Light-O-Rama Forums

Coro Marty Fan

Ron Boyd

I'm creating a Marty Fan from PVC and CORO. Does anyone know a formula or the equation to get the lines equal on the following drawing. It will be 16 channels.

I came up with 8" apart, but when I mark them, one side at the bottom keeps coming up low. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ron

Attached files 317659=17323-Fan.jpg

I've never built a marty fan, but, based on your drawing, you have 17 spaces in 128 inches. 128/17=7.53, so if you space 8 inches, but the time you get to the last "space" you'll have less than 7-1/2 inches to work with.

Back off about a 1/2 inch on each space and seems like you should be fine.

DonFL wrote:

I've never built a marty fan, but, based on your drawing, you have 17 spaces in 128 inches. 128/17=7.53, so if you space 8 inches, but the time you get to the last "space" you'll have less than 7-1/2 inches to work with.

Back off about a 1/2 inch on each space and seems like you should be fine.

Yep, That was my main problem. I tried spacing at 8" and I was coming up short on the last one. Thanks, I'll try your solution when I get home this evening.

dariansdad wrote:

I'm creating a Marty Fan from PVC and CORO. Does anyone know a formula or the equation to get the lines equal on the following drawing.  It will be 16 channels.

I came up with 8" apart, but when I mark them, one side at the bottom keeps coming up low. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ron

Actually, there are 15 spaces between 16 strands of lights. So 128 inches / 15 spaces = 8.53 inches per space

That 8.53 inches is the arc distance along the PVC.

Rounding down to 8.5" will leave you 1/4" short on each side.... close enough for government work.
:D
;)

When measuring your spaces, start at top center and measure outwards. That will keep your spacing even side to side.

LORi P wrote:

dariansdad wrote:
I'm creating a Marty Fan from PVC and CORO. Does anyone know a formula or the equation to get the lines equal on the following drawing. It will be 16 channels.

Thanks,

Ron

Actually, there are 15 spaces between 16 strands of lights. So 128 inches / 15 spaces = 8.53 inches per space

That 8.53 inches is the arc distance along the PVC.

Rounding down to 8.5" will leave you 1/4" short on each side.... close enough for government work.
:D
;)
Based on the drawing assuming each line (other than the base of the fan) is a segment/channel, you have 17 spaces. Don't forget the two spaces below strands 1 and 16--15+2=17. Assuming the picture is accurate, you need to account for 17 spaces. ;)

it could be 15 spaces or 17 spaces...all depends if two of the strings are parallel to the ground and are his starting and ending strings...

True. I'm assuming the picture is an accurate depiction of what he is trying to do, especially since there are 16 fan "strings" shown. What arnold is showing is correct.

Guys, it seems like Jim is the only one who 'gets' me. *sigh* I was assuming that he wants 16 channels spread across the whole half circle of the fan. One string in the 9 o'clock position. And one string in the 3 o'clock position. And the remaining 14 strings spread evenly from 9 to 3. 15 'spaces' each space being 8.5".

Again, I was assuming that he wanted to get rid of the small gaps he had between 'horizontal' and his first and last strings. I figured that if he was taking the time to make a coro fan, that he would want a perfect half circle. If there are 17 spaces with his 16 channels, there won't be any lights at the 9 and 3 positions. Maybe that is what he wants, but I did not think so.

Guys, it seems like Jim is the only one who 'gets' me. *sigh* I was assuming that he wants 16 channels spread across the whole half circle of the fan. One string in the 9 o'clock position. And one string in the 3 o'clock position. And the remaining 14 strings spread evenly from 9 to 3. 15 'spaces' each space being 8.5".

Again, I was assuming that he wanted to get rid of the small gaps he had between 'horizontal' and his first and last strings. I figured that if he was taking the time to make a coro fan, that he would want a perfect half circle. If there are 17 spaces with his 16 channels, there won't be any lights at the 9 and 3 positions. Maybe that is what he wants, but I did not think so.

Understood; i totally get where you got your numbers and recommended separation. But again, I'm just going with what he showed us in the diagram...:P

If you put strings at 9 and 3, then yes, would be 15 spaces, and I'd agree with the 8.5 inches.

(and its been a long week, so no "jim swinder" cheap shots come to mind at the moment...:X:D:D)

Jeff Millard wrote:

She's the best straight man in comedy and you can't come up with a shot? Yer slippin', my brother!

Jeff

Who you callin' a straight man?! :shock: :P

LORi P wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:
She's the best straight man in comedy and you can't come up with a shot? Yer slippin', my brother!

Jeff

Who you callin' a straight man?! :shock: :P

something you aren't telling us (me) Lori?!?!?!?! :shock:

Jeff Millard wrote:

DonFL wrote:
(and its been a long week, so no "jim swinder" cheap shots come to mind at the moment...:X:D:D)

LORi P wrote:
Guys, it seems like Jim is the only one who 'gets' me.

Jeff

You're doing just fine on your own...:P

jimswinder wrote:

something you aren't telling us (me) Lori?!?!?!?!  :shock:

Jeff is just jealous that you are the only one. Either that, or he needs new galsses. :P

LORi P wrote:

Sorry folks, I should have clarified the drawing or drawn it a little more accurate with the red "lines" exactly the way i wanted it to look. My bad. In my defense I was getting ready to leave work on a 3 day weekend and I wasn't thinking straight.
Lori P is right. I do want strings at 9 and 3 o'clock positions. I actually came up with 8.53" after I got home too. This, mind you, is before I saw these posts.
Anyway, thanks for all the comments. It was very helpful. I now know what to do as far as calculating something like this now. Back to work in the morning on this as well as trying out the new CC pixels and a controller that is my first attempt at soldering a kit board.
Ron

dariansdad wrote:

Lori P is right.

Lori:1
Guys:0

Didn't your mama's ever teach you that the woman is always right??? :P:):P

LORi P wrote:

dariansdad wrote:
Lori P is right.

Lori:1
Guys:0

Didn't your mama's ever teach you that the woman is always right??? :P:):P

Yes. And my wife reminds me at least once a day. :)

dariansdad wrote:

LORi P wrote:

Sorry folks, I should have clarified the drawing or drawn it a little more accurate with the red "lines" exactly the way i wanted it to look. My bad. In my defense I was getting ready to leave work on a 3 day weekend and I wasn't thinking straight.
Lori P is right. I do want strings at 9 and 3 o'clock positions. I actually came up with 8.53" after I got home too. This, mind you, is before I saw these posts.
Anyway, thanks for all the comments. It was very helpful. I now know what to do as far as calculating something like this now. Back to work in the morning on this as well as trying out the new CC pixels and a controller that is my first attempt at soldering a kit board.
Ron
So you're putting 18 strings on the fan? You're original drawing would suggest that.

Sounds like its strings at 9 and 3, and then 14 more in between.

If that is the case, then yes, Lori P is absolutely correct.