Light-O-Rama Forums

Control a laser beamer? Creating figures?

baxxter333

Thought I'd give an update on the laser-quest. I was able to get the desired laser results I was after. Using the laser, LOR S3, LOR DMX controller and Pangolin’s laser control hardware/software, here’s what I finally came up with.

http://extra-bold.com/asylum/SMLaser01.wmv

This was the first “demo” I created few months ago. It’s been refined since then to look more “realistic”. This will be used for a haunted house in Utah (Asylum 49). I have a total of 5 different sequences and they consists of the laser animation, a 12 CCR display and some other DMX/LOR lighting effects. It is expected to go live Sept. 15th. FYI: This wasn’t easy.

• Like 1

Cool stuff. Keep it safe!

D.T.

Yes! Let me add this. Creating the animation & syncing it to the the music is one thing. But just as important was the compliance issue.

Since my show wasn't sending laser lights into thin air (It's being stopped by the wall), I don't need the FAA compliance. However, I do still need the FDA (FDA? Really? I didn't know lasers were classified as food or drugs :) ) safety features, which I don't have, yet. So, for those of you contemplanting the purchase of a laser, make sure it has the word "legal" tied to it, and to be extra sure, purchase from a U.S. manufacture. I didn't save much with my "from china" laser. My laser will be 20 feet up in the air, pointing to a wall that's an additional 25ft up, so I'm not too worried about accidentally zapping someone. I just worry about it falling onto someone. Another "safety feature" I had to add. And don't get me started about "weather proofing" a laser. Did I mention that this wasn't easy?

The lasers are awesome!!! Very creative and well done on the artwork. Sent a PM to learn a little more, but my wife is already saying NO! "Stop buying things for this year!" Ha!

I love the idea that your rope light looking images can be set up anywhere without the dangers of falling off a ladder!!! Imagine setting up a program that would outline all of the trim on your house along with the graphics.... The possiblitieis...

I met a guy once that had a powerful projection system hooked up to a photoshop type of paint program. You could take a hand held laser pointer and point at a wall, cameras in his system would track the dot, and then the projection system would project paint there - with many effects like fading glow or dripping paint! It was like digital grafitti but without vandalism. He would put this equipment in a van and drive around to billborards and large buildings with a blank white wall and let party goers draw for a bit.

Makes me wonder how mobile hdbaird's system is for similar party mobility....

• 1 month later...

For the 1999-2000 New Years eve show I was projecting on the side of a very tall building for the graphics part of the show. This building was about 6-7 stories hight with no windows past the 1st floor. I was about one city block away. (It was a city wide celebration).. During set up the night before we played Astoriods on the side of that building in real time. Now THAT was fun!

Thought I'd give an update on the laser-quest. I was able to get the desired laser results I was after. Using the laser, LOR S3, LOR DMX controller and Pangolin’s laser control hardware/software, here’s what I finally came up with.

http://extra-bold.co...m/SMLaser01.wmv

This was the first “demo” I created few months ago. It’s been refined since then to look more “realistic”. This will be used for a haunted house in Utah (Asylum 49). I have a total of 5 different sequences and they consists of the laser animation, a 12 CCR display and some other DMX/LOR lighting effects. It is expected to go live Sept. 15th. FYI: This wasn’t easy.

Nice job on your singing skull!!

2 questions:

1) What is the vertically scrolling pinkish "noise" behind the skull?

2) I assume you drew the skull. I was told that ILDA animations themselves are not compatible with DMX, meaning you can not trigger various saved ILDA animations using DMX. Based on rodman1369's post above it looks pretty clear to me that you can at least call saved patterns, but I am still not sure if it could be used to call up pre-existing animations. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by Greg Young

/Rant On

Its wasnt a show-grade (or even amateur) laser, but we (I) got lit up again tonight, on the way into Baltimore, at 5000'. I saw it sweep upwards and ducked below the window. IT LIT UP THE WHOLE COCKPIT CEILING. It was just too bad I didnt have one of those manual Lav dump airplanes.. :angry: Our passengers saw it too and were stunned.

