Light-O-Rama Forums

Bumping A Thread

james campbell

I noticed that under the new rules bumping a thread results in a two point warning,so how do we save the good threads like show your face?

• Like 1

In addition to what George has posted, none of the 'bumps' in the 'show your face' thread would warrant any sort of actions.

(And when I get to a computer that would probably be a good thread to get pinned.)

In addition to what George has posted, none of the 'bumps' in the 'show your face' thread would warrant any sort of actions.

(And when I get to a computer that would probably be a good thread to get pinned.)

thats a good idea,glad I thought of it :P

So then, what kind of bumps WOULD warrant a note from the teacher?

So then, what kind of bumps WOULD warrant a note from the teacher?

Edited by jimswinder
  • Like 1

Since the mention of a warning and points was brought up in this thread, I have to ask a couple questions that I hope aren't taboo, but I think we all should know what and how this point system works here.

Is there an info or policy thread somewhere that outlines the point count and the actions that occur after those points are accumulated?

And where is the thread that talks about bumping posts?

I read the policy info message, the Rules and Regulations, but I don't recall seeing anything about bumps or even the point system mentioned, but, maybe I missed it somehow, so I'll go re-read it again, just in case I either missed something or additional info was added that wasn't in there the first time I read through it. But I honestly don't recall seeing anything.

So I'd think if we're now on a point system, a lot of us would like to know just how does that work exactly? That is, is there something the forum watches and gives points for automatically, do the Admins have to give out the points, or is it a combination of both?

And of course we'd like to know how many points would you accumulate for posting an off topic message in a thread, or how many points before you got an x amount of days suspension from the forum, and especially, how many points would it take to get permanently banned?

And do those points ever go away, like after a specific amount of time, 3 months?, 6 months?, 1 year? Or are these points like a permanent record and they never go away as long as you're on the forums?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

I read the policy info message, the Rules and Regulations, but I don't recall seeing anything about bumps or even the point system mentioned, but, maybe I missed it somehow, so I'll go re-read it again, just in case I either missed something or additional info was added that wasn't in there the first time I read through it. But I honestly don't recall seeing anything.

Scroll down to the bottom of any page on this forum. There's a link toward the right hand side called "Forum Guidelines". The info is in there.

I wondered what "bumping a thread" meant too. I see it done occasionally when someone asks a question, waits a few days, and doesn't get an answer (e.g. "bumping this thread to see if anyone can help me...") but that seems pretty benign. So I"m wondering what issue the admins had in mind to try to prevent.

• Like 1

I don’t think I’d be too worried about occasionally bumping a thread. If you’re not a trouble maker, you can actually bump two threads a week. The third one will have your posts moderated. If you’re clean, I doubt that it would be a problem.

It also looks as though you could bump one thread every day, without losing your posting privileges.

That said, I believe the intent is that you’re not constantly just bumping a thread without you or no one else posting anything of value. It would get annoying to see the same thread popping to the top with nothing new in it.

Thanks Tim. I just didn't know where to look and was trying to get at least some idea of how it works.

EDIT:I did read most of that in the rules and reg. thread I looked at when the new forum was brought back up, but looks like that was added after my initial reading, as it looks like the same info I had read previously, just didn't see the points stuff in there. Then again, maybe I just missed it somehow. But now at least I know what's what. Thanks again.

Edited by Slipstream

Since the mention of a warning and points was brought up in this thread, I have to ask a couple questions that I hope aren't taboo, but I think we all should know what and how this point system works here.

Is there an info or policy thread somewhere that outlines the point count and the actions that occur after those points are accumulated?

And where is the thread that talks about bumping posts?

So I'd think if we're now on a point system, a lot of us would like to know just how does that work exactly? That is, is there something the forum watches and gives points for automatically, do the Admins have to give out the points, or is it a combination of both?

And of course we'd like to know how many points would you accumulate for posting an off topic message in a thread, or how many points before you got an x amount of days suspension from the forum, and especially, how many points would it take to get permanently banned?

And do those points ever go away, like after a specific amount of time, 3 months?, 6 months?, 1 year? Or are these points like a permanent record and they never go away as long as you're on the forums?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Orv - is that you????

• Like 2

I wondered what "bumping a thread" meant too. I see it done occasionally when someone asks a question, waits a few days, and doesn't get an answer (e.g. "bumping this thread to see if anyone can help me...") but that seems pretty benign. So I"m wondering what issue the admins had in mind to try to prevent.

I'm not sure, since I'm not an admin, but I think it might be in response to something like what we saw a few months ago when a member from Albany, NY was desperately trying to sell his stuff and no one seemed very interested. In that instance, he apparently kept bumping the thread to keep it on the front page of recent posts to try to lure a buyer in.

• Like 3

Orv - is that you????

Is it true has the long lost Orv returned in alter ego?

But back to the op I think that a useful post will find its way back up front. At the same time some will try to fade away and the person continues to insidiously continues to push it out front to push their agenda, in which I applaud LOR for putting a stop to that.

• Like 1

I'm not sure, since I'm not an admin, but I think it might be in response to something like what we saw a few months ago when a member from Albany, NY was desperately trying to sell his stuff and no one seemed very interested. In that instance, he apparently kept bumping the thread to keep it on the front page of recent posts to try to lure a buyer in.

That was the thread that I was thinking of too.

• Like 2

It does look like I may be guilty in bumping an event thread...

Even though I do attempt to put a little content in each post, the fact I stretch it out and time it to keep the thread on the first page of an area falls under the guidelines (I think).

What is particularly awkward is attempting to give sponsors a decent benefit from their investment... Especially if the owner of the forum is a sponsor themselves.

Thoughts on this?

• Like 1

It does look like I may be guilty in bumping an event thread...

Even though I do attempt to put a little content in each post, the fact I stretch it out and time it to keep the thread on the first page of an area falls under the guidelines (I think).

What is particularly awkward is attempting to give sponsors a decent benefit from their investment... Especially if the owner of the forum is a sponsor themselves.

Thoughts on this?

2 points for each bump. Looks like you might be up to 30 points already. :P

Can you redeem all those points for a prize?

post-3757-0-98915100-1341151784_thumb.jp

• Like 1

And to ask "exactly" how the thread bumping points system works is going to be very hard to answer (imo)

With the forums and conversations being such a wide variety of contentI would think it will have to be a case by case

situation.

In most cases, it seems pretty obvious that the OP is bumping the thread.

Scott

I think that if the post contains content other than "bump" it dosen't brek the rules (generally), clearly this rule needs to be defined more clearly for better understanding.

• 1 month later...

In general, most boards enforce this as follows:

• Adding something to a thread (for example, asking if we ever got an answer to a question): Not a bump.
  • Posting to a thread just to get it to the top: Bump.

IE, don't be posting 'Bump!' or 'Trying to get this back to the top' as the body of your message. Add something constructive.

... and remember that points are not the end of you. They expire quite quickly and it takes a lot more than 2 for something to happen. ;)

• The topic was locked