Light-O-Rama Forums

2011 Christmas on the Farm

T34 Flyer

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed your show. I typically do fast paced, in yo face music for my whole show, as I noticed when the slow stuff started, cars always left... However, I'm sure it works for you and your particular environment! It did give me the idea to have a separate show to start midnight on Christmas Eve only, and go until 4am. Only having the slower, mellow, classic songs like some of the ones in your show. Those songs bring the magic feeling to Christmas Eve, and I think it would bring joy to anyone out late that night. So again, great job, and thanks for the inspirational idea!

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to know how much the balloon cost without contacting them directly, plus I would like to know more about the projector itself. I'm guessing a normal PC based projector playing a video file(s) which is sequenced of course but did you put a computer out there in the container with the projector as well and how did you handle temperature/humidity/weather and etc...? Fantastic idea and I loved what you did. Looking forward to seeing what you do for 2012. This will be my first year out, so will be thinking about your globe idea for next year.

I did receive a quote on the helium 7foot white ballon/sphere, its $295 +shipping for anyone who is curious, assuming this is what the OP used. Projection itself is still a curiosity. Not going to happen for me this year but the OP did an outstanding job there on his farm with the video.

I do think that the balloon has worker great. It looks like a Christmas ornament the way I do it. I purchased the 10 foot version for around $340.00 and picked it up. I poked a hole in it when it was new and it repaired very easy.

Let me describe the projection system if I may. The computer I use to drive LOR has a duel video card, on one monitor is the control and the other video output is full screen video. This is not required but makes life easy especially if you need to control something during the show run. The control monitor is in the house with the computer and radio transmitter. The video card output with the video image flow is (1) VGA cable (2) VGA to cat 5 converter (3) 250 feet of cat 5 (4) cat 5 to VGA converter (5) VGA cable (6) projector. Long VGA cables are a problem avoid them. The projector is a 3500 lumen standard resolution 4:3 ratio. I have built an enclosure that I place 15 feet approx. in front of the balloon, it is water tight but air circulates to allow cooling from the outside. I let it run in the rain with no trouble.

A warning; I can’t use power from the same sub panel for the projector and LOR. With large and sudden light changes LOR drags the 60 cycles down and causes the projector sync pulse to degrade. I plug it in some ware else and next year I am adding an isolation transformer right out by the projector.

I will attach picture if I can find some.

Thanks
Brad

So, no need to use helium, just air which makes sense anyway. I heard that it comes with tie-downs of some sort as well. So the only issue then, you answered, keeping the projector cool in the enclosure. During the winter, its probably not a large issue depending on the climate. The VGA to Cat5 is a very good idea and you are very correct that VGA will not run out that far. Thank You very much for the additional details.

Right you are. I do however; use some trick line from the top grommet of the balloon to keep it from swaying. I tie 4 equally spaced to tie downs or cleats slightly further out then the diameter of the balloon.

• 1 year later...

I do think that the balloon has worker great. It looks like a Christmas ornament the way I do it. I purchased the 10 foot version for around $340.00 and picked it up. I poked a hole in it when it was new and it repaired very easy.

Let me describe the projection system if I may. The computer I use to drive LOR has a duel video card, on one monitor is the control and the other video output is full screen video. This is not required but makes life easy especially if you need to control something during the show run. The control monitor is in the house with the computer and radio transmitter. The video card output with the video image flow is (1) VGA cable (2) VGA to cat 5 converter (3) 250 feet of cat 5 (4) cat 5 to VGA converter (5) VGA cable (6) projector. Long VGA cables are a problem avoid them. The projector is a 3500 lumen standard resolution 4:3 ratio. I have built an enclosure that I place 15 feet approx. in front of the balloon, it is water tight but air circulates to allow cooling from the outside. I let it run in the rain with no trouble.

A warning; I can’t use power from the same sub panel for the projector and LOR. With large and sudden light changes LOR drags the 60 cycles down and causes the projector sync pulse to degrade. I plug it in some ware else and next year I am adding an isolation transformer right out by the projector.

I will attach picture if I can find some.

Thanks

Brad

Brad,

I know this is an old post, but just now getting into the projection stuff, so I do have some questions for you.

I actually tried a long vga cable tonight and found some color issues on the projector. I honestly think it might be the cable, but haven't trouble shot it yet. Your cat5 to vga convertors, what kind did you use? My run might be 100ft that I will eventually use (or more). I believe the cable I used tonight was only 50ft. Kind of worries me since I am already going to have to do some sort of conversion since my only vga port will be used on the monitor (using a laptop in which the screen has gone out :-( . Hadn't planned on buying a new computer, but may have to in order to get the job done.

Your balloon, that is fascinating.  Since this is an old thread, the pictures are gone. What is the balloon made of?  Do you have any links to it and also to your pictures you uploaded.

Also, I am interested in the video editing. I know you mentioned something about a program on the PC forum. Did it do all of the cool tricks you did on yours???

Thanks,

Robert

• 4 weeks later...

Long VGA cables are a pain.  In the early days of projectors we tried long runs of VGA cable at church and experienced much the same as has been described.  For my VGA to CAT 5 I have been using Altinex DA1921SX for 6 years, at home and at church with great success.  I recently purchased a StarTech ST121UTP232 due to its 900 feet range but have not tried it yet. 

One thing to think about is the current draw changes in your electric load center.  All the lights going on and off, you may even notice the drops in you reading lamps while the show is running.  Changes in the current draw will create small changes in phase of the electricity in your home, this can and does affect your projector, it can cause sync pulse drops.  What I have done is install an isolation transformer right at the projector.

My video ball is a 10 foot ball you would find filled with helium flying high above a used car lot.  I got mine at  http://www.advertisingballoons.com/flyingballoons.htm     I will look for the pictures and post them here.

Brad you have had more experience than I with this than I.  I am only running about 80 or so feet of cable. Do you think that might be an issue.  I am possibly adding a temp service at my house to split off some of the load...even though a good bit of the display is going RGB (LED) this year...so hopefully that will help?

Also just got 7 different Digital Juice packages today. Am getting ready to play with these in just a few minutes 8-)

On the load factor I would just try it.  What happened here was; we moved, set up for the new “on the farm” situation and noticed an intermittent sync pulse loss, moved the projector power off the show sub panel (we have an 800 amp main, don’t ask me what my dad was thinking) with some improvement, then added an isolation transformer and have never seen the problem again.  You can find isolation transformers locally and inexpensive, they are heavy however.  Just looked at the Granger and McMaster-Carr sites and both have isolation transformers.  I would say, try it as-is first, then proceed as needed to avoid over doing it.

VGA cable; I have had bad luck every time, from wires pulling out of the connectors to reflected wave issues ( it’s like all 3rd trumpets playing C and one guy is a bit flat, the waves hit each other just right to make you go all Bill Shatner) that cause RGB color lead or lag.  Once again try it and see.  I would test that now however.

• The topic was locked