Without any preaching, you really, really, have to understand that, done at the wrong time, a laser can kill a lot of people. We get blinded, a plane goes down. And if it doesnt go down, then you've quite possibly permanently disabled someone. I absolutely can not stress this strongly enough. If you are seriously contemplating a laser for your show, you -have- to know what's "behind" your show area. Just like shooting a gun, KNOW whats behind your target area. And if you're near an airport, dont even think about it.

A bullet may fall after a mile or more, but a laser beam is like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going and going and going..

/Rant off (for now)

TJ.

Curious. Is this scenario in your training?

(I build the birds, you fly em)

tj

Wow. I knew there were restrictions on lasers pointing toward aircraft and although I am a private pilot I have never seen a laser from in the air. TJ's image of a cockpit is incredible. I thought laser's pointed at aircraft were like not using a cell phone in flight - not really that dangerous. Boy was I wrong.

So let's see. The radio can bring in the FCC who can take your equipment, fine you and send you to jail. Flame cannons can bring local authorities, fines and jail time (we are usually dry and have a burn-ban during Christmas). Fireworks are fairly simple to set off to music but can bring the authorities, fines and jail time. Water fountains 'dancing' to the music WILL bring the authorities, fines and jail time. (We are dry here in Florida. Year-round water restrictions for three years running.) And now I find out how dangerous the lasers are just as I was starting to get interested in them. But No.. Fines, Jail time.

Geeeeesh. I guess my rocket powered Sleigh with flaming exhaust, laser guidance, onboard Christmas music broadcasting and onboard wet snow maker is probably pushing it.

I think I'll just keep to my incans and LEDs.

Seriously, thank you for the warning about lasers. I'm dropping that idea.

...What is it with Pilots and Pirates? ;)

I got a bargain on a slightly used Ion Cannon from a surplus junk dealer in the Hoth System... Don't think I'll tell anybody 'bout it though... :blink:

tj

Edited by tjflory

Since it's rumored that Reindeer can fly, I guess I better turn off my laser rifle sight when I go hunting for them. Or does the FAA only protect them when they are in-flight pulling a Sleigh?

FDA approval, there are too many cheaply made Chinese lasers that output dangerous levels of infared light that is invisible to the human eye that can and or often lead to irreversible eye damage. Many of these laser devices lack the proper light filtration devices that block infared light.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job on your singing skull!!

2 questions:

1) What is the vertically scrolling pinkish "noise" behind the skull?

2) I assume you drew the skull. I was told that ILDA animations themselves are not compatible with DMX, meaning you can not trigger various saved ILDA animations using DMX. Based on rodman1369's post above it looks pretty clear to me that you can at least call saved patterns, but I am still not sure if it could be used to call up pre-existing animations. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Greg

1. The pinkish noise is from the camera. I've noticed this in other recordings (not mine) when doing close-up laser image recordings.

2. Yes, I drew the skull. I wish I knew that I couldn't trigger ILDA animations using DMX then I might not have struggled so hard to make it work. :-).

Triggering the animations via DMX may depend on the laser and/or the way it responds to DMX controls. I've only tried this with 2 different DMX laser interfaces, one internal to the laser (.lda industry standard format) and one External (.lds proprietary format). The external was, by far, the best to use. And for my application, the only way to go. If you don't use DMX to display the "pre-existing animation", how are you displaying it? I've actually uploaded my own animations, along with the "single frame images" and trigger them via DMX control. You can see this by searching the Forums for "Asylum 49". Check out the "Grimm Grinning Ghosts" and "Fire" shows. Both use animations along with single frame images.

Any luck with this? It's something I would like to do next year and, by the looks of it, it will take me that long to figure it out!

This a bit of the usage of a laser in my Halloween display 2012. Projected on front peak of my house under the eves...no beaming into the sky or where anybody could possibly get their eyes into the beams.

https://vimeo.com/52731019

Look around at the other videos for examples of laser usage and other lighting effects...if you dare. ;)

• The topic was locked