Light-O-Rama Forums

Attaching CCRs to House

JD321

Hi Guys-

I am going to be attacing 2 CCRs to wood on my house. They will be running sdown the sides of the large arch over the front door (no curves). I am wondering what types of hooks, clips, etc. you all have used.

Thanks for your help,

JD

wont the straps that come with them work with brad nails be careful ccrs and hammers don t mix well

I've come to prefer attaching the ribbons to 3/4" light grey electrical pvc. Our house is light gray so it blends well, almost to the point of invisibility. But that's a bonus. I like the stability the pvc provides and IMO it's a lot easier to attach the pvc pipe - especially to wood - than it is to affix the CCR by itself. CCRs are great, but (in addition to not liking hammers) they don't respond well to excessive moving and flexing.

I'm currently doing a project where I'm attaching CCRs to brick, using #8 x 3/4 screws and the rubber straps that came with the CCR. Wood should be a bit easier - you can get away with #6 x 1/2 or 3/4 screws. There are enough straps to place them every 18" or so...probably even a bit closer.

• 2 weeks later...

JD

They make ty-wrap bases that are screwed or nailed into wood or whatewev the ty-wrap would go through the base loops and around the CCRs. The ty-wrap base can be left all year or painted, or removed.

The typwrap bases can usually be found at electrical stores.

Bill

If you live in warmer climates, I have found using the 3M Command strips with dab of clear silicone sealant works very well on stucco.

Put the Command strip on the stucco, peel the front facing off, and put a dab of silicone on it and push the CCR onto the silicone bead. I use a piece of duct tape to hold it in place for 24 hours...then peel the duct tape off.

After the season, the command strip comes right off, and the silicone peels right off the CCR...easy removal with no mess.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for PVC conduit. I have white wood on my house. I used white PVC and taped with white electrical tape. Works quite well and not very noticeable at all.

• The topic was locked