Light-O-Rama Forums

Backyard July 4Th Show With Dmx Led's And Fog

caseydtaylor

This is my first year using LOR, and for July 4th I put together a show in my grandparents backyard for the fourth. They live on a golf course and every year about 300 people walk through to see the country club's fireworks, so i thought it would be the perfect oppurtunity to put a show together.

I should mention I'm also a DJ and the majority of the LED's came from my uplighting inventory...

Oh yeah, I'm 15.

The show was built using the LOR Showtime Controller, and a LOR DMX dongle. I used 8 American DJ Mega TRIPAR Profiles, 4 American DJ Mega Pixels, 2 American DJ Sparkle LEDs, 2 Chauvet Tridents, 1 Diversitronics Mark II Strobe, & 2 High End Systems F-100 Lightwave DMX foggers. One of the Mega TRIPARS complemented a huge 8' by 12' American flag that hung in the trees.

In the beginning of the show, there are several Jet flyovers I put together myself that were automaticlly panned from right to left to simulate a jet actually flying over. We had 2 EV Eliminator KW subwoofers and 2 EV Sx100+ Powered speakers placed in the the yard and you could feel the jet rumble by.

I hope everyone enjoys the video... It really didn't do some of the effects in the show justice... Please message me if you're thinking about using DMX and have any questions... I learned the hard way how to get it to work and it took forever! But otherwise... enjoy Stars, Stripes & Lights 2012.

So a few things I learned, the show was to long, and even with free cookies and lemonade, it wasn't enough to make people hang around for the entire thing. Next year I'm going to shorten it, and add some cooler effects...

Some extra still shots are attached...

post-10558-0-21188100-1341770311_thumb.j

post-10558-0-49048100-1341770312_thumb.j

post-10558-0-39051400-1341770313_thumb.j

post-10558-0-82436000-1341770313_thumb.j

Sorry, you lost my attention after about 2 minutes. The lemonade and cookies might have kept me for another minute or two, but you can only do so much with uplighting on trees.

D.T.

Sorry, you lost my attention after about 2 minutes. The lemonade and cookies might have kept me for another minute or two, but you can only do so much with uplighting on trees.

D.T.

DownTown- This is my first year and if you would have read the whole discription, you would have seen that I acknowledged it was way too long of a show. I'm going to shorten it next year.

Please go to your video manager and turn off blocking for mobile devices. I'd like to have played this on my iPad.

Sorry.... youtube won't let me... they're annoying with all their copyright crap... I'm going to try and upload it to vimeo so hopefully you can view it then.

Casey,

Don't you dare apologize! I don't care what others say I think that setup was absolutely fantastic. For your first year it is incredible.

I think so many people around here get so used to "copying" each other and having the same elements in their display they really lose out on originality. This was original and a ton of fun. I like the fact that you used a lot of DMX products too.

We did a setup like this for a wedding/catering hall here in NJ. They used all our Rainbow lights and can just change the colors depending on the color scheme of the ceremony they are having. Pretty neat setup.

Don't ever apologize for your work. You dedicate yourself to it and should be proud of it. In my opinion, it looks fantastic!

Greg

• Like 1

Casey,

Don't you dare apologize! I don't care what others say I think that setup was absolutely fantastic. For your first year it is incredible.

I think so many people around here get so used to "copying" each other and having the same elements in their display they really lose out on originality. This was original and a ton of fun. I like the fact that you used a lot of DMX products too.

We did a setup like this for a wedding/catering hall here in NJ. They used all our Rainbow lights and can just change the colors depending on the color scheme of the ceremony they are having. Pretty neat setup.

Don't ever apologize for your work. You dedicate yourself to it and should be proud of it. In my opinion, it looks fantastic!

Greg

Thank you so much! It's nice to finally get a nice response to what I put so many hours into.. I learn from my mistakes and I'm glad your reply wasn't "Sorry, you lost my attention after about 2 minutes."

