Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer Crashed.

randall

My computer crashed twice in one day. Was recovered with disk. Was trying to do some sequencing for my show. thought everything was all good, but didn't know that the files were being stored all over the computer. Have tried placing them all back in the lor folder but they just keep being sent to different folders in my computer. Have no clue where to go from here. Still need to do more sequencing but don't want to waste time if they will not load to my sd card either. Any info or ideas would be helpful.. Tried to reboot lor software 2 but says i have a newer version than the disk i received. The only other option that i can think of is to erase the lor file in my computer and start all over losing all the programming i have done, or buy a new computer and just start all over from scratch.

you can save you files on an sd card,once you find you files remeber to save as and put the file where you want it. If you just save it then it goes back to the current location.when transfering files you need to do the same thing.

I would copy all of your sequence files and audio files to an external source. (Flash Drive, CDRom, SD Card, External HD, etc.)

Then uninstall the Light-O-Rama software from your computer. Once that is done re-install the version of LOR you are using onto your computer. You can download it here.

When you first run the software pay attention to the pop-up box asking you where you want to store your data files. Once you choose that, then copy your sequence and audio files onto the computer in that data directory you choose. Sequences go in the "Sequences" folder, audio files in the "Audio" folder.

The uninstall/re-install might help resolve the issues of files saving all over the place (and correct other as yet unseen issues with the disk recovery.)

Saved files to a usb card. Uninstalled lor files. Reinstalled download in previous from Don, my code does not support 3.5 so re uninstalled and went to 3.1.4 installed never asked for a folder to save files to. have all sequences on drive tried to move them to lor sequence folder but would not move them. any ideas where i am going wrong? Now when i go to put the license key in it is also asking for a registration key. Does this mean i need to re purchase a software to be able to use this?

Try this:

• Un-install LOR.
  • Run the LOR Registry Wipe program. (You should use this version, since you are using 3.1.4) Note that this will cause any preferences that you have set to be reset to their defaults, so you would have to deal with changing them back the way you want them after the wipe.
  • Re-Install LOR 3.1.4

Since you ran the registry wipe, it should ask you again for the location to store the data files. If it does not, then you would want to follow the directions listed here.

If entering your license key is giving you fits, you may want to do the offline registration. For instructions, see here.

Thank you for all the help. Computer crashed again so just went and bought a new one. Back on track now. little less money in pocket, but the show will go on now. Took a while to get all the files back in and where they belong, but now tomorrow i will be able to start sequencing for this years show.

Just as an aside, did the old computer crash randomly or when hot ? At a specific point after clicking something? Most likely crash causes:

1) bad power supply

2) bad memory stick(s)

3) bad hard drive (failing)

4) bad motherboard

5) bad OS install (corrupted or missing files)

I. Replace your PS with a new one ($35-$50), see if that fixes the problem.

I.I. If it crashes when hot, clean/replace the cpu fan.

II. If still crashing, then RAM memory is cheap now, unless you've got an older computer. Find replacments on eBay.

III. Hard drives are also very cheap. A 250-300gb hd is abt $50 and come with imaging programs to copy the old drive, Acronis is very good, and you can get a free trial copy (use for 15-30days) just by downloading it.

IV. A bad mobo is a little tougher to fix/replace as any new mobo now would require a new processor unless you get the same mobo off eBay.

V.. If you have your OS or Recovery disks, backup what data you can, then do a re-format/re-install.

If any of the above fixes recover the computer, you can then use it as a dedicated show computer. After you reinstall the OS, just do the Service Pack installs then leave it unconnected to the internet and run your show with it.

Edited by TJ Hvasta