Light-O-Rama Forums

CCP Santa House

thebaronn

Last year I went crazy and purchased a few thousand C9 and C7 LED bulbs from the Creative displays preorder sale and of course a year has gone by and they are still sitting in the original shipping boxes.......
A few years ago (if you watched any video I had) I built a Santa House that my wife loved (most people referred to it as a Gingerbread house, but oh well) and I decided to build it again last year using the C7 bulbs.... Then I thought about using RGB LEDs! I was a big fan of the Galaxia system (that is now rotting in my garage) and I was looking into LED Curtains (which are astronomically priced!!!)
I changed my C7 plans to building it with Galaxia, but was given the bad news when I tried to purchase more pixels....
Then I was looking at Stellascapes and was put out by the fact I had to buy an expensive controller to control the lights (reminded me of another Galaxia setup, $700 controller to control $200 strand of lights and once you go over 16 strands, you need more controllers!!!) And then I happened to read some CCR posts (which I really never do cause I wasn't a big fan of the CCR) and read about the New LOR CCB and it seemed perfect! So I purchased them in the March sale and built 1/2 the Santa house (I need more CCPixels to finish it, and no point in building the whole thing if the first half looks lame!).

So here is my first look video at half of my CCPixel Santa House! I tossed it together quickly. The Lights are not attached, they just kinda rest in the holes. The 7 boxes are on 1 network for now and I have really long cat5 cables conecting them (which isn't a great idea, but I didn't feel like making 6 new cables at 2 in the morning).

Pros: Colors are awesome! I have some pictures that I imported and rendered on the house that my son guessed all of them! I think that when I figure out everything it will be the highlight of my display. And the kids love it!

Cons: dude.....they are a com hog! If you watch the video closely it looks like the picture fade from top to bottom and actually looks very nice! But it wasn't on purpose, it is the CCP network getting bogged down. Of course I could only find one adapter, so I have 700 RGB pixels on one network!! LOL!! I ordered several more adapters, so we will revisit this again. The network gets so backed up that after the sequence is over, it still runs, and runs, and runs.

So here is the video, let me know what you think and if you have any ideas, I would love to hear about them!

Looks like the video will finish uploading at 5am PST.
  • Like 1

Wanna know the best part about sliding all those pixels into the holes? It's when you realize that the 2nd strand that you put in only has 49 pixels.......
And you have to basically start all over!

Attached files 317783=17330-P1010797.JPG

Well that sucks. Although we tested each set of pixels we did not count them. If you have not done so already, please open a ticket in our help desk: http://www.lor2.com/support/ and include your order number (or name and address on the order) and this problem. We will get a replacement out to you asap.

We will now include counting the pixels as part of testing.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Dan
Light O Rama, Inc.

thats looking really good,how many ccps will you have all together?

LightORamaDan wrote:

Well that sucks. Although we tested each set of pixels we did not count them. If you have not done so already, please open a ticket in our help desk: http://www.lor2.com/support/ and include your order number (or name and address on the order) and this problem. We will get a replacement out to you asap.

We will now include counting the pixels as part of testing.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Dan
Light O Rama, Inc.

It's no biggie, I am very lucky like that. Good things is, it is LOR! I'm not worried in the least. Last year I purchased 3 50ct LEDs from someone and they arrived with 48, 51, and 51. Had to send a picture cause they didn't believe me! LOL!

A few words of advice.....
When setting the Controller ID on your CCPixels, be sure and avoid my mistake. I placed labels on each controller.....LID!!! Pure genius! So later, all the lids fell off when I was moving things around and I had no clue what was what.....
I have since corrected my error and put the labels on the actual box.

rooster423 wrote:

i can't find any llink for the ccp's on the LOR website were they a one time itm?

They will be in the store shortly.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

rooster423 wrote:
i can't find any llink for the ccp's on the LOR website were they a one time itm?

Dan
Will we get an announcement email? Cause I must have more! Guess I need to buy that USB hub now!!

thebaronn wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:
rooster423 wrote:

Dan
Will we get an announcement email? Cause I must have more! Guess I need to buy that USB hub now!!

We will at least post it here in the forums when they are in the store.

Please take note that we will certianly have superspeed LOR out this year. Using a regular LOR USB adapter (new version but looks and costs the same) you will be able to handle about 900 pixels on one LOR network.

