Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB strings

redsea300

OK i am now starting to program and build props for this year. I have seen several threads in the past about RGB string. I am looking for a dumb version of the ccr's.Only want them to change colors as a string not each individual pixel. I know some of you were buying from aliexpress. Which ones do you recommend.
Thanks in advance.
Don C.

Guest wbottomley

redsea300 wrote:

OK i am now starting to program and build props for this year. I have seen several threads in the past about RGB string. I am looking for a dumb version of the ccr's.Only want them to change colors as a string not each individual pixel. I know some of you were buying from aliexpress. Which ones do you recommend.
Thanks in advance.
Don C.

Anyone that doesn't have an IC in them: http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209843764-306391674/335-SMD-Side-View-LED-Strip-with-90degree-Viewing-Angle-and-12V-DC-input-60leds-m.html

• 4 weeks later...

I just received 4 5mm rolls of the dumb rgb lights, im trying to figure out the best way to wire them to the dc controller. I am thinking about phone wire and connectors.

As far as wire options some people use CAT5 (practically telephone cable, others Ray's 4 core wire and a favourite of the aussies is 4 core core security cable

Edited by spomalley

Phone wire might be too small for the current. A lot of us are using 4 core security wire, outdoor rated for UV. Im using 18/4 Security wire.

U used the Cat 5E cable and doubled up the lines, so from a 24 wire size to about a 12, and they work great. The security cable is very rigid.

I have used cat 5 cable with and without doubling (recommend doubling). I have used thermostat wire 18/4. I have used wiring from old light strings. But the best I have used is Ray's RGB cable; which is 18/4

A lot of people use these connectors from Ray Wu: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/50-pairs-4-Core-White-Waterproof-Line-15cm-long-each-male-and-female/701799_323485474.html

If you choose CAT5 a lot of people use the connections they come with although they reccomend spraying them with something like CorrosionX.

U used the Cat 5E cable and doubled up the lines, so from a 24 wire size to about a 12, and they work great. The security cable is very rigid.

You did NOT just say that doubling a 24-gauge wire results in a 12-gauge equivalent wire!?!

Should maybe look that up before the CAT5 becomes part of the lights, depending on how much current you're passing through it.

I just check my chart and look it up, that doubling a 24-gauge wire results like it becomes a 22 gauge at leases max :-)

I hope this was a Type-o

J & Chuck,

Thank you gentlemen for commenting. I was going to, but I didn't want to come off as a bully. Frankly I could not believe that comment about using two wires would half the gage size.

J & Chuck,

Thank you gentlemen for commenting. I was going to, but I didn't want to come off as a bully. Frankly I could not believe that comment about using two wires would half the gage size.

*Halve. ;)

halvedpast participle, past tense of halve (Verb)

Verb:

• Divide into two parts of equal or roughly equal size: "peel and halve the pears".
  • Reduce or be reduced by half.

Rules of thumb

• When the diameter of a wire is doubled, the AWG will decrease by 6. (e.g., No. 2 AWG is about twice the diameter of No. 8 AWG.)
  • When the cross-sectional area of a wire is doubled, the AWG will decrease by 3. (e.g., Two No. 14 AWG wires have about the same cross-sectional area as a single No. 11 AWG wire.)