Light-O-Rama Forums

~~~ Calling upon the LOR Gods - community newbies ~~~

Mike C.

Hi there my name is Mike C.

I’m a newbie to the game, and will easily go down as the biggest newbie In LOR history. In fact if you look up newbie in the LOR-Wikipedia you’ll find a picture of me. I’ve been trolling the forum since last year around december. I’ve been Trying to read up as much as possible, watching every bodies videos and the how to videos on the LOR website. I think I got the basics, so I think.

Before I continue I would like to warn you of my gratuitous use of CAPS, smiley faces :) , exclamation points!!!!!!!!, and my spelling/grammar are not the greatest.

Quick history run down, I live in the small city of Eastvale California next to the domain of the infamous Cracker in Riverside Ca ( picture below). Last year around Christmas time I was surfing YouTube and ran across Kevin’s (aka KJ92508) this is Halloween video. I was in a WTF! Moment throughout the whole video, thinking to myself how is this possible? No freaking way! That must have taken for ever to set up. This guy must be a rocket scientist or something, and so on. I quickly called over the wife and kids to show them the video and they had a similar reaction. My kids bless their little hearts put me on the spot saying “daddy can we do that next year?”

I paused, and told them yeah I think so, at that point my wife had “the look” on her face. You know the look when they’re thinking “here we go”. I did some digging and found my way to the LOR website and forum. I would consider myself a moderate DYI’r with no fear of the honey does list. I’ve always backed away when it comes to electricity; I had a wake up call when I was changing out a power outlet without shutting off the breaker. :shock:

I think I’m ready to give the madness a try and jump in with both feet.

But I have some if not a lot of questions. So here it goes.

1- Those each 16 channel controller requires a 15-20 amp outlet?

Or can I connect them to a regular outlet?

I was thinking about setting up shop in my garage and I think I have one 15-20 amp outlet there that I have my extra fridge hooked up too.

Can I run the fridge and the controllers off the same outlet?

I want to start off with two controllers this year, but I was wondering if I have to have some 15-20 amp breakers and outlets installed before I get carried away?

2- I read some where about the rule of 3, not to connect more than 3 sets of strings on a single channel. That would be because the max amperage per channel shouldn’t be more than 1amp for the first 14 channels and 0.05 for the other two channels. Is this correct?

So as long as I’m under 1 amp could I connect more than three (LED) sets?

3- I hear a lot about getting/having a Digital Amp Ohm Volt Meter to test the strings of light and display elements. This is to insure that we don’t exceed the max 1amp load per channel correct? I’ve never used one before.

4- Having plenty of extension cords is a big deal, but they could get pretty expensive.

So to run the power to the controllers would I need a 20amp extension cord for each?

Or can I use a 3 15-Amp Extension Cord for both controllers?

To run the power from the controller to the lights/elements I can use regular outdoor extension cords correct?

I’ve read about some members making custom length extension cords using stp-1 18 gauge cable, male vampire plugs and female sockets, is the way to go?

Are they pretty simple to put together?

Does anyone have any links on good deals or know of where I can buy in bulk?

Is there a big difference between stp-1 and stp-2 cable?

5- Once I get ready to order my controllers I know it’s best to get the starter package and just add the extra controller. I’m planning to upgrade to the advance license level, I figure I get that out the way and have it instead of upgrading down the road. Other than the starter package and the extra controller would I need any extra adaptors or cables for the second controller?

I’m going to stay away from DMX for now, it sounds scary. :)

I think that’s it for now and I’m sure I’ll have a ton of more questions to come.

Thanks in advance for all your help and for putting up with my nonsense.

:)

Mike C.

Attached files 314418=17161-eastvale.JPG

1. What do you mean, "regular outlet"? The controllers can be plugged into a outlet like you have in your house. You just to to make sure of the amps you are pulling. I would not plug anything else into that outlet other than the controller.

2. You can have 8 amps MAX on 1 channel, max of15 amps per side, ie1-8 and 9-16, 30 amps total.

3. Go to Home depot, get a kill-a-watt, HD brand is reliance I think, plug in the lights and see what the amps are.

4. You need at least 14 gauge, I think, to power the controllers. SPT is the way to go for the lights. From the controller to the elements. The onlt difference between SPT 1 and 2 is the insulation is thicker on the 2. I buy mine from Skycraft sale and surplus in Orlando Fl, usually 10-11 cents a foot. Vampire plugs I get from Home Depot on line, they only have them once a year close to November if I remember correctly. I will look up the item number later.

