Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter question

oj70chevy

OK I have read many many many forums on FM transmitters. and have seen the EDM, Ramsey, black box and others. my question is, the unit will be set up so that it will only be about 30 to 35 yard away from the other side of the street. the ones mentioned above seem like over kill (in my opinion for what its worth). and I would just like to know what would be a low price unit that will get my music out to say the 50 yard mark?

Thanks
Ralph

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Timon

• oj70chevy

• PMC

• George Simmons

You are paying THOUSANDS for the lights and controllers (visual)...why skimp on the audio???

To me...Audio is 50% of the display...if they can't hear AND understand the music/lyrics...what's the point?

It's not just about coverage...it's about the quality...

go with one of the above mentioned...and DO NOT go with a cheap Whole House Transmitter...

I had one and it would not even get outside the window to my car in the driveway less than 20' away

IMO

jimswinder wrote:

You are paying THOUSANDS for the lights and controllers (visual)...why skimp on the audio???

To me...Audio is 50% of the display...if they can't hear AND understand the music/lyrics...what's the point?

go with one of the above mentioned...and DO NOT go with a cheap Whole House Transmitter...

I had one and it would not even get outside the window to my car in the driveway less than 20' away

IMO
+1

jimswinder wrote:

IMO

I agree wholeheartedly, completely, 100% with everything Jim said. No offense intended, but if you can't afford a good transmitter you should seriously re-consider whether this hobby is for you.

Did any of the responses thus far vary from all of the other responses that you have read on all of those forums? If not, what are you going to do now? Go and ask your question somewhere else hoping that someone will agree with you?

We have all either experience the "Cheap Transmitters" or have heard what others had to say about their cheap transmitters. What we have above is VOSA (voice of sound advice).

jimswinder wrote:

It's not just about coverage...it's about  the quality...

IMO

I got the same advice and now can say that I agree wholeheartedly. I hadn't thought about it til someone pointed it out (might have been jimswinder then too), but he's right. We spend so much on the visual stuff, that even an "expensive" EDM unit is a fraction of the total investment. I've been super pleased with my EDM LCD RDS unit. So pleased that I even bought another as a backup, in case I manage to do something really stupid and break the first one. It's rock solid though, so I think it'll take almost anything I can dish out. So, for now, I'll just call it "stupidity insurance." :). OK... Let the bashing begin.

jimswinder wrote:

IMO

Max-Paul wrote:
Did any of the responses thus far vary from all of the other responses that you have read on all of those forums? .....

We have all either experience the "Cheap Transmitters" or have heard what others had to say about their cheap transmitters. What we have above is VOSA (voice of sound advice).

A Smart man learns from his mistakes, a SMARTER man learns from others.

I can tell you how a Smart man spends $350 for the EDM Transmitter ... learn from your mistake and spend $100 on the "Cheap Transmitter" this year and then invest $250 on the correct one next year.

Your choice! The SMARTER man saves $100. I was the "Smart" man and ended up spending $350 when I was done.

Now, I learn from my colleagues here. Don't discount the free advise or it will cost more you in the long run.

George Simmons wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

IMO

I agree wholeheartedly, completely, 100% with everything Jim said.  No offense intended, but if you can't afford a good transmitter you should seriously re-consider whether this hobby is for you.

Funny George but I think its to late to pick another hobby and I don't want to as i'm liking this one to much lol. Thanks for the reply's And Jim I see your point and ill be ordering the EDM LCD unit tomorrow. It was not my intention to go cheap but was only asking as everything i ready showed these units reaching out up to 2 miles and I thought maybe there was a better solution for me as I don't need to go that far. That's what i get for thinking.:)

on a side note we need a like button, because i do like make posts out there.

I actually went with a cheapo transmitter off Ebay, because I wasn't sure I wanted to transmit AT ALL. Around here there are no vacant bands so I would definitely be stepping on a local broadcast. I used the cheap transmitter to see if any neighbor would complain that I was blotting out "Prairie Home Companion" on Tuesday night or something. If transmitting was a No go, I would rely soley on speakers and not feel bad that I wasted $$$ on a high end transmitter.

No complaints from the neighbors. But as everyone points out...sound quality was marginal. Although most viewers wouldn't know if they were listening in a bucket anyway.

That's strange you couldn't find one channel. I'm in the Los Angeles basin area which is very congested and there is at least one on the Orange County side. For those on the Valley side there is one as well. You might try radio-locator.com again just to make sure.

$350? I spent 151 on the LCD-CS-EP I hope I got the right one hasn't arrived yet? Also what is the ship time? I ordered on 3-29 and nothing yet...I almost forgot I had even ordered it til this post haha

roach.dan@gmail.com wrote:

$350? I spent 151 on the LCD-CS-EP I hope I got the right one hasn't arrived yet? Also what is the ship time? I ordered on 3-29 and nothing yet...I almost forgot I had even ordered it til this post haha

Re-read the post as to why he spent $350. You'll be happy with yours.

one more question on this. I was looking and see it says "7.It is left up to the buyer to have the basic soldering skills to assemble and connect up the kit ". how involved is the sodering on the EDM unit. I am not very stong on this front but have done sone minimul sodering stuff like 2 or 3 wires but never on a board.

Thanks.
Ralph

Timon wrote:

You might try radio-locator.com again just to make sure.

However, be advised that the recommended radio-locator site is almost, but not quite as accurate as a blind dart-thrower wearing mittens with a big dog biting his ankle during a hurricane. If you want something accurate, and I think in this case you do, get in your car and check every frequency yourself - during the day and also at night.

George Simmons wrote:

Timon wrote:
You might try radio-locator.com again just to make sure.

However, be advised that the recommended radio-locator site is almost, but not quite as accurate as a blind dart-thrower wearing mittens with a big dog biting his ankle during a hurricane. If you want something accurate, and I think in this case you do, get in your car and check every frequency yourself - during the day and also at night.

that happened to me last season,I used the radio locator and few where really vacant,so as George said get in the car and try out all the numbers until you get good static. once I found a good static channel I drove at least 5 miles to see if it stayed static

oj70chevy wrote:

one more question on this. I was looking and see it says "7.It is left up to the buyer to have the basic soldering skills to assemble and connect up the kit ". how involved is the sodering on the EDM unit. I am not very stong on this front but have done sone minimul sodering stuff like 2 or 3 wires but never on a board.

Thanks.
Ralph

Assuming they haven't changed their "kits", all you need to do is solder in the power connector. Super easy. And I'm a complete novice. This was my second attempt at soldering anything. Ever. Worked the first time.

And I agree with George on finding a frequency. Scan through the frequency dial on your car radio yourself to find an open frequency. I didn't have good luck with the website either.

Aaron Maue wrote:

oj70chevy wrote:

Thanks.
Ralph

Assuming they haven't changed their "kits", all you need to do is solder in the power connector. Super easy. And I'm a complete novice. This was my second attempt at soldering anything. Ever. Worked the first time.

And I agree with George on finding a frequency. Scan through the frequency dial on your car radio yourself to find an open frequency. I didn't have good luck with the website either.

great Aaron. thanks do you recomend I buy it with the RDS or not?

George Simmons wrote:

Timon wrote:
... blind dart-thrower wearing mittens with a big dog biting his ankle during a hurricane.

OMG! ROTFLMAO (I don't know if I got that right, but it's funny)