Light-O-Rama Forums

Disheartened Before My First Show

ThatDJTroy

Hi All!

I'm a newbie to LOR this year, so I'm just getting started. However, I've been on this site since Nov '11 reading all the forums/posts/tips/etc.

I'm disheartened when I've visited some LOR veterans' websites and read they have closed down their displays due to traffic issues, unruly visitors, HOA issues, etc. To think all of that time and effort, as well as the passion for creating something for others to enjoy is done away with really makes me sad. I understand we have no control over certain things -they are what they are. But for others (verterans) who have maintained and expanded their displays over the years, how do they avoid the obstacles I've mentioned?

As most, I live in a small, and very quiet neighborhood. Even before I decided to have an LOR display, I've already questioned possible traffic issues in my neighborhood since I'm at the end of a cul-de-sac in the back of my development. I don't anticipate a flood of visitors for my first simple display. But I also don't want to introduce any mayhem to our peaceful community either.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Let them come.
Though, it sounds like you're in a HOA. That could be an issue. Be sure to check the rules.
If you know your neighbors well, let them know what you are planning.

I'm not in a development, but I do live on a small street and so just a few cars, causes issues for the people that live around me. But never heard any complaints.

Just last week, someone stopped by and told me how much they and their kids loved the display.
That's all I need to hear to keep doing this.

You can control the traffic, just by adjusting your show schedule. This year, I played a song, then kept all of the lights on for 30 seconds, then moved onto the next song. Cars were in & out in under 5 minutes! So, I dropped the "all-on" phase, and they stuck around for 10-15 minutes.

Also, if you have too much traffic, just play 2-3 songs, then repeat. Do a different show every-other night.

I have no experience with HOAs, but I do call my local police and tell them when we're doing opening night, because we have a lot of people show up (I think there were 150 or so in 2011).

I read my HOA rules. The only thing that it says is "Exterior seasonal holiday decorations do not require approval but shall not be installed more than one month before the holiday and must be removed within one month of the Date of the holiday."

Nothing on traffic. I'm on a culdesac too. I don't want to tick my neighbors off. So, I will alter the show if traffic becomes an issue.

I read my HOA rules. The only thing that it says is "Exterior seasonal holiday decorations do not require approval but shall not be installed more than one month before the holiday and must be removed within one month of the Date of the holiday."

Nothing on traffic. I'm on a culdesac too. I don't want to tick my neighbors off. So, I will alter the show if traffic becomes an issue.

Years ago, I had TV coverage by three different TV stations in Dallas. The traffic that ensued forced me to first; persuade the friendly neighbors to wear a relective vest, carry a flashlight and turn my street into a one-way street for a few hours then second; hire a security company to direct traffic; keep people from walking on the neighbors bushes; keep people from stopping in the middle of the street in front of the house with their car lights on; park in neighbors driveways; throw trash on the street, etc. etc.

With media attention, "your little secret" display no longer remains a secret. It becomes a public place in a private setting.

Just like everything in life, good and bad can occur within the same setting.

If you decide to have an extreme display in order to spread holiday cheer across your community and put ear to ear smiles on peoples faces, then you will accomplish that goal immediately. If the goodness inherent in that goal surpasses some not-so-good things you didn't particularly expect, then you will still be pleased.

Best of luck and have fun!

Charles

Don't advertise to the media, and make sure your neighbors like you or at least the idea, invite them to share their concerns with you if they arrive, and then you can do what you can be neighborly.

My display attracts a lot of community attention, but no news yet, which is fine. Everyone has told me in the neighborhood that they love it, and I haven't had any complaints.

Think positive and go for it, don't be discouraged!

This 2012 Christmas season will be the first synced display for us as well, so keep that in mind... This is our approach; right, wrong, or doomed.

Plan for the home & street:
We are on a corner that goes into a culdesac, and there are seven homes on the block/street. After having some talks with my neighbors and the potential problems with traffic during shows, our plan is to have two 20-30 minute shows during weekdays (Sunday through Thursday) and three shows on the weekends. We'll have a thirty minute break in between. There's not a lot of room to manage traffic, but there is a parking lot one block away, and our backup plan is to request folks park there and walk over to watch the display.

Offer some variety:
The two shows will target different audiences. The first show will be aimed at the youngsters with stuff like the Chipmonks and other kid type Christmas songs. The second show will be more of the traditional fare of Christmas songs sprinkled with some upbeat stuff as well. The third show added in on the weekends will be high energy and fast paced dancing lights and screeming guitars.

Consider a contribution to a charity:
Our family wants to contribute to a charity, so we are going to accept canned food donations that will go to our local food pantry. My wife doesn't want to mess with cash donations and felt that a food box would be less apt to be tampered with. While cash is easier to store and easier to "haul", the canned food still won't be bad if we don't let it pile up. One the plus side, the food pantry is less than a mile away from us.

