Light-O-Rama Forums

Proper Way To Use Rj45 Dangle

MWilliams6275

I'm looking at using the RJ45 Waterproof Dangles for my CTB16PC unit I'll be putting together in the next week or two. Maybe it doesn't matter, but is there a preferred/recommended way to snake the cable from the top of the board, around/over/under and on out?

I'm just wondering if there are any issues with the cable being too close to any of the circuitry and/or the power cords, mainly if any of that will introduce any statics/interference on the CAT5 signal.

Anyone having a photo of how they did it would be appreciated.

I just snake mine up through the cat5 hole in the controller housing, inside the housing I then snake it under the white wires and plug into the cat5 jack. Never had any static or electrical issues with it.

Only other way I could see to avoid any of those internal electrical wires or circuit board would be to drill an access hole either from the side or top of the controller housing nearest to the cat5 internal jack.

Only other way I could see to avoid any of those internal electrical wires or circuit board would be to drill an access hole either from the side or top of the controller housing nearest to the cat5 internal jack.

This could lead to problems with water entering the box, I do not recomend it.

This could lead to problems with water entering the box, I do not recomend it.

It just seemed to be about the only answer for someone trying to keep the cat5 away from the circuit board circuitry or the electrical wires inside the controller. If using those RJ45 dongles, drilling a hole and installing them in those locations should keep the water out of the controller, or so I'd think since they seal the hole and are supposedly waterproof.

The OP stated they were using an RJ45 dongle, which I took to be one of those items that is installed in a controllers box so you don't have to open the box to install the cat5 cable, it has a small cat5 cable that plugs into the controller and the exterior has the cat5 jack to plug the cable connector in. That's how I interpreted what the OP was using and asking how to keep the cat5 wiring/cable away from any electrical wires and off the circuit board circuitry.

That's why I stated the only way I could see of doing it how they were describing was either by drilling a hole in the top or side of the controller housing closer to the interior cat5 jacks on the controller.

But just drilling an open hole to run a cat5 cable through, no, I would not recommend doing that either, just run the cat5 cables through the pre-existing controller opening designed for them and snake them under the white wires inside and over the circuit board. There are no issues with running them that way, been doing it that way since I started..

Edited by Slipstream

I use shielded dangles, and run them straight from the bottom of the box, direct to the controller. I've run them this way without a single problem. I think the ones in the LOR store are shielded, they look similar to what I use. All my boxes have 2, 1 for input, and 1 for output.

It just seemed to be about the only answer for someone trying to keep the cat5 away from the circuit board circuitry or the electrical wires inside the controller. If using those RJ45 dongles, drilling a hole and installing them in those locations should keep the water out of the controller, or so I'd think since they seal the hole and are supposedly waterproof.

The OP stated they were using an RJ45 dongle, which I took to be one of those items that is installed in a controllers box so you don't have to open the box to install the cat5 cable, it has a small cat5 cable that plugs into the controller and the exterior has the cat5 jack to plug the cable connector in. That's how I interpreted what the OP was using and asking how to keep the cat5 wiring/cable away from any electrical wires and off the circuit board circuitry.

That's why I stated the only way I could see of doing it how they were describing was either by drilling a hole in the top or side of the controller housing closer to the interior cat5 jacks on the controller.

But just drilling an open hole to run a cat5 cable through, no, I would not recommend doing that either, just run the cat5 cables through the pre-existing controller opening designed for them and snake them under the white wires inside and over the circuit board. There are no issues with running them that way, been doing it that way since I started..

Orville,

It really isn't a big deal for short distances. Where you'll get signal interference (possibly) is if you run the wires in parallel for many feet. I even zip-tie my cat5 to a power wire on each controller for a strain relif on the cat5 jacks.