Light-O-Rama Forums

I'm Having Some E1.31 Issues... Anyone Want To Help?

coasterbp

Ok, so here's my setup=

- 1 LORUSB dongle on COMM Port 6. No Issues.

- 1 Enttec Open USB DMX dongle on comm port 5 and in the network configuration panel, it is assigned to Universe 5. No Issues.

- 1 E681 Pixel controller with IP Address 192.198.1.206 (the default IP) set up as Universes 1-4. No control over lights.

So, in the network preferences program, I have the LOR set as Regular, Average and the comm port is selected correctly. In the DMX tab, I have Universes 1-4 set at E1.31. IP address 192.168.1.206 - Port 5568, and Universe 5 selected with the correct adapter.

When I start the control panel, I get all good connection/open messages. Adapters seem to be working properly. I start the sequence editor, select control lights, and hit play. I have just a simple test sequence running. Everything seems to play along except for my pixels.

Some more info: Outside of LOR, I can successfully load the pixel controllers web page, run test patterns and all that. So it isn't a connection problem. When I start the control panel, I do see the LAN activity lights begin flashing.

So for some reason, I just can't get the pixels to play correctly yet. Where should I start looking at/changing? If you need screenshots of pages, let me know.

Thanks everyone for the help!!

-=CoasterBP

First do you have advanced setup and what universes do you have your USB485 and your Entec open, are they in 1 and 2? Try adjusting your E681 to universe starting number 6 just to try out. Run it in test mode to make sure the pixel work regardless of incoming info. Now back to network setup. Make sure you in advanced, change 6,7,8,and 9 to 1.31 protocol Mulitcast output. exit everything lor, reload the control panel, then your Sequence editor. Change your univerese on your sequence and test.

From your statement it sounds like you are trying to send on unitcast with a specific IP. Dont do that, set those outputs to multicast.

Important to make sure you are not overlapping universes, or attempting to. Must have control panel or listener open. Is control lights selected in sequencer. Are you 100% the E681 is setup for the correct universes and in its own test mode outputs on the pixels.

I know many more will help out in here as well. Please if you can post a screen shot of the E681 setup page, as well your network advanced page that will help greatly. The rest is in sequencer which is easy as, you just select the proper universe for your pixels.

Edited by GoofyGuy

post-4002-0-78526600-1342297962_thumb.jp

post-4002-0-71099200-1342298017_thumb.jp

post-4002-0-38615500-1342298021_thumb.jp

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies!

Here are some answers -

1) Yes, I do have an Advanced License. I can successfully control other DMX devices using my Entec USB Open.

2) Here are some screenshots. As you can see, the Enttec is on Universe 5 and works correctly. Universes 1-4 are the E681. No output. The sequence you see in the background is the test sequence with an RGB spot light that runs DMX and is being controlled correctly. The other channels are RGB Channels 1-170, (DMX channels 1-510 on Universe 1) that are supposed to be my pixels. No output.

I will try changing Universe numbers. I'll let you know what happens.

Change it to multicast, the rest looks fine. I cant see in SE what the channels are setup for, as long as they are DMX and univese 1 you should see output.

Multicast is the missing part there.

Edited by GoofyGuy

The E681 does not do unicast E1.31. You have to use the standard multicast addresses for the universes, or the E681 won't hear it. The configured unicast IP for the E681 is management traffic only.

When I change to multicast, it changes the IP address. Do I have to change the IP address on the E681 to whatever it assigns it? And if yes, I just go to the pixel web page and type "IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" correct?

Correct about the ip access, I'm not sure about the fact that you can't change the ip address for a custom one, I'm sure its possible but maybe not through LightORama.

dont do anything on the E681 side, just assing your universes and pixel types. on LOR side Multicast and let er rip!

When I change to multicast, it changes the IP address. Do I have to change the IP address on the E681 to whatever it assigns it? And if yes, I just go to the pixel web page and type "IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" correct?

When you specify multicast, it is going to the correct multicast address for that universe. It has zero to do with the IP address that you assign to the E681. The E681 sets these multicast addresses automatically when you configure which universes it is supposed to respond to.

Edited by -klb-

Ok. I changed the IP address on the 681 to 239.255.0.6 (which is what LOR put in the IP address box when I clicked multicast) by typing in "IP 239.255.0.6", saving the changes and exiting and still nothing.

you need to let the E681 set its own IP when it connects to the network, this is its default action.

On LOR side, when you change anything in the Network setting you have to close down all LOR software including the LOR in the tool tray. Restart LOR, make sure the DMX listener is running.

It sounds like you keep changing everything in the wrong order. I suggest start over from scratch. master reset the E681 board, setup your pixel types and strings like you did the first time. run test to make sure they run. DO not change anything IP related, only change your universe numbers to what you want assigned. Then go into the Network setup of LOR and setup your Universes to multicast, do not make any other adjustments to LOR or the E681 that has anything to do with IP addresses. Restart your E681 so your router assigns an IP to it, then restart all your LOR software and off to playing with pixels.

Sorry I can't help. But.... Greg just posted a video on setting up E1.31 using an Etherdongle. As time goes on, and things get ironed out, hopefully more videos can be created on how to setup the multitude of possible devices that people might use. This is some powerful stuff but the networking side of it can be very complicated for most people. These how to videos are wonderful learning tool and I think will help a ton. This technology is going to be awesome.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/topic/50778-e131-dmx-and-lor/

The trick to most devices is knowing they send or recieve information. The E681 is a multicast device. You can setup specific Ip's and such, but it is not required. Setup the univereses as you would normally, and no matter where they are on the network, they will recieve thier signal. You can run many hubs, switches, port, and so on, if they are on the same network, the data will find its way. The only downside to Multicast is each controller recieves info for all universes, then sorts out what its looking for. This isnt a huge issue on todays 100mbs or 1gigabit routers, but older 10/100 if not setup properly can run into a data bottleneck.

The Etherdongle, E68x series, and most of the Joshua systems are ready as multicast, all you need to do it tell them what they are to do in terms of what universe, the network will do the rest.

And don't forget to take the E681 out of "test" mode.

Most DMX devices will run through a color fade when there is no DMX signal present. In order for the 681 board to recognize the LOR signal it cannot be in test mode.

Make sure the settings are:

Test Pattern: 00

Edited by Shubb

Yeah. Not in test mode. I make sure of that. I also make sure that I "quit" the web server app as well, making sure that the red LED on the board is flashing so that Socket 4 is looking for DMX.

I did just watch Gregs' E1.31 video. Am I supposed to be using a crossover cable between my computer and the 681? I'm going directly from the LAN jack on my computer to the 681. No router....

Thanks again for everyones' help. I appreciate it!

-=CoasterBP

Yes. DMX listener is open and working. Im actively controller a RGB spotlight when I'm testing. Jeff, if you look at my first post, you can see screenshots of the listener. I'll try starting from scratch when I get back home from work and I'll try the multicast setting again.

This is supposed to "just work". Can you post the following:

* a pic of the status screen from the web interface of your E681

* A screenshot of your network config, after you switched over to multicast?

Edited by Tim Fischer

Tim, I posted a pic of my 681 config screen in the first post. I'll try the multicast again and if it doesn't work, I'll post a screenshot of that page as well.

Thanks!

-=CoasterBP

I got mine to work with setting the LOR IP addresses in the Network Preferences for the first 4 universes as:

239.255.0.1 Universe #1

239.255.0.2 Universe #2

238.255.0.3 Universe #3

239.255.0.4 Universe #4

Everything else looks good in your setup.

Been testing this with a Sandevice unit as your attachments show.

Each Universe needs a unique IP address.

Edited by Dennis Cherry