Light-O-Rama Forums

Lor Shell Commands

lkcubsrule

At ICE today, no one seemed to be familiar with LOR Shell commands. I am looking to incorporate them, as I believe they will be valuable to my display...but I know NOTHING about them.

Here's what I'm trying to do: have LOR send me a text message (via email) when the show starts up and shuts down. (I run a remote display) I believe I can just throw some code into the startup and/or shutdown sequences to make this happen. However, can anyone explain in detail or point me in the right direction as far as shell commands go?

They can execute any Windows command line. For most folks, this will be a .BAT file which can contain a small script.

I use it to send X10 commands to my CM15A (since LOR doesn't support anything but the CM11A for X10) on show startup and shutdown. I might also be using it this coming season for RDS data to the FM transmitter.

If you have a way to send an email message from a .BAT file (or the command line) you're good to go. If not, I'm sure someone here can tell you how to go about doing it (I'm not sure how myself, although I bet a bit of Googling would be enlightening).

At ICE today, no one seemed to be familiar with LOR Shell commands. I am looking to incorporate them, as I believe they will be valuable to my display...but I know NOTHING about them.

Here's what I'm trying to do: have LOR send me a text message (via email) when the show starts up and shuts down. (I run a remote display) I believe I can just throw some code into the startup and/or shutdown sequences to make this happen. However, can anyone explain in detail or point me in the right direction as far as shell commands go?

As time said, this can be done with a tool to send email. Check this old thread post #2

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/15588-texte-mail-when-shows-startstop/page__hl__blat#entry145582

S3 has many good replacement values so you can write a generic command which will work for all songs.

here is one that I am going to use in my display this year to automatically shutdown my computer

I am going to have the sequence set for 1 minute in the schedule after all the main show has ended

If you want to do it here is an example of the command

shutdown -s -t 240 -c "computer is being shutdown by Light O Rama because the show has ended to abort this shut down in run type shutdown -a"

you can play with this command in you run program dialog box

shutdown -a will abort the shutdown

for the command you need shutdown first then -s for shutdown if you want to put a time on it use -t seconds

if you want to add a message with it use -c "message"

here is one that I am going to use in my display this year to automatically shutdown my computer

I am going to have the sequence set for 1 minute in the schedule after all the main show has ended

If you want to do it here is an example of the command

shutdown -s -t 240 -c "computer is being shutdown by Light O Rama because the show has ended to abort this shut down in run type shutdown -a"

you can play with this command in you run program dialog box

shutdown -a will abort the shutdown

for the command you need shutdown first then -s for shutdown if you want to put a time on it use -t seconds

if you want to add a message with it use -c "message"

Just a note - the windows command will run immedately upon loading the sequence, so having a 1-minute sequence won't help you.

What you COULD do is have a one-minute, empty sequence (with no command) in the shutdown tab, preceding the one with the command. Since the scheduler will run them in order, this will result in a one-minute delay before starting your "shut down the computer" sequence.

Of course, you'll need a way to start the computer back up before the next show (manually or otherwise). Me - I just leave the computer on 24/7 during the season.

Ooops Sorry about the typo Tim.

No worries. I've been called much worse :)

I just searched "send an email using a batch file" on Google and there were plenty of results

Thanks. I was searching for things along the lines of shell commands and returning with no valuable information for a first timer.

Just a note - the windows command will run immedately upon loading the sequence, so having a 1-minute sequence won't help you.

What you COULD do is have a one-minute, empty sequence (with no command) in the shutdown tab, preceding the one with the command. Since the scheduler will run them in order, this will result in a one-minute delay before starting your "shut down the computer" sequence.

Of course, you'll need a way to start the computer back up before the next show (manually or otherwise). Me - I just leave the computer on 24/7 during the season.

No worries. I've been called much worse :)

I did create a sequence with nonething in it for the command to run I did forget about the shutdown tab that would be easier to remove then having to delete the schedule file since a 1 minute command in the schedule would be hard to click on it

some computers have an automatic on featuer in their bios settings I have to check if my show computer does or if I have to do some fiddeling to make it come on by it self

Titus, I have my pc setup to automatically power up when the AC comes back on. I shouldn't need it as I have a whole house generator that powers up after 30 seconds of loss of power, and a battery backup, but should the battery backup fail, the auto powerup cmd (in the BIOS as you stated) works a great fail safe.