Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter question

oj70chevy

I use a Rangestar 500 MW transmitter from Dagco Electronics. Paid about $145.00 with shipping. I have it located in our basement and just use the little rubber antenna that came with it. It puts out great sound quality and reaches out a half mile or so. Never tried anything else , no need to. Just plug & play.

Jerry

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Timon

• oj70chevy

• PMC

• George Simmons

oj70chevy wrote:

great Aaron. thanks do you recomend I buy it with the RDS or not?

Totally your call. I'm a gadget guy, so I had fun setting up the extra feature. I broadcast the song name and artist for each song in my show. Some of our visitors thought it was cool. Once it's set up, it's pretty straightforward. There are a few threads that point you in the right direction. If you don't have a good way to test it, I think I'd stay away from it. Both of my cars have RDS, so I had access to a good test solution. If I didn't, I think I'd go crazy not knowing if it was working the way I wanted it to. :P

Jerry wrote:

I use a Rangestar 500 MW transmitter from Dagco Electronics. Paid about $145.00 with shipping. I have it located in our basement and just use the little rubber antenna that came with it. It puts out great sound quality and reaches out a half mile or so. Never tried anything else , no need to. Just plug & play.

Jerry

That transmitter can be found here: http://www.dagcoelectronics.com/store/500-mw-rangestar-wireless-music-long-range-fm-transmitter-2 for $99.95 plus shipping.

I bought one from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/100mW-500mW-Power-adj-76-108Mhz-Home-FM-TRANSMITTER-/330467454757?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf1652f25#ht_6329wt_1010 for half that. I believe that they are the same and known as the CZH-05B

I like mine, but have only used it for one show. The guy in this post liked the same one http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=31385&forum_id=80

As did a couple of other posters in this post http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=31385&forum_id=80

Many people are saying that it bleeds to other channels and could cause issues with the FCC, but I haven't seen a post where these worries have become reality.

Personally, I'd rather save the $100 towards another controller. Maybe I will regret it later and wind up in FCC jail and then have to purchase the hallowed EDM upon my release.

If you do buy the CZH, be sure to get it with the antenna and power supply.

For the EDM faithful, please accept my apology for the sacrilege of mentioning an inferior transmitter in the same post as the all-mighty.

Forgive me EDM, for I know not what I have done.

eurbani wrote:

Many people are saying that it bleeds to other channels and could cause issues with the FCC, but I haven't seen a post where these worries have become reality.

Personally, I'd rather save the $100 towards another controller.

If you don't see a problem with a cheap transmitter having issues with frequency drift, I respectfully question your qualifications to give advice in this matter.

Personally, I think it's irresponsible to recommend that someone should purchase a questionable product that many people, by your own words, have found defective and/or substandard. We're supposed to be HELPING new people, not hurting them.

I used the czh-05b this season and it worked well.
I will be buying the EDM though for this year.
I want better sound, and I also don't want everyone here to hate me.

eurbani wrote:

Jerry wrote:

Jerry

That transmitter can be found here: http://www.dagcoelectronics.com/store/500-mw-rangestar-wireless-music-long-range-fm-transmitter-2 for $99.95 plus shipping.

I bought one from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/100mW-500mW-Power-adj-76-108Mhz-Home-FM-TRANSMITTER-/330467454757?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf1652f25#ht_6329wt_1010 for half that. I believe that they are the same and known as the CZH-05B

I like mine, but have only used it for one show. The guy in this post liked the same one http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=31385&forum_id=80

As did a couple of other posters in this post http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=31385&forum_id=80

Personally, I'd rather save the $100 towards another controller. Maybe I will regret it later and wind up in FCC jail and then have to purchase the hallowed EDM upon my release.

If you do buy the CZH, be sure to get it with the antenna and power supply.

For the EDM faithful, please accept my apology for the sacrilege of mentioning an inferior transmitter in the same post as the all-mighty.

Forgive me EDM, for I know not what I have done.

You referenced the same thread twice, but we get your point..there are some people satisfied with the CZH models of FM transmitters. You'll find that transmitter in several different versions/prices/sources. Its cheap(er) as there is no tech support, no warranty service, and the specs do not rival an EDM or some of the other better transmitters.

If you're happy with that, and a couple positive comments about the CZH satisfy you, versus the boatloads of positive EDM comments, and cautions about the other cheapy models from other users, then that is all you need. Kind of a weird way to make a buying decision, but each to his own.

oj70chevy wrote:

one more question on this. I was looking and see it says "7.It is left up to the buyer to have the basic soldering skills to assemble and connect up the kit ". how involved is the sodering on the EDM unit. I am not very stong on this front but have done sone minimul sodering stuff like 2 or 3 wires but never on a board.

Thanks.
Ralph

I have the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP model and love it. At the time of purchase, I didn't solder either, but this was a piece of cake. I trusted what others here had said that it was ridiculously easy to "assemble" this unit (assemble makes it sound like more than it is). All EDM's require some assembly to allow it to be called a "kit". Well, EDM took the least assembly required approach. Have to solder 1 single part, and it isn't even a tough connection since basically all you have to do is let the solder fill the holes where the part attaches (see page 6 of this manual for great pictures http://www.edmdesign.com/docs/EDM-TX-RDS.pdf )

First off, Steve thats good stuff there. Had me rolling.:P I'm new here but I'll go as far as to say I like you too.

Dough THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. the Operating Instructions will help so much in trying to understand this unit with out having it in my hand.

