Light-O-Rama Forums

Cosmic Color Pixels are Here!

heystew

Below are several quick photos I snapped. Won't get to plug them in until later, but here's a quick view.
CCP1a.jpg

CCP2a.jpg

CCP3a.jpg

CCP4a.jpg

For those that asked. The leads are 24" with an extra 4" "jumper" at the end. Seems like a good idea to protect the connector at the end of the string.. if you ruin the connector, you only ruined the little jumper, not the string.

several more pics.. one thing i thought was interesting is the double wall box, and the way it was used to seal the through-wall cables. No grommet required. (see last two pictures)

CCP5a.jpg

CCP6a.jpg

CCP7a.jpg

CCP8a.jpg

I've uploaded a quick video to:
https://vimeo.com/41887360
The video only shows 20 pixels running. They are running through a clear tube on an arch.

Also here is a photo comparison of a StellaScapes StellaGreen pixel (which has been my pixel solution for the last 2 years) and the CCP.

CCP9a.jpg

• Like 1

Heystew,

Congrats on finally getting them.
Can you describe how well they are sealed at the bottom?? It may just be the angle of the photo, but looks like the StellaScapes are filled to the end of the cover and the cosmics aren't

Dave,
It seems that the cosmics are generally not filled to the end. At least not on both sides of the wire. Sometimes they are on one side. They do appear to have a complete seal however. Time will tell how this plays out.
The Stella's are consistently filled to the end. One other observation is that while the package of the cosmics is slightly longer, the amount of wire concealed in the package is shorter.. i.e. the circuit board is closer to the base of the cosmic.

I will continue to use the StellaScapes in my display but will be adding more Cosmics as well.

I just received my CCP order yesterday,
I looked into the stellascapes and almost made my purchase, then I found out about the LOR-CCP and I decided to wait and make my purchase with LOR.
If I get modivated enough with the 2 CCP's I have I will buy more CCP's when the summer sale happens

It's going to be fun to work with the CCP's, I can do more with these than I can with the CCR's

Heystew,

Thanks for posting the video of your "clear tube Arch. Would you mind sharing how you made it? Materials etc.

I have 2 of the CCP's now and was thinking of building a "Large" wreath with concentric rings or a spiral and clear tubing may work.

Thanks!

The arch is made from Rollerflex 9000 tubing (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=74558&catid=571) with the lights pulled through the middle of it. Note that to get the CCP's through the tube I laid them over on themselves, tie wrapping the bulb to the ribbon cable. So the lights are now aligned along the center of the tube, rather than facing up.

This tubing is tie-wrapped onto some 3/4" plastic conduit. For stakes, I stuck some 12 inch pieces of 1/2" copper pipe into the ground and the conduit goes over it.

I'll try to remember and take another picture and post.
Nothing fancy

• Like 1

additional picture of tubing and how i fed the pixels through the tube. One other detail, when tie wrapping the lights down I also tie wrapped a nylon strap with it to increase strength and make it easier to pull.

pixeltubing.jpg

pixelwrap.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Below is a quick drawing of two methods I have seen for attaching pixels to the black strapping. I found the strap on Amazon for $20 for 1000' (the worst part is trying to wrestle a 1000' spool with no sides) It is called Hand Grade Polypropylene Strapping (the stuff they put on boxes)

Attached files 318430=17358-pixelmounting.jpg

Cool Video and nice layout heystew. Making me rethink on those CCP's.

Although from the photo's I'd be more inclined to go with StellaScapes due to the way they are sealed, just seems to be better sealed than the LOR CCP's.

Also like the way the StellaScapes wiring is more like a flat ribbob cable, as opposed to LOR's rounded bundle <-- EDIT: Never mind that statement in bold, it was the angle of the photo that had me thinking they were "rounded!", had to go take a second look again.

Just seems to me being "flat" like that would make it easier to pull through tubing or other material to get them where you want them.

Thanks for posting the photo's and links, very nice work on the side by side comparisons and mounting techniques.

I have a probably dumb question... i have been out of the loop for quite some time, but I want to get back into animation and CCP are just what I need.. but I cannot find where to by them on LOR site.. are they not officially for sale yet??

if they are, can someone send me a link to them so I can get a string or two to play with?
-Christopher

they are not yet officially on sale. the few that were sold were available during the march sale. I believe they said they should be up in the store soon.

dave

• 4 weeks later...

I've been waiting for them to appear on the LOR site, for sale too but still not there. Maybe they are acquiring a bunch for their summer sale? I just need to know what they cost normally or will cost normally. Not sure I'm going to even buy any this year regardless as this is my first year out so who knows.

• 1 month later...

smart thinking on that strap to attach the lights to ; it also protects the lights from being pulled on directly

• The topic was locked