5. Start with the advanced license. If you are getting the PC type controllers, whick I would highly recommend, you also need the adaptor, crap, can't remember the number, something 485, I think the starter kit comes with it.

Getting more coffee, will let somone else pick up where I left off. Welcome to the madness!!!!!

Mike C. wrote:

Or can I connect them to a regular outlet? (yes, but consider the power draw if you use regular incan lighting and you have 3-100 mini lights connected to each channel of your controller and you fully energize those lights, so that would be 48 strings of lights fully energized at one time. as stated get a Kill-A-Watt meter.
And if you go LED (highly recommended) your power consumption is reduced dramatically, you will pay more for the upgrade to LED's but you will save electrical costs.

I was thinking about setting up shop in my garage and I think I have one 15-20 amp outlet there that I have my extra fridge hooked up too.

Can I run the fridge and the controllers off the same outlet? (Not recommended)

I want to start off with two controllers this year, but I was wondering if I have to have some 15-20 amp breakers and outlets installed before I get carried away? (Highly recommended using Ground Fault Interrupter Circuit Breakers rated @ 20 Amps
if you not comfortable with electricity and you want to be safe get a licensed electrician to give you an estimate on your power upgrade requirements, you will be amazed on the amount of good nights sleep you will get because you had your electrical work done by a professional )

2- I read some where about the rule of 3, not to connect more than 3 sets of strings on a single channel. That would be because the max amperage per channel shouldn’t be more than 1amp for the first 14 channels and 0.05 for the other two channels. Is this correct?

(Yes, read the boxes that the lights come in, it gives you the max amount on the box and remember you rate your electrical consumption by all lights on all controllers fully energized, this is where incan vs. LED comes into play)

3- I hear a lot about getting/having a Digital Amp Ohm Volt Meter to test the strings of light and display elements. This is to insure that we don’t exceed the max 1amp load per channel correct? I’ve never used one before. ( A volt meter is good for checking electrical power to your controllers, and other continuity checking, here is a link to Kill-A-Watt its the 2nd easiest thing and the safest thing to do)

4- Having plenty of extension cords is a big deal, but they could get pretty expensive.

So to run the power to the controllers would I need a 20amp extension cord for each? (no, read below)

To run the power from the controller to the lights/elements I can use regular outdoor extension cords correct?

I’ve read about some members making custom length extension cords using stp-1 18 gauge cable, male vampire plugs and female sockets, is the way to go?

Is there a big difference between stp-1 and stp-2 cable? (SPT is the way to go, yes they are simple, by far it will be the easiest thing you will do in getting started in synchronized lighting, there are plenty of dealers of electrical supplies you can search on-line, or look around in these forums or what I do is I go to my local electrical supply store and purchase from there, I save shipping and they always gave me a great price).

SPT1 - lamp cord basically, is good for household items like lamps, clocks its rated at 300 volts @ 7 amps

SPT2 - has a thicker jacket than SPT1 and and is better for long runs and commercial uses, and you can get 10 amps @ 300 volts

SPT1 vampire plug will not work on a SPT2 jacket, don't mix and match.

5- Once I get ready to order my controllers I know it’s best to get the starter package and just add the extra controller. I’m planning to upgrade to the advance license level, I figure I get that out the way and have it instead of upgrading down the road. Other than the starter package and the extra controller would I need any extra adaptors or cables for the second controller? (Cat5 cable is the easiest way to connect your controllers)

I’m going to stay away from DMX for now, it sounds scary. :) (If Kevin said that he never would have had a viral video get to know DMX/RGB/CCR, kidding DMX will be waiting for you and you will love it)

I think that’s it for now and I’m sure I’ll have a ton of more questions to come.

Thanks in advance for all your help and for putting up with my nonsense.

:)

Mike C.

Remember you need to have your lights heard, so you need either a PA sound system, or a FM Transmitter, and a nice video camera to record your work for us to see

If you're using LEDs, you are over thinking the cords and power problem.

I've got my whole display plugged into one regular 15amp outlet on the front porch.

Using 15 controllers (4 of them DC controllers), again, plugged into one outlet. Didn't have a problem and didn't dim the interior lights during the show.

