Light-O-Rama Forums

help with instance sequence Im so lost lost

james morris

I upgraded form 4 to 24 on ss package used the instance sequence to make some cool sequences would like export them to my light show use them get a good start on sequence regalure light not sure how its done I think I read some where may have been by Dennis Cheery how export it to the regalure light need help Im so lost please get me back on track this has so many uses so I just dont get it yet must be a little slow it will thanks so much james morris I plan on using the ccr but will take a couple years to buy them on a tite budget would love to say my expence for the upgrade is helping right now

Guest wbottomley

james morris wrote:

I upgraded form 4 to 24 on ss package used the instance sequence to make some cool sequences would like export them to my light show use them get a good start on sequence regalure light not sure how its done I think I read some where may have been by Dennis Cheery how export it to the regalure light need help Im so lost please get me back on track this has so many uses so I just dont get it yet must be a little slow it will  thanks so much  james morris I plan on using the ccr but will take a couple years to buy them on a tite budget would love to say my expence for the upgrade is helping right now

What? I can't follow what you're trying to say.

is there a way to export a super star sequence use it to do your regular lights in regulare lor

james morris wrote:

is there a way to export a super star sequence use it to do your regular lights in regulare lor

In the current release you can do Instant Sequence with your regular lights if you have a visualization of those lights. The steps are:

1) Click on the File menu and select "Import Visualization"
2) Click on the Tools menu and select "Instant Sequence"
3) Click on the "Open Audio File"
4) Click on "Sequence All"
5) Click on "Play All" to preview the sequence on the computer screen
6) Click on File menu and select "Export"
7) Launch LOR Sequence Editor, open the exported file, then play it to your lights, or play it to the visualizer

Do you have a visualization of your lights? If not, the next release has a "Create Quick Visualization" feature that allows you to create an Instant sequence even if you don't have a visualization of your lights. That feature is in the beta release right now and will be in the next release.

I have the newest verison of light o rama brian and thanks for such a fast responce I was at the class A few month ago when you worked with us in carroltion this why I started playing with ss hope it comes soon like to play with it just start playing with visular

Reading this thread, I decided to play with this area as well but got no where. I don't have the SS license so I'm assuming that's the issue. I do have the Advanced License. It was a shame to see that it'll only accept WAV files and not MP3's unless that's also something available in the SS level.

dgrant wrote:

Reading this thread, I decided to play with this area as well but got no where. I don't have the SS license so I'm assuming that's the issue. I do have the Advanced License. It was a shame to see that it'll only accept WAV files and not MP3's unless that's also something available in the SS level.

The older versions of the SuperStar software only supported WAV files, but the newer versions support MP3's as well. Download the latest version of S3 and the SuperStar program in that download will support MP3's. You will then also be sure to have the latest Instant Sequence features as well.

Without the SuperStar license the SuperStar software is functional in every way except that you cannot export files. So without the license you will be able to do an Instant Sequence on your visualization and play it to the computer screen, but you will not be able to export.

Also, if your version of SuperStar only supports WAV files you probably are running the original version that I sold before SuperStar became a part of S3. So when you do the S3 download, realize that to launch the SuperStar program in S3 you need to go to the Lightorama list of programs and launch SuperStar from there. Also, in S3 the location of the SuperStar directory will be located off of your Lightorama directory.

I'm using the latest and greatest 3.4.0. The SS audio file upload states clearly it'll only work with a 44000 bitrate WAV file.

SS shows 3.4.0.0 Dated May 2012, Demo Mode...of course since I'm not licensed for SS. Export limitation is understood

dgrant wrote:

I'm using the latest and greatest 3.4.0. The SS audio file upload states clearly it'll only work with a 44000 bitrate WAV file.

SS shows 3.4.0.0 Dated May 2012, Demo Mode...of course since I'm not licensed for SS. Export limitation is understood

I'm not sure if the demo mode would limit you to WAV only, (though I doubt it.)

I've got 3.3.0 on my machine, and it's accepting MP3 files in the SuperStar under "File -> Open Audio File."

Where are you seeing the text that clearly states it is WAV only?

dgrant wrote:

You are right, it is an incorrect error message, it should say "An audio file with the standard sampling rate of 44,100 is required." Just now I changed it so it will be correct in the next release.

