Light-O-Rama Forums

degrouping

Philip

I'm working on a sequence and have elements done up in groups for simplicity (great feature) but when I duplicate the track and then try to degroup the channels in the new track, this option isn't even available in the new track. Has anyone else experienced this?

I also noticed that when you create the duplicate groups in a new track and try to move channels around in the new track, the original track reflects the same move changes

This was discussed last year and I think the answer is to right click on the Chanel group name and select degroup when in the duplicate track. After degrouping, you can rearrange the Chanel's with out changing the original track. You can also regroup after degrouping and not effect the origin track.

Steve

steve synek wrote:

This was discussed last year and I think the answer is to right click on the Chanel group name and select degroup when in the duplicate track. After degrouping, you can rearrange the Chanel's with out changing the original track. You can also regroup after degrouping and not effect the origin track.

Steve

Correct. The current logic is that just like duplicating tracks gives second pointers to the existing channels, it also provides second pointers to the same existing group objects. So just like updating the channel config shows up in all tracks, updating the group shows up in all tracks.

However, I don't think this is actually the best or most common intended use case. Nor is there any way to tell how many places a group is referenced. Am I about to modify a totally local to this one place group? Or a group that is used multiple times in this one track? Or a group that is used across multiple tracks?

At minimum, I would suggest sending an email to wishlist@lightorama.com asking for an option box on the duplicate track dialog box, asking if you should use the same existing groups, or create duplicates of the groups in the duplicate track. Personally, I think duplicating the groups in the duplicate track is what 90% of users expect, and should be the default.

I feel pretty silly about this now. it turns out that you can't "degroup" the channels while they are expanded which is what I was attempting