Light-O-Rama Forums

Reputation Ratings

shfr26

I see that if you go to a post that has been rated by people, you can see who rated it and how they rated it. My feelings are this is not a very good idea. Let people rate it fine, but don;t show who rated it how. I think all this can possibly do is start a "empting of liquid from the bladder" contest between people. Someone will think, Well if he rated my post down, I'm gonna rate his down. I did rate one post down and then I saw that person went to my profile shorly after that for some reason. I just feel that by showing who rated it how could cause tensions between people. I'm sure others will feel differently, but that is why we all have our right to our opinions. I just think it's a bad idea.

• Like 5

Guest Don Gillespie

I see that if you go to a post that has been rated by people, you can see who rated it and how they rated it. My feelings are this is not a very good idea. Let people rate it fine, but don;t show who rated it how. I think all this can possibly do is start a "empting of liquid from the bladder" contest between people. Someone will think, Well if he rated my post down, I'm gonna rate his down. I did rate one post down and then I saw that person went to my profile shorly after that for some reason. I just feel that by showing who rated it how could cause tensions between people. I'm sure others will feel differently, but that is why we all have our right to our opinions. I just think it's a bad idea.

Good catch shr26 this would start a war on this forum as some skin is thicker than others the thin skinned would come unglued

Yes, I saw your post after I posted. I can agree, get rid of the dislike if you want. Like I said, I think it will create problems left the way it is now, just my opinion.

Edited by shfr26
  • Like 1

Completely agree.

Heck...I think I am leading for negative posts (-2 for posting a pictue!!! LOL ) and I've only posted a couple of times!!...so let's keep em!!! :P

Edited by jimswinder

Dislike doesn't fit with the Christm

Dislike doesn't fit with the Christmas spirit !

i fully agree with you fellows i see no useful reason for a dislike button

well I dislike that you dislike the dislike button!! lol

• Like 2

I have a feeling that the software allows both buttons or none at all.

I kind of like having the ability to vote posts up. I agree the vote-down button has the potential to be abused, but I'd rather have the both than none at all. It's public info who votes posts up or down in either direction, and hopefully that transparency will help prevent abuse.

• Like 1

Every time I've wanted a dislike button, it was to dislike the message, not the messenger. If other people feel the same way, hopefully people viewing will remember that the dislike goes against the messenger, rather than the message.

And hopefully those who get the dislike can console themselves that it may have been the message that earned the dislike, not themselves as the messenger.

• Like 1

I posted in another thread (and I'm probably driving the moderator nuts with my posting queue as I guess everything I want to post still gets screened :( ), but I would vote for dumping them all.

Is personal opinion of someone's thoughts really that important?

If their information is incorrect, or needs more details, couldn't someone just (in a nice way) post and say that?

• Like 1

I definitely think the dislike should go. Especially since you can accidentally hit the dislike and you cannot take it back.

Nice to know my fat fingers can only hit the red one by accident 3 times a say.

ok, which one o' you jokers gave me 3 Neutrals already? Can we turn that lil puppy off? That stuff just starts ratings wars and will be used to attack/retaliate.. I'd just as soon not have it, at least on my profile.

Heck...I think I am leading for negative posts (-2 for posting a pictue!!! LOL ) and I've only posted a couple of times!!...so let's keep em!!! :P

guess it depends on th' picture, ay? P-)

ok, which one o' you jokers gave me 3 Neutrals already? Can we turn that lil puppy off? That stuff just starts ratings wars and will be used to attack/retaliate.. I'd just as soon not have it, at least on my profile.

That means 3 people gave you a +1 rating. That's a good thing :) You (and everyone else) can see who did it by going to your profile and clicking on "reputation".

It appears that anything between 0 and 9 is "neutral", and 10 and above is "good". Maybe there are even better ratings above that.

I have my user hat on here, not a moderator hat.... This is not an official position, it's MY position :)

I went through the first 20 pages of the user list, sorted by post count. That is to say I looked at all users who have approximately 75 or more posts. I found only 3 people with neg reputations. 2 of them were -1, and 1 person was -8 and yes I was responsible for a couple of those negs to him.

IMHO it appears that things are working out just fine. I personally would give it several more months, perhaps even through an entire season. I'll bet at that time you'll find the good people have bubbled to the top, the bad people to the bottom, and the whole system is self regulating.

Showing who voted what way on a user, positive OR negative, is a good thing and actually skews the whole thing towards the positive: Unless there is a good reason to vote a message down, you won't do it.

• Like 2

ggrrrrr!!! (couldnt edit the above) :angry:

ANY news abt changing the Edit time? I discovered its a total of 5 mins from the original post time, not 5 mins from the last entry (including edits)

Maybe there are even better ratings above that.

Yep there are. Jeff M. has a +30, and is rated "Excellent".

<wayne's world voice> We're not worthy! We're not worthy! </wayne's world voice> :)

Edited by Tim Fischer