Attached files 314422=17162-House lights 2011.JPG

PMC wrote SPT1 - lamp cord basically, is good for household items like lamps, clocks its rated at 300 volts @ 7 amps

SPT2 - has a thicker jacket than SPT1 and and is better for long runs and commercial uses, and you can get 10 amps @ 300 volts

Not to doubt you sir, but I just looked up SPT1 and 2 and it states they are both rated for 10 amps. Is this wrong?

shfr26 wrote:

PMC wrote SPT1 - lamp cord basically, is good for household items like lamps, clocks its rated at 300 volts @ 7 amps

Not to doubt you sir, but I just looked up SPT1 and 2 and it states they are both rated for 10 amps. Is this wrong?

Here is my source

I'm not a LOR God by any standard, but I'll answer what I can. First, let me commend you on your trolling and research thus far.

Second, welcome to the insanity. Sounds like you know what you want to do, so make a plan to get you to your goal.

Last year was my first year. I started planning in January, sequencing in March. Since it was my first year, I had a lot of prep work to do. It kept me busy every weekend.

Or can I connect them to a regular outlet?

No special outlets required, unless you need more. You've probably got an outlet somewhere on the outside of your house already.

Can I run the fridge and the controllers off the same outlet?

Probably could. But I would say no, just for the sake of your controllers. The fridge will probably trip the breaker when it kicks in, if you run your lights off of it as well.

I want to start off with two controllers this year, but I was wondering if I have to have some 15-20 amp breakers and outlets installed before I get carried away?

Not necessarily, but I think most of us installed, or had installed extra outlets. If you're using LED's, then you'll only need 1 15/20 amp outlet for your 2 controllers.

If you're going to go all out, then by all means, install more outlets, you'll definitely need them. I had a 50 amp RV outlet installed and I built a portable sub panel with 12 outlets that I plug my controllers in to.

Maybe Denise is trolling. If I remember correctly, she is running 50K LEDs off 2 20 amp outlets. I just finished switching all my controllers over to 1 plug.

Not sure where you read that rule. If you're using LED, then that rule doesn't apply at 0.04 amps per string. I think it's 25 strings to equal 1 amp, connect away my friend.

3- I hear a lot about getting/having a Digital Amp Ohm Volt Meter to test the strings of light and display elements. This is to insure that we don’t exceed the max 1amp load per channel correct? I’ve never used one before.

Kill-a-watt meter at HD or Lowes, for like $15. Plug it an outlet and your lights into the meter and it will show you how many amps you are using.

So to run the power to the controllers would I need a 20amp extension cord for each?

Using LEDs that should not be a problem as long as you don't exceed the 15/20amp breaker limit.

Not sure what you mean by regular. Regualar outdoor cords will get expensive. SPT1 or 2 (lamp cord) is the way to go.

Absolutely, I use SPT2, but 1 will do the job.

The cord lays in the socket and you slide the cover on to make the connection. Doesn't get any simpler than that.

Is there a big difference between stp-1 and stp-2 cable?

UV protection. The insulation is thicker on SPT2, so make sure you get the correct vampire plugs, or you'll have problems with your cords.

5- Once I get ready to order my controllers I know it’s best to get the starter package and just add the extra controller. I’m planning to upgrade to the advance license level, I figure I get that out the way and have it instead of upgrading down the road. Other than the starter package and the extra controller would I need any extra adaptors or cables for the second controller?

Good move going with the advance license. You'll need Cat 5 cable and one of the USB adapters to connect the controllers to your computer and to each other, or get the easy linkers for wireless.

I run my show from my desktop in my office, so I use the linkers to connect to the outside and cat 5 to connect the controllers to each other.

Santas Helper wrote:

I've got my whole display plugged into one regular 15amp outlet on the front porch.

Using 15 controllers (4 of them DC controllers), again, plugged into one outlet. Didn't have a problem and didn't dim the interior lights during the show.

I think I found the Photo I'm using for my 2012 Christmas Cards :)

Attached files 314427=17163-House lights 2011.JPG
  • Like 1

PMC wrote:

shfr26 wrote:

Here is my source

I see, this is where I got mine.

http://www.awcwire.com/Part.aspx?partname=SPT-1-18/2

The "rule of 3" is not about controllers, it's about incandescent light strings. The idea is to not have more than 3 strings plugged into each other in a single "line".

