Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB 16D

Denny

I am using the CMB16D to control dumb RGB strips. To make wiring easier, I am using four wire security cable to connect the RGB strips to the controller. I can connect two strips to each bank on the CMB16D which uses 6 channels of each bank. Can I connect a fifth RGB strip using two channels of one bank and one channel of the opposite bank? Since the CMB16D switches the negative, will the positive lead connected to one of the banks allow control of the circuit connected to the other bank? The CMB16D will be providing 12 volts on both banks from the same power supply. Should/could I safely bridge the positive with a jumper between the two banks or is this necessary (or would it damage the CMB16D)?

I did just that last year without any problems but someone with more electrical knowhow should address if this is the correct and safest way. I have heard many say that a DC controller can control 5 RGB dumb strings so this approach must work.

Right, so long as both banks are being powered by the same power supply this will work well. Getting a wee bit tricky if you have two different power supplys. One feeding one bank and the other P.S. feeding the other bank.

• 1 month later...

Dear Smart people :)

I'm using these connectors http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/601827982-4core-waterproof-connector-with-20cm-long-cable-male-and-female-black-color-the-male-connect-s-wholesalers.html

to connect my LoR DC board to my dumb RGB LED strips. What is best to run the wire from the board to the strip, extension wire that's insulated. I deal with rain/snow/wind, so the wire needs to be tough.

I am using the CMB16D to control dumb RGB strips. To make wiring easier, I am using four wire security cable to connect the RGB strips to the controller. I can connect two strips to each bank on the CMB16D which uses 6 channels of each bank. Can I connect a fifth RGB strip using two channels of one bank and one channel of the opposite bank? Since the CMB16D switches the negative, will the positive lead connected to one of the banks allow control of the circuit connected to the other bank? The CMB16D will be providing 12 volts on both banks from the same power supply. Should/could I safely bridge the positive with a jumper between the two banks or is this necessary (or would it damage the CMB16D)?

There was an issue in another thread that had their rgb setup exactly as you describe and fried channel 8. The answer seems to be with his issue that his power supply had two rails, V1 and V2. He had 1-8 on V1 and 9-16 on V2. V1 and V2 apparently didn't play nice together.

I run 5 RGB channels to 6 Rainbow Floods using a single power supply and a single DC controller. If you use a single power supply to both sides, then the positive terminals for all channels are connected to the same thing. No problem.

In order to keep the RGB layout simple in the sequence editor, the 3rd RGB channel uses channels 7,8,9, the 4th uses 10,11,12, and channel 16 is unused (although I'm thinking of using it to power a relay to control the strobe lights).

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a simple wiring/pinout diagram they could share or quickly draw up on this..? I'd appreciate it to insure I'm getting this correctly. I've got the 5050 RGB dumb strips.

Does anyone have a simple wiring/pinout diagram they could share or quickly draw up on this..? I'd appreciate it to insure I'm getting this correctly. I've got the 5050 RGB dumb strips.

Is this what you are looking for?

1. red1 9. blue3

2. green1 10. red4

3. blue1 11. green4

4. red2 12. blue4

5. green2 13. red5

6. blue2 14. green5

7. red3 15. blue5

8. green3 16. SPARE

• 3 months later...

I've ordered my DC controller from LOR and some dumb RGB strips as I plan for my 2013 display.

I have a question about connecting the RGB lights to the board. Jason noted this wiring diagram:

1. red1 9. blue3

2. green1 10. red4

3. blue1 11. green4

4. red2 12. blue4

5. green2 13. red5

6. blue2 14. green5

7. red3 15. blue5

8. green3 16. SPARE

Am I correct tin assuming that for each RGB strip that you are connecting the + to any positive output on the DC controller (lets assume the same power supply for both banks) and the noted pin outs for RED, GREEN and BLUE are all connected to the negative post on the output?

Dear Smart people :)

I'm using these connectors http://www.aliexpres...holesalers.html

to connect my LoR DC board to my dumb RGB LED strips. What is best to run the wire from the board to the strip, extension wire that's insulated. I deal with rain/snow/wind, so the wire needs to be tough.

Late response, but could benefit others: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202316270/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=shielded+wire&storeId=10051

Tough wire for the great outdoors.

Late response, but could benefit others: http://www.homedepot...e&storeId=10051

Tough wire for the great outdoors.

I don't know how this compares with the above for toughness..........but I got some and the price is 1/3........... The same seller also has shielded in case you want it. Thanks to another Steve for sharing this deal.

Steve

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c2db34731

mnosey

You are correct in your assumption. All the +ve outputs on each bank of the DC board are connected together on the board itself.

also would like to add that the mosfets on the board are always hot,so take care when installing your board not to have metal touching the mosfets

12V fixtures use much more current than 120v LEDs, and can tolerate much less voltage drop, so try to keep the fixtures as close to the power supply as possible. I used a 12v RGB spotlight that was about 30 feet from the power supply, so I had to run 2 18-gauge cables in parallel to keep the voltage drop tolerable.

• The topic was locked