George Simmons wrote:

If you don't see a problem with a cheap transmitter having issues with frequency drift, I respectfully question your qualifications to give advice in this matter.  

Personally, I think it's irresponsible to recommend that someone should purchase a questionable product that many people, by your own words, have found defective and/or substandard.  We're supposed to be HELPING new people, not hurting them.

I didn't say that I don't see a problem with frequency drift. I said that people on this forum have said that people bleeding to other channels could cause issues with the FCC, but no one has reported that they have actually had the problem.

Everyone with an EDM loves it. I haven't seen any posts here about someone with the CZH hating it or getting into trouble with it. I have seen at least one post that someone said that he wish he'd saved the money and likes the CZH that someone else had.

Let's face it there is no right answer to anything in this hobby. I'm cheap. I'm so tight that I squeak. Sometimes this has bit me and I have to rebuy. Overall, I'd say that looking for bargains has served me well and I'm ahead in my purchases.

If my CZH fails, I will post that here. If the FCC hauls me away in cuffs or fines me, I will do the same.

Again my appologies to the EDM faithful. I'm sure that your faith is well-founded. Discussions about religion generally don't turn out well and people should generally keep them between people of the same faith that you can agree with as you will rarely get a convert.

FYI: When I started this hobby, I met with a local who uses and is happy with the whole house transmitter. He keeps the opinion to himself as his faith is not the majority faith here.

One thing I did was put the transmitter on a timer so I would not broadcast all day long. The transmitter powers up a few minutes before the show and broadcasts my narration about the "show is about to start". It powers off a few minutes after the last show.

bobschm wrote:

One thing I did was put the transmitter on a timer so I would not broadcast all day long. The transmitter powers up a few minutes before the show and broadcasts my narration about the "show is about to start". It powers off a few minutes after the last show.

I do the same thing with X-10. It also turns on the FM sign.

eurbani wrote:

George Simmons wrote:

If you don't see a problem with a cheap transmitter having issues with frequency drift, I respectfully question your qualifications to give advice in this matter.

Personally, I think it's irresponsible to recommend that someone should purchase a questionable product that many people, by your own words, have found defective and/or substandard. We're supposed to be HELPING new people, not hurting them.

I didn't say that I don't see a problem with frequency drift. I said that people on this forum have said that people bleeding to other channels could cause issues with the FCC, but no one has reported that they have actually had the problem.

Everyone with an EDM loves it. I haven't seen any posts here about someone with the CZH hating it or getting into trouble with it. I have seen at least one post that someone said that he wish he'd saved the money and likes the CZH that someone else had.

Let's face it there is no right answer to anything in this hobby. I'm cheap. I'm so tight that I squeak. Sometimes this has bit me and I have to rebuy. Overall, I'd say that looking for bargains has served me well and I'm ahead in my purchases.

If my CZH fails, I will post that here. If the FCC hauls me away in cuffs or fines me, I will do the same.

Again my appologies to the EDM faithful. I'm sure that your faith is well-founded. Discussions about religion generally don't turn out well and people should generally keep them between people of the same faith that you can agree with as you will rarely get a convert.

FYI: When I started this hobby, I met with a local who uses and is happy with the whole house transmitter. He keeps the opinion to himself as his faith is not the majority faith here.

Bleeding onto other channels will be an issue if it happens and someone complains. Thats the key: if the transmitter (any transmitter) creates a problem, and a complaint is lodged with the FCC, they will look into it. Its beyond extremely doubtful anyone gets led away in cuffs, or even fined (but it can, and has, happened), but the overarching issue, to me, is ensuring you are using a quality product that will not cause problems. Again, everyone makes that decision on their own, sometimes with knowledge of the risks, many times, as you'll read on here, with no knowledge whatsoever (reference comments such as "yea, this transmitter is the bomb, I can hear it 3 miles away...")

There are a lot of passionate believers in a subset of products discussed on this forum, EDM is one of those products. If that scares someone, not sure there is anything anyone else can do about it...

eurbani wrote:

George Simmons wrote:

Just like religion, sometimes people will just have to find out the hard way that they picked the wrong one in the end. :P

George Simmons wrote:

Timon wrote:
You might try radio-locator.com again just to make sure.

However, be advised that the recommended radio-locator site is almost, but not quite as accurate as a blind dart-thrower wearing mittens with a big dog biting his ankle during a hurricane.

I love that.

It's a starting point but you combine it with the FCC database, link below. In many markets you'll find repeater/translator stations. These are usually 10W stations that are used when a stations main transmitter can't cover a smaller area within their broadcast area. The FCC will normally not put any other stations close to these 10W stations so they can reuse the frequency for multiple ones in a given area. These frequencies make good canadates for us to use.

Using the follow page enter your location at the bottom then set the radius around you want to check. This will give you a list of all FM stations around you.

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/fm-query-broadcast-station-search

BTW, it's all metric.

One thing I noticed not mentioned is that the EDM also has an adjustable range by changing the mW output dial. This way you get a high quality transmission with the shorter range you are looking for.

Rich wrote:

One thing I noticed not mentioned is that the EDM also has an adjustable range by changing the mW output dial. This way you get a high quality transmission with the shorter range you are looking for.

Thanks Rich
Edit : If I don't get the rds now can it be added later or is it a one time thing?

oj70chevy wrote:

Rich wrote:

Thanks Rich
Edit : If I don't get the rds now can it be added later or is it a one time thing?

There are RDS modules that can be use with a non-RDS transmitters, but its better to buy the whole thing from EDM once. Spend the $40 extra!

These threads always start with a question and end with mud.