I would suggest that the first thing you should do is fix the layout of your display. This will give you an idea of how many extension cords, controllers, and lights you will need. Once you know the number of lights you need, you can calculate your approximate power requirement.

Also, normally each outlet in your house is NOT a 15 amp circuit. If you are planning to use your existing power outlets to run your display, you will need to determine what is on each circuit in your house. For example, if you shut off the breaker that controls the power to your garage outlet, do any other outlets in the house go dead? If they do, you need to know the current power use at those outlets, in addition to the garage use. Say the current draw on that circuit is 6 amps, you will only have 6 amps (using the 80% rule) available to run controllers.

shfr26 wrote:

PMC wrote:
shfr26 wrote:

Here is my source

I see, this is where I got mine.

http://www.awcwire.com/Part.aspx?partname=SPT-1-18/2

Lets go with 8.5 Amps :)

I can amp test these 2 cables at work and see what it can handle before meltdown

PMC wrote:

Santas Helper wrote:

I think I found the Photo I'm using for my 2012 Christmas Cards :)

I like it Paul. And it's fitting with your last name too. :) Christmas Carroll

Don Gillespie wrote:

So far no one has mentioned if you are going to add outlets to your home make them GFI outlets, saftey first. :D

Sure Don, start that battle of words again! Way to go.:D

PMC wrote:

Mike C. wrote:

I want to start off with two controllers this year, but I was wondering if I have to have some 15-20 amp breakers and outlets installed before I get carried away? (Highly recommended using Ground Fault Interrupter Circuit Breakers rated @ 20 Amps
if you not comfortable with electricity and you want to be safe get a licensed electrician to give you an estimate on your power upgrade requirements, you will be amazed on the amount of good nights sleep you will get because you had your electrical work done by a professional )

I did mention GFI's..... but I'm waiting for the mention of what FM Transmitter he's going to use. :D

Santas Helper wrote:

PMC wrote:
Santas Helper wrote:

I think I found the Photo I'm using for my 2012 Christmas Cards :D

I like it Paul. And it's fitting with your last name too. :D Christmas Carroll

kinda funny you mention that, I do have the URL

http://christmascarrolls.com

it's 24/7/365 Christmas Music

PMC wrote:

Santas Helper wrote:
PMC wrote:
Santas Helper wrote:

I think I found the Photo I'm using for my 2012 Christmas Cards :D

I like it Paul. And it's fitting with your last name too. :D Christmas Carroll

it's 24/7/365 Christmas Music

Now that is cool :cool:.

Santas Helper wrote:

PMC wrote:
Santas Helper wrote:
PMC wrote:
Santas Helper wrote:

I think I found the Photo I'm using for my 2012 Christmas Cards  :D

I like it Paul. And it's fitting with your last name too. :D Christmas Carroll

it's  24/7/365 Christmas Music

Now that is cool :cool:.

+1

Mike C. wrote:

2- I read some where about the rule of 3, not to connect more than 3 sets of strings on a single channel.  That would be because the max amperage per channel shouldn’t be more than 1amp for the first 14 channels and 0.05 for the other two channels. Is this correct?

Welcome to the best hobby in the world.

The "rule of three" is a hold-over from incandescent lights. Most sets have a fuse in the plug. You can connect the sets end to end, but the sets state to not plug in more than 3 sets together.

For example a set of 100 incandescent mini lights uses about .34 amps. If you run three in a row, you are just over 1 amp. A channel of a controller could easily handle that. You could put a 3-way splitter on the controller dongle and plug 3 sets of 3 strings each and you would be pulling a little over 3 amps if you used that channel at 100%. That is no where near the 8 amps limit per channel if you have the heat sinks installed in the controller.

Caution: while you can plug 8 amps of lights into each of the 8 channels on one side of the controller, but you cannot turn all 8 channels on at 100% at the same time as you would be drawing 64 amps on that side of the controller and blow the fuse in the controller (and possibly damage the controller).

You will see the 80% rule quoted here often. 80% is a safety margin. So, if you have a 15amp circuit that is dedicated to only LOR, you shouldn't plan to use more than 12 amps on that circuit. Where possible, apply the 80% rule to cords, channels, outlets...anything that has a limit.

Have fun and watch your budget. It is too easy to get our of control.