Light-O-Rama Forums

Lor programming for ccr

bmedley608

I was hoping to add a 12 ccr tree to my setup for 2012. I plan to also buy more lor controllers.
I was trying to find out how many controllers or channels the 12ccrs will require.

Thank for any direction to read or other help.

bmedley608 wrote:

But how do you send your sequence to the ccr controller and have it stay in sync with the rest of the show

The CCR controllers hook into your Light-O-Rama network, just like any other controller.

Keep in mind that with 12 CCR's you would seriously want to consider two or more networks. All networks would be connected to your computer, and receive the signals just as if you had only one network.

bmedley608 wrote:

Don,

I have one network for the basic lor controllers. Are you saying that it would be better to have the ccrs on at least 2 additional network?

Yes. You would want 12 CCR's on at least 2 networks.

Don,

Do you know of any plans about building the tree frame to hold the CCRs like you see in the videos? I need a good starting place.

I reall appreciate all this help. I know I will be asking more.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Don wrote:

bmedley608 wrote:
Don,

I have one network for the basic lor controllers. Are you saying that it would be better to have the ccrs on at least 2 additional network?

Yes. You would want 12 CCR's on at least 2 networks.

Sorry to sound so dumb, but I also want to add 12 ccr's also and after reading these posts I'm more confused I'm currently running 176 channels of LOR so is this 1 universe ? Then how do I establish the other 2 universes for the 12 ccr's controllers to hook up to??/:?

bmedley608 wrote:

Don,

Do you know of any plans about building the tree frame to hold the CCRs like you see in the videos? I need a good starting place.

I reall appreciate all this help. I know I will be asking more.

Bill

Bill, sorry, I didn't see this reply.

I do not know of any plans. Many others here do, however. They can probably be of more assistance than I.

gmac wrote:

Sorry to sound so dumb, but I also want to add 12 ccr's also and after reading these posts I'm more confused I'm currently running 176 channels of LOR so is this 1 universe ? Then how do I establish the other 2 universes for the 12 ccr's controllers to hook up to??/:?

Personally, I would reserve the term 'universe' for the DMX world. With the LOR protocol, I would prefer to use the term 'network'.

With your current LOR setup, you are running a single LOR Network. Think of a network of everything that is attached to a USB485B. So, to create a 2nd/3rd, etc., network you would 'simply' connect them to a 2nd/3rd USB485 device.

When working with more than one LOR Network (and DMX Universes) would configure them in the LOR Sequence Editor -> Edit -> Preferences -> Network. From there you can configure the network, and what Comm port the USB485 devices are attached to.

I have a 12 ccr tree i used 1/2 square tubing .060 thick wall. cut each tube 16feet 6 inchs long welded a ring on each end made a 6 channel star welded 12 hooks on bottom of star. hook each square tube to hook on star and use tent stake in other end to secure to ground. main pole is 2.000 dia tubing 17 feet tall tubing is spaced 18 inchs apart on ground

Don wrote:

gmac wrote:

Personally, I would reserve the term 'universe' for the DMX world. With the LOR protocol, I would prefer to use the term 'network'.

With your current LOR setup, you are running a single LOR Network. Think of a network of everything that is attached to a USB485B. So, to create a 2nd/3rd, etc., network you would 'simply' connect them to a 2nd/3rd USB485 device.

When working with more than one LOR Network (and DMX Universes) would configure them in the LOR Sequence Editor -> Edit -> Preferences -> Network. From there you can configure the network, and what Comm port the USB485 devices are attached to.
Thank you Don: Those 2 sentences really cleared things up.
So I run my 176 channels as I have been and if understand you corrctly I attach a cat5 cable to another USB485 and run to my 1st ccr controller and daisy chain the next 5 and do the same thing to ccr's 7-12 with no add'l LOR controllers? BTW I run my existing network from my computer using light linkers could this be possible with the CCR's instead of cat5 cable?

gmac wrote:

So I run my 176 channels as I have been and if understand you corrctly I attach a cat5 cable to another USB485 and run to my 1st ccr controller and daisy chain the next 5 and do the same thing to ccr's 7-12 with no add'l LOR controllers?  BTW I run my existing network from my computer using light linkers could this be possible with the CCR's instead of cat5 cable?

The CCR's do not use a 'regular' LOR Controller. They use the CCR controller (which comes with the CCR.) So you are correct in that would attach 2 new USB devices and then run a cable to the CCR controller #1 and #7 (then daisy chain to the other CCR controllers.)

It is possible to use CCR's and ELL's. You will want the USB485B so that you can power the ELL in the house. If memory serves, the CCR controller will power the ELL on the outside. (Thinking back to my testing, and looking at some other resources, I believe this to be correct.)

One thing to keep in mind, though. CCR effects generate many more instructions than your 176 channel LOR Network. If you have a lot of effects that are fades across the length of the strip, or other effects like that, then you will most likely run into issues.

Why? Infinite possibilities yet limited bandwidth to transmit the commands.

Also ... going back to my other post. Think of a LOR Network as everything attached to that USB device. Since you will have 3 USB's at your desk, you will need 3 ELL pairs as well. Each ELL will be on a different network.

• The topic was locked