• Like 1

It was a nice show. Not something I'd stare at for the full show but would make nice background atmosphere for a party. I do think you need more elements if you want it to be the "main attraction".

But nice work, please don't take the constructive criticism the wrong way.

• Like 1

Please go to your video manager and turn off blocking for mobile devices. I'd like to have played this on my iPad.

i dont see that option, where is it exactly? i want people to be able to have my videos played back on mobile devices too.

It was a nice show. Not something I'd stare at for the full show but would make nice background atmosphere for a party. I do think you need more elements if you want it to be the "main attraction".

But nice work, please don't take the constructive criticism the wrong way.

I totally agree! Next year is already in the works, and I'm hoping to add lasers and some more dance music for the kids. Thanks for your comment!

i dont see that option, where is it exactly? i want people to be able to have my videos played back on mobile devices too.

Go to one of your videos (make sure you are logged into youtube), click edit>advanced settings>syndication.

It will be greyed out if youtube has already identified that you have music that has been copyrighted, that's why you can't see them on mobile.

You'll have to watch out for the lasers, you need certain licences, keep it from shining into the sky and keep it from shining in peoples eyes, its a lot of trouble.

I am a huge fan of american DJ. I take it you are a dealer or know someone. The mark up is pretty good. I have a friend that is a dealer.

Awesome display! You do have it right that people have very short attention spans.. 3 minutes is really pushing it for a display unless you have the budget of Disney on your side.. But even then, Alot of people will give up after they realize it will be longer than 4 minutes..

Luckily it looks/sound like your display could be shrunk down fairly easily for next year. Keep it going and years down the road, you will have quite the following that will come by to see the display..

-Daryl

• Like 1

You'll have to watch out for the lasers, you need certain licences, keep it from shining into the sky and keep it from shining in peoples eyes, its a lot of trouble.

Oh yes, much research has already done on lasers... they may be high powered, or low powered.. it all depends on the $$$

I am a huge fan of american DJ. I take it you are a dealer or know someone. The mark up is pretty good. I have a friend that is a dealer.

Nope.... all the lights were purchased (some new, some used) on ebay. I am a DJ so I have an inventory of various effects, and we were able to rent some.

23 minutes 6 seconds, favorite part! My neighbors hate me right now as I have this cranked to the max! No need to sorry's here, love the show regardless of length.

Edited by GoofyGuy

Casey,

you should be proud of what you have done, and at 15!

Great job, and I had the same issue with my patriotic display this year, needs to be a bit shorter. Part of the whole process, learning.

The trees do get a bit repetitive, but it is still a good job on programming, and getting it all set up to work.

Congrats and I look forward to more from you!

If I may also add... If you like the music, all of the audio can be found on iTunes... here are the track titles in order.

(I really tried to move away from all the traditional patriotic songs that people have heard 1000 times over, and also Katy Perry's "firework")

1. Support Our Troops (A Patriotic Tribute With Military Sounds) - Patriotic Fathers

2. Liberty Fanfare - Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich Kunzel (The Voices for these can be found on Youtube, just search what either of them say if you're looking for a particular one)

3. You're a Grand Old Flag - 101 Strings Orchestra

4. Sing, Sing, Sing - John Williams and the Boston Pops Orchestra

5. The Stars & Stripes Forever - Arthur Fiedler & Boston Pops Orchestra

6. In the Mood - John Williams and the Boston Pops Orchestra

7. Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy - Boston Pops Orchestra & Keith Lockhart

8. God Bless America - Céline Dion

9. The Star-Spangled Banner - New Japan Philharmonic Orchestra & Seiji Ozawa

10. Afro Circus/I Like to Move It - Chris Rock & Danny Jacobs

Some of the jet flyovers were taken from and mixed Garage Band and here are some of the other effects that came from iTunes... (in no particular order)

Fighter Jet A10 Thunderbolts Fly By - Sound Effects

Foley / Jet Fly By - Sound Effects

Big Bang Fireworks Display (Proud to Be an American) - Patriotic Fathers