my first animated year. So I "needed" to see how long it would take to get it up, how it would look, whether my idea for attaching the extra lights would be appropriate, how sturdy it would be, blah blah blah...

The LOR controllers worked perfect out of the box I must say. But then after the research I did prior to buying I expected that....

If you think thats bad... wait until you guys get ability to sync MPG and WMV (in sync with lights video for video projectors).

Imagine my neighborhood, it was the weekend before Valentines day and I got the neighborhood kids with Santa hats in front of a video camera canning film to use with videos I need to make for next years's displays. My immediate neighbors know year round Christmas production is normal for us, but people from blocks away driving thru roll their eyes.

Guess not... I tried it last night and got the same unknown device... again, everything worked fine, its just that the HW utility device file needs to be updated to recognize the CTB16PC... I looked at the LOR device file (LOR_DeviceFile.txt) and it doesn't have the CTB16PC in it...

dandyman wrote:

Guess not... I tried it last night and got the same unknown device... again, everything worked fine, its just that the HW utility device file needs to be updated to recognize the CTB16PC... I looked at the LOR device file (LOR_DeviceFile.txt) and it doesn't have the CTB16PC in it...

That was an oversight. We will get a new "devices file only" download so people can get the latest version without the need to update software.

OK guys and gals. Thanks for the vindication and validation!

Just finished building a new FM100B tonight and it worked first time. Swhooo. Now on to the three PC kits from LOR I just got!

RW

• 4 weeks later...

LightORama wrote:

That was an oversight. We will get a new "devices file only" download so people can get the latest version without the need to update software.

Dan, did this ever get put up for download? I set the unit ID on my first card tonight and noticed the 'unknown' thing. I didn't see the file on the site?

FBinthesouth wrote:

My guess is that I'm not alone but someone chime in so my wife will believe me! :)

Am I a nut or can someone vindicate me!?

RW

I hope you are not a nut otherwise I'll need a room in the asylum next to you. I spent the weekend assembling a three bell 22' campanile with a 6' cross. All of the neighbors were over at one point... mostly to see if I was going to fall off the roof putting the cross on.

Attached files 126842=7530-S_DSC01486.JPG

Bryce wrote:

I have a tree up too (16'). My neighbors think I am crazy but my wife understands.

You bring the kid in at night right?

I'm beginning to think we are all a little bit off our collective rockers. But it sure is fun!:waycool:

Heh, sometime in May I am going to start splicing and stringing my new C9 runs on the house eaves. Red, Green and White so I want to get em up, wire tied together, custom extensions on to reach the plug boxes, etc while the weather is *nice*

I'm thinking I'll do the mini-mega tree on the side of the house then too. No need to do new construction when it's chilly out.