Light-O-Rama Forums

Edit Permissions?

TJ Hvasta

Editing Time-Out  

1. 1. Should we raise the edit limit to 30 minutes?

• Yes, please.
    • No thanks.

Lets say that I posted something technical and then went off and lived a life off of the web for 24hrs. Came back and found that I said something dangerous and wanted to edit my post cause someone brought this to my attention. With a time limit, I would not be able to make such a correction that I would want to do so no one would come to harm. There are far to many ways to catch someone causing problems. But this is not one of the ways that should be used for that purpose.

• Like 1

So still nothing done about allowable Edit time ??

I'm waiting, just like you. Once I get instructions, it will either be changed, or someone will say why it wasn't.

Lets say that I posted something technical and then went off and lived a life off of the web for 24hrs. Came back and found that I said something dangerous and wanted to edit my post cause someone brought this to my attention. With a time limit, I would not be able to make such a correction that I would want to do so no one would come to harm. There are far to many ways to catch someone causing problems. But this is not one of the ways that should be used for that purpose.

If that happens I would think it far better to post a second time outlining the error,rather than just editing the original post. Otherwise it is entirely possible someone will have already seen/taken the incorrect advice, and since the edited post will not show up as a new post, The next time he/she looks at that thread (assuming that even happens, as a person may only review new posts since their last log-on) he/she won't necessarily see the revised information.

I also agree that we see too many cases where folks make posts, get a conversation started, then delete their original post if things head in a direction they don't care to see them head, and the context of the entire thread is wasted. I think most would agree the last thing we want to encourage folks to do is to copy the posts they are replying to every time they reply, as that will take up a lot of bandwidth and is unecessary. In fact several forums I belong to refuse to allow that practice.

30 minutes is more than long enough to allow changes based on typos, etc.

• Like 2

Even having any time limit means you have to make another post if you want to change something, not just something possibly life-threatening. Now, if you're a post builder, thats all well and good, but otherwise, threads can, and will, get bloated with extra messages that wouldnt be needed if the time limts were removed.

As to one of the reasons to move the whole forum-thing here.. if someone were to start being nasty, others will quote / copy or otherwise have some kind of record of it, preventing ner'-do-well's from "covering their tracks"..

I agree with Mr. Young. I don't think I've ever seen a forum with unlimited editing time. As a newbie, I would hope everything I read will be solid information, but as I spend time on the forum, I can tell who seems to be the more reliable/experienced/knowledgable individuals, and those would be the opinions I seek out. I would hope someone would not just take the first bit of advice they get on a complex topic, and not do research on their own. (Maybe I'm just being too optimistic about the common sense most people should have :mellow: ).

I would also vote for something around a 30 minute timeframe.

I agree with Mr. Young. I don't think I've ever seen a forum with unlimited editing time. As a newbie, I would hope everything I read will be solid information, but as I spend time on the forum, I can tell who seems to be the more reliable/experienced/knowledgable individuals, and those would be the opinions I seek out. I would hope someone would not just take the first bit of advice they get on a complex topic, and not do research on their own. (Maybe I'm just being too optimistic about the common sense most people should have :mellow: ).

I would also vote for something around a 30 minute timeframe.

Sometimes common sense goes out the window when people are in a hurry and it just does not work in this hobby. I agree with 30 minutes also.

It drives me nuts to have to live with spelling/grammar errors in my posts that I discover when rereading them (often when quoted) later on. I don't understand why we can't be adults here, have an unlimited edit time, and not abuse it.

• Like 3

It drives me nuts to have to live with spelling/grammar errors in my posts that I discover when rereading them (often when quoted) later on. I don't understand why we can't be adults here, have an unlimited edit time, and not abuse it.

I would bet that changing the original would not have any affect on the quotes that are out there of said original... So it would still drive you nuts even if you can edit your own post, but the quotes are still out there incorrect. :)

What is the big deal? Leave it as it is, change it to 30 minutes.. There is no real need, in my opinion, to edit a post a day or so later. If it is something that is "dangerous" then by all means, contact a moderator and it can be removed.

I just don't see the hype and the need for 32 posts on the subject.

You can always double check it if not triple check it before you hit the enter button and I bet something is wrong.

Thomass

Guest wbottomley
I don't understand why we can't be adults here, have an unlimited edit time, and not abuse it.

Because the same childish mentality being dictated here is the same as on PC years ago by the same people, excluding Dan. At least he can hear.

An idea: how about different groups that have a trustworthy reputation? Different groups for different reputation.

I think with my brain rather than sitting on it like some people - not directed to you Tim.

• Like 3

I just don't see the hype and the need for 32 posts on the subject.

Ironic, since you added another ;)

You can always double check it if not triple check it before you hit the enter button and I bet something is wrong.

Your right - I can double and triple check, and something will still be wrong :unsure:

• Like 1

+1 for everything Ernie Horning said!.

My desire to have editing is based solely on my OCD to correct my Grammar. Anyone who knows me is aware that I'm not one to edit something I've siad to keep an Admin from seeing it...

Jeff

Now I know no one reads my posts. I planted that more than a week ago! :rolleyes:

Jeff

How did I fall for this trap!

If memory serves... the reason the edit was removed was to make someone take a second and re-think what they were going to post. Knowing they can't remove it might make them consider posting it.

I don't feel that worked to stop (or slow) some of the rudeness.

For me, having 5 minutes gives me enough time to catch a spelling error and correct it. But if it is an error, I may not be back on the forum for several hours so an extra few minutes doesn't do any good.

I say either keep it shorter 30 minutes or less, or remove it all together.

Just my 2 cents

Scott

• 1 year later...

Is it time to revisit this topic?

At some point since this was raised, the ability to edit posts was eliminated altogether, from the little 5 minute time limit it used to be.  Five minutes at least allowed me to add one additional thought or clarification.

Lately the mods have been combining my posts, but leaving in the "why can't we edit posts" comment which makes me look completely insane, since most people will read it all in one post and wonder what in Santa's Bag I'm talking about.

We're all adults here.  Can't we have the ability to edit posts like virtually every other forum I've ever visited?

Is it time to revisit this topic?

At some point since this was raised, the ability to edit posts was eliminated altogether, from the little 5 minute time limit it used to be.  Five minutes at least allowed me to add one additional thought or clarification.

Lately the mods have been combining my posts, but leaving in the "why can't we edit posts" comment which makes me look completely insane, since most people will read it all in one post and wonder what in Santa's Bag I'm talking about.

We're all adults here.  Can't we have the ability to edit posts like virtually every other forum I've ever visited?

See this thread for information on the current edit permissions.

The mods have not been combining posts. From day one of the new forum software concurrent posts within 2 minutes are automatically combined. The software does it in real time, it's not something the moderators have done later.

See this thread for information on the current edit permissions.

The mods have not been combining posts. From day one of the new forum software concurrent posts within 2 minutes are automatically combined. The software does it in real time, it's not something the moderators have done later.

Sigh.  OK, I don't understand it, but ok.

And thanks for letting me know about the combined posts thing.  At least I can add a one line comment or correction now.

• The topic was locked