Light-O-Rama Forums

DC power supply

stevedave1138

Trying to figure out what type of DC power supply to get.

Have purchased the DC Controller from Lightorama, and 2 Rainbow Floods, and one rainbow spot. I think that the floods draw about 2.16 amps at full intensity, and the spot under that. If I purchase a DC power supply that is 12v 12a, is that OK to use, as it would leave room for adding a few more RGBs in the future? Or is the Amps to high for my current lights?

stevedave1138 wrote:

Have purchased the DC Controller from Lightorama, and 2 Rainbow Floods, and one rainbow spot. I think that the floods draw about 2.16 amps at full intensity, and the spot under that. If I purchase a DC power supply that is 12v 12a, is that OK to use, as it would leave room for adding a few more RGBs in the future? Or is the Amps to high for my current lights?

Your current lamps will only use the power (amps) that they need.

KStatefan wrote:

stevedave1138 wrote:
If I purchase a DC power supply that is 12v 12a, is that OK to use, as it would leave room for adding a few more RGBs in the future? Or is the Amps to high for my current lights?

Your current lamps will only use the power (amps) that they need.

In other words, yes, that power supply would work just fine.

stevedave1138 wrote:

Just remember the 85% rule, when rating a power supply, always rate it so the max load is 80% to 85% of the total PSU rating. Otherwise you may find issues with the power supply not handling the load especially if these are cheap no name chinese power supplies as you need to take the power supply efficiency into account.

So last night I received my power supply and DC board to run my dumb strips. I connected my pigtails to the DC board and now I’m ready to connect the board to the PS. I know I need to have an extension cord and cut off the female end, and then connect the 3 wires to the PS. My question is where on the PS does it connect? There are several terminals and nothing is clear about where it connects. And also, the 2 wires that come from the DC board to the PS…where do those connect?

Post a picture of the power supply terminals and the DC controller board and I will map out what connects where for you. That will probably be the easiest path and make sure everything gets connected right.

We need to see pics or a link to the supply so we can see where to connect. Basically the 12V+ will connect to both 12V+ terminals on the LOR DC brd and then a 12V ground to the DC brd.

Sorry i just always assume people know exactly what i'm talking about, as if there is only power strip and DC board on the market. So here are the pictures. On the DC board, i know exactly where i connect (spade connectors next to the fuses) but i don't know where the + and - route on the power supply. Also the connections made to the extension cord. Thanks!

Attached files 319281=17405-006.JPG

For the power in...the “L” is the HOT. The “N” is Neutral and “circle with the upside down T and lines” is the Ground.

The “+V” is your 12V DC positive. The “-V” is the Ground. Connect these to the DC Board .

On your DC board, the connection points are the + and - next to the two fuses [above and below the fuses at the left end of the picture you posted above]

Connect a set of leads from each pair back to the +v and -v on the power supply as kevin suggested.

You need to connect both sides of the LOR DC board (both sets of +/-) back to the PS, they are powered independently.

This may be obvious, but worth adding in case not: make sure you use a large enough gauge of wire back to the PS to support the amperage you are going to draw from each side of the board. Even though the voltage is only 12v, the amperage can still get significant and melt the wires, insulation, or worse...if you use wire that isn't sized correctly. Let us know if you need help there.

CLD Kevin wrote:

For the power in...the “L” is the HOT. The “N” is Neutral and “circle with the upside down T and lines” is the Ground.

And for anyone reading this who doesn't already know, "L" is black, "N" is white, and Ground is green.

KStatefan wrote:

drivemewilder wrote:
Here is the Power Supply.

That is a big power supply.
That is true. But he will never go for want of more current. :)

Could someone provide a link for this power supply? I'm in need of another beefy supply. 29A output would be plenty, curious on price as compared to a similar computer power supply. I had an old 250W power supply running about 120' of RGB ribbon. It could power the ribbons, but communication was horrible. I had to disconnect my display supply to use for testing and my problems went away.

scubado wrote:

Could someone provide a link for this power supply? I'm in need of another beefy supply. 29A output would be plenty, curious on price as compared to a similar computer power supply. I had an old 250W power supply running about 120' of RGB ribbon. It could power the ribbons, but communication was horrible. I had to disconnect my display supply to use for testing and my problems went away.

Here is one similar, I've purchaced two of these and they have worked great...

I got everything connected exactly as everyone says to. The hardware utility even "found" the controller. The DC board is my 10th controller, so on the dip switch i have it set to 1 0. I opened my sequence, made sure through the channel config that my dumb strips are on the 10th controller, clicked "control lights" hit "play" but nothing happens. I tried many combinations including changing up the controller number on the dip switch and change it accordingly in the channel config. Still nothing. I daisy chained a CCR off the DC board just for grins, and the CCR played just fine. What am i missing? For now i just have the 4 wires coming from the board to the strips taped together (i'm out of wire nuts). So i guess it's possible it's just not a good enough connection. I verified the strip was good by using a 9v battery.

Try using the -console- within the Hardware Utility and see if it will work there.