Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter question

oj70chevy

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the edm with RDS uses a different main board than the other edm products. So I would say no, RDS cannot be added later directly to an edm transmitter that is not designed for RDS. However, I think I've seen RDS devices that can be added inline to an audio source before reaching the transmitter. So potentially it is possible, but the setup is more complicated. I use the edm-RDS model and love it. If you think you might even possibly consider RDS later, I would recommend getting it now even if you don't use it the first year.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Timon

• oj70chevy

• PMC

• George Simmons

oj70chevy wrote:

If I don't get the rds now can it be added later or is it a one time thing?

Before EDM developed their RDS model, I interfaced an RDS encoder to 3 different transmitters. Read about it here.

Steven wrote:

oj70chevy wrote:

Before EDM developed their RDS model, I interfaced an RDS encoder to 3 different transmitters.  Read about it here.

WOW! great wright up. to bad I do not have the skill to do it (well after thinking about it,,,, no i'm sure i cant do it.)I thought it was maybe just adding a chip or some easy task. looks like it not for a novice. Thanks for the info though
I also see 3 different units on their site and are listed below. what are the main differences with them beside the price and the last has RSD?

$ 166
EDM-LCD-CS-EP
100mW PCB, Parts, Antenna,
Regulated 12V PSU, Includes metal enclosure
Adjustable RF output
1-10mW and 2-100mW

$ 214
EDM-TX-LCD-EP
10/100mW PCB, Parts, LCD display,
Antenna, Regulated 12V PSU,
Metal enclosure
RF adjustable (1-10mW and 2-100mW)

$255
EDM-LCD-RDS-EP
10/100mW PCB, TX Parts, LCD display,
Metal enclosure
RDS chip & data cable included

oj70chevy wrote:

to bad I do not have the skill to do it (well after thinking about it,,,, no i'm sure i cant do it.)
I ordered a Ramsey FM30B Kit thinking it was one of those where you just needed to solder on the power line...

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FM30B

Boy, was I surprised when I opened it up and found out it was a full blown kit!!!

It sat around for a few days because I was also convinced "I do not have the skill to do it", but finally decided to give it a try...

The instructions were easy to follow and I took my time and in a few days I had it built...and to my surprise, worked the first time I tested it...

Worked for two seasons now...I just wish I had known about the RDS models...I would have spent the extra money and gotten one of those

So if I can do it...anyone can do it...

My only concern with people using radios with to much power or some of the real cheap Asian radios that splatter all over the band is this. Lets say that FCC starts getting all kind of complaints. FCC will go from passive reaction to actively seeking out possible problem sites. I would like to think that I am ok to maybe my little toe over the line. Not enough to cause any problems with my neighbors. But with FCC on the warpath, I could become another victim to their witch hunt.

That is why I would rather see that we as a group do our darnest to stay within the spirit of the regulations. That and being a HAM radio op, it is has been beaten into my head to stay "legal".

Max-Paul wrote:

My only concern with people using radios with to much power or some of the real cheap Asian radios that splatter all over the band is this. Lets say that FCC starts getting all kind of complaints. FCC will go from passive reaction to actively seeking out possible problem sites. I would like to think that I am ok to maybe my little toe over the line. Not enough to cause any problems with my neighbors. But with FCC on the warpath, I could become another victim to their witch hunt.

That is why I would rather see that we as a group do our darnest to stay within the spirit of the regulations. That and being a HAM radio op, it is has been beaten into my head to stay "legal".

The China transmitters do broadcast much farther than needed. That is also another reason I want an EDM. I have a couple heretic neighbors who will be looking to shut me down this year. I don't want to give them any extra ammo.

Max-Paul wrote:

Being a Ham my self, N6BER, I have to totally argree with you. We need to help push transmitters that are going to stay as legal as possible. Now for us Hams we really have to stay "Legal" as we would put our license in jeopardy because we "know better".

I have a dagcoelectronics.com .5w unit cranked down to .1w and it is by far enough power to cover 3 city blocks. Also I have it set on a timer to cut on and off with in 30 min of the show. So I am not broadcasting dead air all day. There cable has some frequency bleed. So I am upgrading the cable this year and installing the Ramsey TM100 antenna

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=TM100

oj70chevy wrote:

Steven wrote:
oj70chevy wrote:

Before EDM developed their RDS model, I interfaced an RDS encoder to 3 different transmitters.  Read about it here.

WOW! great wright up. to bad I do not have the skill to do it (well after thinking about it,,,, no i'm sure i cant do it.)I thought it was maybe just adding a chip or some easy task. looks like it not for a novice. Thanks for the info though
I also see 3 different units on their site and are listed below. what are the main differences with them beside the price and the last has RSD?

$ 166
EDM-LCD-CS-EP
Adjustable RF output
1-10mW and 2-100mW

$ 214
EDM-TX-LCD-EP
Metal enclosure

$255
EDM-LCD-RDS-EP
Metal enclosure

Just in-case any one else is looking at going this rout.