Dan

Orville wrote:

Wow. That looks pretty cool. Ya definitely need to have the other side there. That would be awesome.

Thank you!

As soon as they get back in stock I will be there ready fire off on more!

With the limits moving to 900pixels/network, I will have my hands full of possibilities! Cannot wait!

LightORamaDan wrote:

thebaronn wrote:
LightORamaDan wrote:
rooster423 wrote:

Dan

Please take note that we will certianly have superspeed LOR out this year. Using a regular LOR USB adapter (new version but looks and costs the same) you will be able to handle about 900 pixels on one LOR network.

Dan

Are your saying I just ordered a bunch of outdated adapters a few days ago? Yikes! That is another CCPixel!

james campbell wrote:

Thank you!
I am pretty sure that when it is complete it will have about 14.5 CCPixels
1434 rGB pixels.

thebaronn wrote:

james campbell wrote:

Thank you!
1434 rGB pixels.

are you using superstar,or s3? that is alot of channels to work with and would give me a headache

thebaronn wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:
thebaronn wrote:
LightORamaDan wrote:
rooster423 wrote:

Dan

Dan

Are your saying I just ordered a bunch of outdated adapters a few days ago? Yikes! That is another CCPixel!

We will give you your money back on them.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

thebaronn wrote:
LightORamaDan wrote:
thebaronn wrote:
LightORamaDan wrote:
rooster423 wrote:

Dan

Dan

We will give you your money back on them.

Dan

Trust me, I will still use them for my other networks. Last Christmas I lost 3 USB adapters. I'm pretty sure I had to purchase one and overnight it cause it literally disappeared out of the computer and my fiefli network was down. Now I am sure they are somewhere in the garage, or the office, or the garbage.....

But I can't wait for more CCP!!

The saddest thing of all is I have a dozen 1602W and with all the CCP and firefli, they are slowly gathering dust (yes, when LOR has a sale, I have a bit of a problem controlling myself) I would say that It is good to have back up for the few I do use, but really, those things are bulletproof. I have one that has been outside for 3 years, has mud on it and still works perfectly.

james campbell wrote:

thebaronn wrote:
james campbell wrote:

Thank you!
1434 rGB pixels.

are you using superstar,or s3? that is alot of channels to work with and would give me a headache

I took a shot at LSP this year. I built a 48X52 pixel matrix and assigned each RGB in the shape of my old Santa House!

It's a......different program. Pros and Cons to S3. It's hard to get used to cause I loved S2 and could sequence up a storm. Right now the plan is, use LSP for the house, export it and then sequence the rest in S3.

Here is my best S2 work (never miss a shot at showing off my favorite sequence):

I just received my USB adapters from LOR this afternoon. I have 7 CCPixel controllers running on 1/2 the Santa House. I put them on different networks (2/2/3) and ran my sequence........
I was sad that It looked the same.....
Everything seems to turn on in some sort of wave, even solid colors. If the whole thing is green and I change it to red, it doesn't happen at once, you can see some pixels change before others.
What options do I have to try and remedy this? Is it my computer (3 year old HP laptop from costco)? Change the COMM speed? The best term I could use is that they seem sluggish........

Is there some sort of command limit? Like lets say a magic number of commands/pixel/network?

Am I expecting too much?

thebaronn wrote:

I just received my USB adapters from LOR this afternoon. I have 7 CCPixel controllers running on 1/2 the Santa House. I put them on different networks (2/2/3) and ran my sequence........
I was sad that It looked the same.....
Everything seems to turn on in some sort of wave, even solid colors. If the whole thing is green and I change it to red, it doesn't happen at once, you can see some pixels change before others.
What options do I have to try and remedy this? Is it my computer (3 year old HP laptop from costco)? Change the COMM speed? The best term I could use is that they seem sluggish........

Is there some sort of command limit? Like lets say a magic number of commands/pixel/network?

Am I expecting too much?

I guess a video would help.

This is a simple sequence, some solid colors on/off, fades and some shimmer and twinkle (athough you dont see them grrrrrr)

I bet you can figure out which pixels are on different networks if you watch it a few times, you can see 3 distinct waves of color........

Any ideas would be fantastic!
Thank you
Eric