Light-O-Rama Forums

Speakers

Wayne K

What is everyone using for outside speakers in your display? I have been looking at the rock speakers at Menards. Has anyone used these and if so did they sound ok?
And I have been looking at the rock speakers at Parts Express also http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?FTR=rock+speakers&search_type=main&WebPage_ID=3&searchFilter=rock+speakers&x=13&y=13
Anyone used any of these?
Thanks
Wayne

I use a pair of Bose 251 outdoor speakers that I've had for about a dozen years. They still sound as great today as when I unboxed them from the store.

I have a set of rock speakers that I use permanently on outside on the patio hooked up to the stereo. They do sound pretty good, lacking a bit on the bass but the are full range speakers. I don't use speakers for the season, but for the lighting ceremony I bought a pair of powered 200W Behringer speakers. They are not meant for the outdoors, I only set them up for the night. But they to rock the street pretty good.

Just a thought, has anyone found or have experience with DIY outdoor speakers? I have this place nearby that sells individual speakers of all types and sizes and was toying with the idea of custom building my own outdoor speakers.

I googled until my fingers were numb and really didn't come up with any good ideas for this. Anybody have any thoughts or ideas?

Jeff

jbitzer wrote:

I googled until my fingers were numb... Anybody have any thoughts or ideas?

Googling doesn't ordinarily cause numbness. (Well, maybe brain numbness, but not fingers.) Sounds to me like maybe you should have your doctor check for PAD. At the very least, some finger-strengthening exercises would be a good idea...

George Simmons wrote:

jbitzer wrote:
I googled until my fingers were numb... Anybody have any thoughts or ideas?

Googling doesn't ordinarily cause numbness.  (Well, maybe brain numbness, but not fingers.)  Sounds to me like maybe you should have your doctor check for PAD.  At the very least, some finger-strengthening exercises would be a good idea...

George, your a sick S.O.B. :D :D :D

Tom Straub

A lot depends on what sound level you can get away with. I got a great deal at a pawn shop on a pair of semi large stereo speakers and a decent amp. Rumage sales are a great place to look for cheap speakers. If you plan to do thunder for Halloween, don't go too cheap or small, thunder is rough on amps and speakers. If your speakers are directly mounted to the house, the sound will resonate inside the house. I have this problem, I plan to make new cabinets for the speakers that will be thicker and reinforced.

jbitzer wrote:

Just a thought, has anyone found or have experience with DIY outdoor speakers? I have this place nearby that sells individual speakers of all types and sizes and was toying with the idea of custom building my own outdoor speakers.

I googled until my fingers were numb and really didn't come up with any good ideas for this. Anybody have any thoughts or ideas?

Jeff

depends on how handy you are. i take large pieces of 2" thick insulation sheets from home depot, i make shapes out of cutting them up and eather mount speakers or my flood lights in them. i design my make shift boxes then use gorilla glue to bond them together, then i take insulation foam that you spray in a hole or crack then it expands and hardens. i use it on the out side of the foam to make it sort of bumpy looking, dont use to much as it does expand, this also seals to make it water proof. next i spray paint them with some gray and/or black paint and make them look like rocks, big ones of course, up north paint white for snow might be best. hope any of that helps or gives you some ideas, i thought of making a snowman out of the foam and mounting eather speakers inside him or floods shinning out of his backside on plywood characters.

scubado wrote:

If your speakers are directly mounted to the house, the sound will resonate inside the house.

I'm not convinced this is entirely a bad thing. (unless it makes people inside the house go beserk) Considering that thunder is basically a low-frequency sound, and that your connected speakers will primarily reverberate only low frequencies, it might be advantageous to the realism you're trying to create outdoors to have your house acting as a super-size subwoofer. Maybe the best option is to crank it up and open the front window(s) a couple inches while the spookfest is running.

Our city has a 50dB limit measured at the property line between 10PM and 7AM. But the deputies don't carry sound level meters, so it's questionable whether a citation would stand up in court. YMMV

Thanks for all of the reply's.
I had bought a set of 150.00$ weather proof speakers about 4-5 years ago and had used them with good results, but they look really bad now from being out in the winter weather and are rusting all up. So that was my thought behind the rock speakers was to try and get something that would take the weather better and sound ok.
Wayne

Wayne K wrote:

Thanks for all of the reply's.
I had bought a set of 150.00$ weather proof speakers about 4-5 years ago and had used them with good results, but they look really bad now from being out in the winter weather and are rusting all up. So that was my thought behind the rock speakers was to try and get something that would take the weather better and sound ok.
Wayne

My speaker mount under the eave of my house. Protected from direct rain, but in bad weather I can cover them in plastic. The sound will pass through the plastic very well.

With garage sales speakers, if they are damaged by weather or stolen, no big loss.

George Simmons wrote:

scubado wrote:
If your speakers are directly mounted to the house, the sound will resonate inside the house. 

I'm not convinced this is entirely a bad thing.  (unless it makes people inside the house go beserk)  Considering that thunder is basically a low-frequency sound, and that your connected speakers will primarily reverberate only low frequencies, it might be advantageous to the realism you're trying to create outdoors to have your house acting as a super-size subwoofer.  Maybe the best option is to crank it up and open the front window(s) a couple inches while the spookfest is running.

Our city has a 50dB limit measured at the property line between 10PM and 7AM.  But the deputies don't carry sound level meters, so it's questionable whether a citation would stand up in court.  YMMV

It is annoying when trying to watch a movie that's not related to Christmas. When the speakers are at full volume, it does bug the rest of the family. Last year I glued some insulation to the back of the speakers and padded it against the house and it did help. I picked up a second amp today at a rummage sale as a backup or run additional speakers for $15.

• 2 weeks later...

I just use a cheap pair of Insignia Outdoor Speakers, paid $19.95¢ with free shipping in 2010 for them, price has probably gone up. Also bought them as "Buy It Now!" option from an e-bay store. I also use an old FM radio system I have tuned to 99.7FM that feeds the speakers.

I either mount them to a stake, inside a black wooden crate that houses a character or creature, speaker mounted in each crate behind the prop so it's hidden, or I mounted them directly under the eave of a house. Our new home doesn't have overhanging eves, so new challenge for 2012 if I mount them on the house.

These have the red and black compression spring type clips to insert the wire into each speaker on the back and came with mounting brackets and mounting screws.

Tried to see if I could find them, but keep finding the ones I bought in 2010 are no longer available.

But here's a photo of the ones I use and they've held up great in the wet weather, and sound great too.

Attached files 317377=17307-Insignia Indoor-Outdoor Spe