Hi Ralph,

The EDM-TX-LCD-EP and RDS-EP are basically the same unit (as far as audio performance) except for the RDS function. They are our top of the range “Audiophile” models for people who are serious about sound quality.
They are the choice of audio experts and professionals worldwide.

The EDM-LCD-CS-EP is our budget line transmitter. It still produces very good sound but with signal-to-noise-ratio not as good as the previous units.

Of course, all of our units come with a four-year warranty and adjustable RF power to enable you to transmit only as far as needed, without the risk of causing interference to others.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Regards, EDM Sales

oj70chevy wrote:

Hi Ralph,

The EDM-TX-LCD-EP and RDS-EP are basically the same unit (as far as audio performance) except for the RDS function. They are our top of the range “Audiophile” models for people who are serious about sound quality.

The EDM-LCD-CS-EP is our budget line transmitter. It still produces very good sound but with signal-to-noise-ratio not as good as the previous units.

Of course, all of our units come with a four-year warranty and adjustable RF power to enable you to transmit only as far as needed, without the risk of causing interference to others.

Regards, EDM Sales

and I bet they responded within 24 hours.

Great quality product, Great four-year warranty and Great customer service.

drink the kool-aid!

lol. I would say in about 20 minuets i had a response. that being said I already orders the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP. And like Steve, I hope this means everyone still likes me here. :)

oj70chevy wrote:

lol. I would say in about 20 minuets i had a response. that being said I already orders the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP. And like Steve, I hope this means everyone still likes me here. :)

Regardless whether anyone here likes you, I'm sure you're gonna like the transmitter. And the RDS feature is a lot of fun. Enjoy.

oj70chevy wrote:

oj70chevy wrote:
Steven wrote:
oj70chevy wrote:

$ 166
EDM-LCD-CS-EP
Adjustable RF output
1-10mW and 2-100mW

$ 214
EDM-TX-LCD-EP
Metal enclosure

$255
EDM-LCD-RDS-EP
Metal enclosure

Hi Ralph,

Regards, EDM Sales

Good info, Thanks.

Aaron Maue wrote:

oj70chevy wrote:

Regardless whether anyone here likes you,

Aaron give it time, Ill grow on you (not like a fungus or anything)lol :)

And your welcome Steve.

Timon wrote:

Being a Ham my self, N6BER, I have to totally argree with you. We need to help push transmitters that are going to stay as legal as possible. Now for us Hams we really have to stay "Legal" as we would put our license in jeopardy because we "know better".
KF0OX here. Have to admit, didn't think that far out. Yes I suppose the HAM lic might be on the line also. :shock:

And Chevy, Lived just a little over two years down in San Antonio. Was USAF @ Kelly AFB as a Ground Radio Repair Tech.

oj70chevy wrote:

Aaron give it time, Ill grow on you (not like a fungus or anything)lol :P

Ha! So, more like a wart? Just kidding. Glad you're on board. And appears you don't take yourself too seriously. That will serve you well here.

Let us know when the EDM comes in and what you think of it.

columbus27 wrote:

So I am upgrading the cable this year and installing the Ramsey TM100 antenna

The single element that has been missing from this discussion, and arguably the most important.

I have used this antenna for the past two years and it is awesome! I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

I've held a license with the FCC since 1978, and I been preaching about the Part 15 rules on here for years, some listen, some don't. I've asked for a sticky thread about radio broadcasting months ago, It maybe my fault for not following up on it. but this "broadcasting" is probably the #1 way people hear the lights and it should be an important part of knowledge for all sequencers. Yes the FCC will shut you down, take your equipment and leave you with a hefty fine, and if you interfere with a commercial radio stations signal you will be charged with loss of revenue also. The FCC doesn't have the man power to look for you, but 1 complaint from anyone about you interfering with their reception of their favorite station and it will put the black truck in your neighborhood, and trust me it takes minutes to triangulate a signal

okay enough from me, again

I always wanted to get my ham ticket, but it would feel like I'm bringing work home with me. and trust me I spent enough time on my own part 15 radio system

oj70chevy wrote:

lol. I would say in about 20 minuets i had a response. that being said I already orders the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP. And like Steve, I hope this means everyone still likes me here. :P

Welcome to the club!

I agree PMC, we can try to tell others that broadcasting is like speeding down the hi-way. You might get by with it for a time, be it short or long. But one day when you think your God and no one will touch you. Mr Hi-way Patrolman will be over a hill that he never has been before and you will be busted.

Was it last year that someone posted that someone had one of those 1 or 5 watt transmitters and was busted and fined a considerable amount of money? As either a HAM radio operator or someone who works on commercial radios. We see these reports floating around on the web. People, believe that when the FCC has taken the time to document your activities, the fines are not a mere slap on the wrist. It is more like 10 to 20 thousand dollars. Not the simple 100 bucks for doing 10 or 15 miles over the posted speed limit.

In truth, the Whole House transmitters is one of the very few transmitters that is legal. Anything else is generally not legal. Do as you wish, but I advise you keep the power down and limit the usable signal down to a few houses away from yours. More than a few houses let the signal get static like.