Light-O-Rama Forums

Light-O-Rama Controllers for Sale on eBay

Guest guest

Daniel wrote:

Quick question, does a resale from an unauthorized re-seller (eBay auction, Thrift Store). Void the Light-O-Rama warranty of any kind? Lets say I bought a controller off of eBay. Will Light-O-Rama still support it?

When you purchase it from Ebay the 1 year repair/replacement warranty will not be transferred.

I know. He sold the Showtime 1602 (LOR1602W- it comes with cords and enclosures) that retails for $329 on the website (probably on sale next month or so for less)

I guess if you wanted to save a few dollars it would be ok but dang! Usually I don't buy used for less than a 20% discount.

I'm sure the person who bought it knew what they were doing. :)

RW

FBinthesouth wrote:

I guess if you wanted to save a few dollars it would be ok but dang! Usually I don't buy used for less than a 20% discount.

50% is my personal rule. You've got to remember that LOR will not honor any warranty on a unit purchased on eBay either.

Depends on the product. Something like an LOR unit doesn't really "wear out", and the most vulnerable part is the triac, and that's easilly replacable, so I'd go a lot higher percentage on that than I would for something with mechanical parts or other wearable parts, where I'd need a much deeper discount...

-Tim

Until recently, no one knew or ever questioned the warranty if sold through ebay.

And like Tim said, They do not lose their value-infact, they increase somewhat. It is called supply and demand. Some people want them now instead of waiting to get them...How much are you willing to pay to have it now? :)

I am in agreement that the price was too high for me compared to new. I suppose saving a few bucks is a few bucks...but personally, I think the extra $30 or so would have been worth it for the warranty.

We all know there will be no warranty on a unit bought off of ebay, BUT...another question I would want answered, If I were to buy a unit off ebay, would I still get the free upgrade to LORII ??

Roger Dearing wrote:

I am in agreement that the price was too high for me compared to new. I suppose saving a few bucks is a few bucks...but personally, I think the extra $30 or so would have been worth it for the warranty.

We all know there will be no warranty on a unit bought off of ebay, BUT...another question I would want answered, If I were to buy a unit off ebay, would I still get the free upgrade to LORII ??

Roger -- for most units, the LOR II upgrade is a firmware download, so that would certainly be available. For CTB-08's (and the MP's I think) it's a chip-swap, so Dan would have to answer that one (I'm not sure why they wouldn't be covered, since *someone* bought them from LOR originally...)

-Tim

I just read the warranty & it doesn't say anything about E-Bay:

Light-O-Rama (LOR) warrants unconditionally, to the first end-user, all hardware and parts thereof against defects in material and workmanship for a period of one year from the date of purchase. LOR will remedy any defect via repair or replacement during this period. The end-user must contact LOR or dealer for a return shipping label and ship the defective unit back. When received, the unit will be repaired or replaced at LOR’s discretion and returned.

So any purchaser other then original the warranty is NG

This next part is NICE!!

Unconditional Lifetime Replacement Policy

Regardless of current end user, any LOR hardware device that fails for any reason (e.g. eaten by dog, no longer like color) can be replaced with the same or current equivalent unit for 60% of the current list price of the new unit. The end-user is responsible for shipping the old unit back to LOR and for the shipping costs of the new unit. In the event that there is no current equivalent for an LOR device, LOR will make every attempt to work something equitable out. LOR will also honor this policy for any other manufacturer’s device for which we currently have a comparable device.