So in your case, if you are opening an MP3 file and get that message, it means the sampling rate of the MP3 file is not 44,100. You will need to use audacity to change it to 44,100. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank You Sir. I converted an MP3 file to WAV and tried again anyway, but it still wouldn't do anything with the normal controllers although in this case, its probably license issues since I can't export and open in the sequencer. I'll play with it some more and see what I can do. I've got 96 normal AC controller channels available and it would be nice to get SS to do sequencing of the standard controller channels as opposed to just CCR's and etc.

dgrant wrote:

Thank You Sir. I converted an MP3 file to WAV and tried again anyway, but it still wouldn't do anything with the normal controllers although in this case, its probably license issues since I can't export and open in the sequencer. I'll play with it some more and see what I can do. I've got 96 normal AC controller channels available and it would be nice to get SS to do sequencing of the standard controller channels as opposed to just CCR's and etc.

Have you used the LOR Visualizer to create a visualization file of you lights? If so, you can import that file and the SuperStar software will show the visualization on the computer screen. You can then use Instant Sequence to create a sequence and play it to the computer screen from within the SuperStar software. All of that can be done with the free demo version. To export the sequence requires the SuperStar license.

After you have a visualization file, the steps are:
1) Click on the File menu and select "Import Visualization"
2) Click on the Tools menu and select "Instant Sequence"
3) Click on the "Open Audio File"
4) Click on "Sequence All"
5) Click on "Play All" to preview the sequence on the computer screen
6) Click on File menu and select "Export"
7) Launch LOR Sequence Editor, open the exported file, then play it to your lights, or play it to the visualizer

In the release that is in beta right now you don't even need a visualization file. You simply tell it the unit id's of your controllers and it will create a "quick visualization" for you and you can create an instant sequence.

The step I had left out was the "Sequence All" button. When I did that, it worked. I already have a visualizer file and I've already fully sequenced 24 tunes for this first year but wanted to see what the software might come up with on its own. The SS concept is a good one and I'll play with it some more but comparing what it does with what I did manually in the sequencer, mine looks much better but I still like the idea.

dgrant wrote:

The step I had left out was the "Sequence All" button. When I did that, it worked. I already have a visualizer file and I've already fully sequenced 24 tunes for this first year but wanted to see what the software might come up with on its own. The SS concept is a good one and I'll play with it some more but comparing what it does with what I did manually in the sequencer, mine looks much better but I still like the idea.

I compare Instant Sequence to a "microwave" dinner. A microwave meal can taste real good, but it's never gonna compete with Mom's home cooking.

Myself, I would use Instant Sequence for a song I really like but don't have time to sequence myself for that year. You may also want to use it for just a portion of a song. About 2/3 the way through my "Rock Ye Merry Gentlemen" sequence I use Instant Sequence for about 45 seconds of the sequence and I think it works real well. And my sequence for "The House on Christmas Street" was made entirely with Instant Sequence, I did touch up a few spots, but it is entirely from effects made by Instant Sequence.

Agreed. I had the idea myself of writing code to sample audio directly within ram memory as it processed on its way to the audio subsystems, then assign the frequencies to 88 keys of a piano keyboard, then in-turn, turn on the various light strings. It appears you've done something very similar here which is why I like the idea. I'm going to try this functioning of the software out a lot more as I see you created many possible ways of controlling this and assigning channels/groups. I'm assuming you are the programmer and I applaud people who think out of the box as such creating new ways of using information to create new functions.

Agreed. I had the idea myself of writing code to sample audio directly within ram memory as it processed on its way to the audio subsystems, then assign the frequencies to 88 keys of a piano keyboard, then in-turn, turn on the various light strings. It appears you've done something very similar here which is why I like the idea. I'm going to try this functioning of the software out a lot more as I see you created many possible ways of controlling this and assigning channels/groups. I'm assuming you are the programmer and I applaud people who think out of the box as such creating new ways of using information to create new functions.

Sorry I touched the button twice and double posted. You can certainly remove the 2nd post.

Yes, I am the programmer. There are many variations you can do with Instant Sequence. I plan on making a video tutorial on it within the next month.

• 4 weeks later...

There are two more tutorials on youtube

SuperStar Sequencer - Tutorial 7 - Instant Sequence

http://youtu.be/LCrL0LmaCdg

SuperStar Sequencer - Tutorial 8 - Instant Sequence Timing Map

http://youtu.be/1dMn2rCb6yw

The next video tutorial I do will be on doing Instant Sequence of a song by selection. When doing Instant Sequence by selection, you can use a different theme for different parts of the song.

Very good Tutorials 7 & 8. Been experimenting for sometime now and now understand somemore about Instant Sequence options.

Your next tutorial on Instant Sequence using frequency selection, will be the best in understanding this feature, this is where I have made my best setups for my CCR Rings.

Edited by Dennis Cherry