Light-O-Rama Forums

When you can't get a good picture of your house

caniac

my issue with using visualizer is that I can't seem to get a good picture of my house with the entire yard. Thought of standing on my neighbor's roof but she has a huge tree in the way. Suggestions?

if you don't have the software to "stitch" multiple shots together, send me the pics and I will do it for you...

jimswinder wrote:

if you don't have the software to "stitch" multiple shots together, send me the pics and I will do it for you...

thanks

What I've found is that stages are much wider than they are tall. For some reason, everyone want's to take a shot of their house with 1/2 of it filled with sky.

Instead, take a picture where the TOP of the frame is the TOP of your display. Got stuff on your roof? Then put the roof at the top of the picture. Only go as high as the gutters? Put the gutters at the top.

Now what you'll find is you have a WHOLE lot of ground in your picture. This time, load the picture into your favorite picture editing program, and crop OUT the ground you don't use. What you end up with is a skinny but wide shot.

Many times however this VERY WIDE shot is no good either.
too%20wide.jpg

It's simply not tall enough to give you good resolution. Instead, try to take 3 separate shots: Stage Right, Center, Stage Left. Concentrate on dividing your stage into 3rds, and keeping the same 'eye line' (top of the frame0. Crop out the ground on each.
stage%2520right.jpg
center%2520stage.jpg
stage%2520left.jpg

NOW instead of stitching all 3 of those together into something WAAAAAAY to wide, put them 1 atop the other:

Stage Right
Center
Stage Left

That will make things more SQUARE, and you'll be scrolling a whole lot LESS.

DevMike wrote:

What I've found is that stages are much wider than they are tall. For some reason, everyone want's to take a shot of their house with 1/2 of it filled with sky.

Instead, take a picture where the TOP of the frame is the TOP of your display. Got stuff on your roof? Then put the roof at the top of the picture. Only go as high as the gutters? Put the gutters at the top.

Now what you'll find is you have a WHOLE lot of ground in your picture. This time, load the picture into your favorite picture editing program, and crop OUT the ground you don't use. What you end up with is a skinny but wide shot.

Many times however this VERY WIDE shot is no good either.
too%20wide.jpg

It's simply not tall enough to give you good resolution. Instead, try to take 3 separate shots: Stage Right, Center, Stage Left. Concentrate on dividing your stage into 3rds, and keeping the same 'eye line' (top of the frame0. Crop out the ground on each.
stage%2520right.jpg
center%2520stage.jpg
stage%2520left.jpg

NOW instead of stitching all 3 of those together into something WAAAAAAY to wide, put them 1 atop the other:

Stage Right
Center
Stage Left

You do realize that if the Secret Service weren't so busy with hookers they just might be asking you about these pics! lol

caniac wrote:

You do realize that if the Secret Service weren't so busy with hookers they just might be asking you about these pics! lol
You do realize that Mike set up the whole thing in Columbia...

just hope Mary doesn't find out!!!

DevMike wrote:

Stage Right
Center
Stage Left

or...

get a second monitor so you can stretch the visualizer across both of them!!! :P

I need a little advice on this one to, when playing around with a lot of different photos of the house right now. Nothing I seem to be taking is perfect, I've got one set of photos that is close and I can work with but it's just not perfect. The problem is my house is on a downslope, so when I merge photos together I'm still learning that I have to take into consideration the actual slope of my land to better matchup the photos together when merging them. It's not an easy process at all, and is getting a little frustrating, and the other side of it is I can't take a straightforward shot I finding I have to do a panoramic view, if I do a straight forward shot I lose many elements and bushes in my yard. I'm so excited to learn how to use the new visualizer finally, but I have to get over this hurdle and do a really good shot of the yard before I proceed so if anybody has any ideas, critiques has gone through similar situations and has advice I'd really appreciate it.

Ralph D wrote:

so if anybody has any ideas, critiques has gone through similar situations and has advice I'd really appreciate it.
how about attaching one of your pics so we can see what you are talking about...

The best thing to do is what I described: a 2 or more picture stack one-atop-another.

Ignore the slope. Get your left/center/right pics with the detail you need and leave a little overlap so you can see in your mind where things match up. Stack them up and use them that way.

If your display is the same one as your profile pic, what I would do is take a stage right shot (left looking at the pic) that puts the edge of your house on the right side, and the top of your roof at the top. Then take a stage left shot (right side of the pic), with the side of the house on the right edge, and the top at the top of the blue tree.

Crop out the parts that won't have lights, and then stack them up.

Glad that you brought this up, I'm having the same issue. No matter what I do, I'm missing about 10ft left or right.

Thanks for the idea, of multiple pictures and splicing them.

wow Dev you are the man. I took new photos but dont know how to load it, a little help please, id like to show you what i did and see if you have a thoughts

oh I see what you are saying. I think i understand now, in the viz, i dont just need to have one photo. I can stack photos and call each part...left yard stage one, center stage 2 and right stage 3. and drive way stage 5. am i getting you right

Ralph D wrote:

ahahahaha. here take a look please
So, is your problem that it is too wide for the visualizer?

Then I would do as Mike suggested and cut it up into three views (one pic)...putting the left bushes on top, house in the middle, right bushes on the bottom...

Ralph D wrote:

oh I see what you are saying. I think i understand now, in the viz, i dont just need to have one photo. I can stack photos and call each part...left yard stage one, center stage 2 and right stage 3. and drive way stage 5. am i getting you right
I don't think you can have multiple photos in the VIZ...

I think Mike was saying you need to CREATE one pic out of your 4 different views...

yes the photo is wide and does not show the driveway well at all, but i can play with it in my photo editing program and do as you and mike said, let me try to this and post it and see what you think