Light-O-Rama Forums

How many power supply can go on a circuit?

Joe Piotrowski

Newbie here. Just starting. Bought my stuff during the spring sale. 3 controlers and 4 CCRs. My plan for the controler is all LED and eventualy have 13 CCRs.

So I'm working on building some boxes for the CCR power supplys. My question is how many can I stick on one 15 amp circuit? And is there any reason why I cannot take that many and splice them into one large plug as not to need multiple recepticals? Or is there any other way powering them, such as a single power supply with multipal outputs?

Second since I'm using LED only for the controlers and don't plan on getting anywhere near 15 amps, can I use only one of the power supply cords and split it to both sides?

Thanks

Joe Piotrowski

Joe Piotrowski wrote:

Second since I'm using LED only for the controlers and don't plan on getting anywhere near 15 amps, can I use only one of the power supply cords and split it to both sides?

See page 12 of the manual (page 6 of the pdf):
http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/CTB16PC_Man_Web.pdf

There is a lot of good stuff in there.

Joe Piotrowski wrote:

So I'm working on building some boxes for the CCR power supplys. My question is how many can I stick on one 15 amp circuit?

**I "stuck" all 12 of mine on one circuit...plus a lot of my controllers since I run all LED**

And is there any reason why I cannot take that many and splice them into one large plug as not to need multiple recepticals?

I just added two double receptacles to the side of each of my boxes (see below)..figured it was easier than trying to splice so many cords...and easier to replace a bad Power Adapter if they go bad (and they can).**

Or is there any other way powering them, such as a single power supply with multipal outputs?

**yes you can..if you can find one with the necessary voltage for the amount of CCR Controllers you want to power...

Attached files 314828=17200-ccr enclosure collage.jpg

Ok, Left picture above,

Since they can all go on one circuit

Wouldn't spicing those 6 AC cords into one long AC cord be easyier then creating 6 recepticals. You could then plug the long AC cord into power on the house. Or am I missing something? If one power supply goes bad, it's still easy to replace just the power supply.

If I could weather proof it, would this replace the whole left picuture?

http://www.computersecuritycameras.com/PS18DC10A.asp

Guest wbottomley

Am I missing something here?

How about taking a short piece of zip cord and add female vampire plugs along the cord. Then place a male end to connect to an extension cord. Problem solved unless the ac power cords are three prong.

Joe Piotrowski wrote:

Wouldn't spicing those 6 AC cords into one long AC cord be easyier then creating 6 recepticals.

**It wasn't easier for me...to much soldering, Shrink tubing (weatherproofing) and I don't think it would look good** :)

You could then plug the long AC cord into power on the house. Or am I missing something?

If one power supply goes bad, it's still easy to replace just the power supply.

**yes, you are correct about that**

If I could weather proof it, would this replace the whole left picuture?

http://www.computersecuritycameras.com/PS18DC10A.asp

The left and right picture are the same enclosure...the right just shows the controllers ON TOP of the power adapters...and for some reason, my work is blocking my access to the link above...so couldn't look at it****

wbottomley wrote:

How about taking a short piece of zip cord and add female vampire plugs along the cord. Then place a male end to connect to an extension cord. Problem solved unless the ac power cords are three prong.
sure...NOW you come up with this idea...where were you 12 months ago!!! :)

Guest wbottomley

jimswinder wrote:

wbottomley wrote:

sure...NOW you come up with this idea...where were you 12 months ago!!!  :)

Watching your tree fall? ;)

wbottomley wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
wbottomley wrote:

sure...NOW you come up with this idea...where were you 12 months ago!!! :)

Watching your tree fall? ;)
watching...or pushing it over in the middle of the night?!?!? :shock:

wbottomley wrote:

Costs less, and no assembly needed:

41Hdyvj078L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Work great for me.

or How about (2) $1 6' indoor extension cords? the ones with 3 outlets on them, plus one into the other and you will have 5 outlets inside your box, with one wire going out for power, and if / when one of your CCR power supplies goes bad, it is a fast swap.

Joe Piotrowski wrote:

... and eventualy have 13 CCRs.

Or is there any other way powering them, such as a single power supply with multipal outputs?

There are several advantages to doing it with a single power supply. One is less wires and less boxes. Another advantage is more efficiency, since with 13 power supplies you'll have 13 times the overhead.

You don't need multiple outputs, just a single 12-volt output that you'll split to multiple 12v power cords. If your future is 13 CCRs all in the same place, then you'll need 3A * 13 = 39A, or nearly 500W. A 500W power supply is not common, so you'll probably have to go with a 350W, which is enough for 8 ribbons.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I basicly copyied your exact setup except I cut all the AC power cords and spiced them into one so I only have one plug leaving the box. Question is how did you attach the 12 power supplies to the wood. I used velcro, but it is alread seperating. (from the wood)

Joe Piotrowski wrote:

Question is how did you attach the 12 power supplies to the wood. I used velcro, but it is alread seperating. (from the wood)
Mine aren't really "attached"...if you can see in the pic below, the adapters are placed between two pieces of wood...then I put another piece of wood in between each adapter...the last piece was nice and tight so it held all of them in place.

Then the controllers were attached to a piece of 1/4" Tile Underlayment and attached to the the boards to the left and right of the adapters.

Attached files 316585=17284-power adapters.jpg

• The topic was locked