Get the neighbors involved:
My neighbors have expressed a lot of excitement about the light shows. In talking with them and discussing things, they are not only in the loop, but also have a little ownership in the project as well. One neighbor is going to wear a Santa suit and will pass out candy canes to kids during the first show. One neighbor will help in constructing some ot the set pieces. One couple is going to direct traffic when needs arrise.

After the 2012 season, the neighbors and I have agreed to evaluate the plan and fix any issue(s) that need attention. And there has been a little talk about all of us doing synced lighting for all seven homes in 2013, but we'll see how season number 1 goes first.

This is our approach to doing LOR this year. It may or may not work for you (or us!), but maybe it will spawn some thought towards a successful show season. The seasoned vetereans here can probably shed more insight.

Hopefully our show season will go smoothly. Time will tell the tale!

I guess I am in the minority here...

I do the opposite of trying to get people/cars to only stay 5 minutes.

Last year I had three shows...each about 25 minutes in length and all 3 shows had different songs with a 5 minute intermission at the end of each show where the kids/adults had an opportunity to push my 5 interactive buttons that played sound effects with matching dancing lights.

So it was not unusual for my "customers" to stay for two shows...if not all three (so a time period of 60 minutes to 90 minutes).

And I usually had about 10 to 15 cars parked on the street with an additional 15 to 50 people on the sidewalks...

So it all depends what you and the neighborhood can handle...

I do it for the "smiles"...and the more smiles, the better it makes me feel!! :D

I'm with ya Jim. However, I don't do seperate shows...yet.

Last year, my show was 45+ minutes and ran continuously. This year it will be over 60 and will run continuously. Most folks didn't stay for the entire show, but they returned at different times on other nights to hear different songs.

Charles Belcher wrote:

If you decide to have an extreme display in order to spread holiday cheer across your community and put ear to ear smiles on peoples faces, then you will accomplish that goal immediately. If the goodness inherent in that goal surpasses some not-so-good things you didn't particularly expect, then you will still be pleased.

Charles

Well said!

Hey Jim, I would love to see the push button interactive set up you have. I might have to drive over there this year and check it out. (You use LOR for the interactive display?)

As far as traffic is concerned last, if memory serves I believe we averaged about 120 cars a night except on Christmas eve there were about 50+ cars lined up three blocks past our house non stop for about 90 minutes. Fortunately most of my neighbors where not home so I didn't hear of any issues.

My moto, go BIG and if something comes up find a quick fix and then go BIGGER.

jimswinder wrote:

I guess I am in the minority here...

No, I'm with you. My show was over an hour long, I had 20+ songs and many people would stay for long periods of time, we never had an issue with traffic blocking any of the street, or lining up. When we looked out the window there were usually 2-5 cars watching. We loved it!

Hate to be contrary, but... there are people who lament the opposite problem. Not enough traffic. You dont know which of these two situations you will have yet. Just having an animated show does not mean it will be irresistible to all and you will be overrun with traffic.

I am five years in, live in a cul-de-sac, have a good following, and have been on local tv for both my Christmas and Halloween shows. My local tv spot was shown three times on Christmas eve and did increase traffic for the remainder of that season.

My strategy is not to limit viewing times at all. I start before dark 4:30pm and there is never anyone here. It runs a continuous loop till 10 or 11 and later if there are people here. I just extend it if there are still cars. Several times I have started it up due to a car parked out there in the dark after midnight.

If everyone knows they must be there at 7pm or 8pm... you will get a log jam at those times. Then they are close enough together that people wait for the second show. My visitors tell me all the time they stop on the way home from picking kids before dinner and then come back later for another song. A lot of repeat comings and goings and very few times where it was jammed up because they can come anytime.

Also I have a song selector program I use. Any guest can bump their song to the next to be played so they don't have to wait through songs they don't want to hear and can leave when they are satisfied.

Include a be courteous to the neighbors blurb in your announcements. Even if guest dont listen, the neighbors will hear it and know you are trying to prevent problems.

Troy Mann wrote:

Hey Jim, I would love to see the push button interactive set up you have. I might have to drive over there this year and check it out. (You use LOR for the interactive display?)

yes, I use LOR for the interactive buttons...very easy to set up

Sounds like a winter trip to Port Angeles is needed!!!

My house is at the beginning of a caldesac and my display is mainly in my side yard facing the school yard across the street. My display doesn't bother the neighbors and everyone likes the lights. I invite all my neighbors over for cookies and hot chocolate for the first show. When someone mentions I should be on the news, I politely say NO. The show is for family, friends and neighbors and local community, I definately don't want the Madison nuts coming down to my show.

A number of the displays I read about closed down simply because they "tired" of doing it, or as other fellows said "my heart isn't in it" any longer.

Others can do this & keep on doing this for a number of years. I for one get tired of doing certain things after a certain number of years. There are things in life you will stick too, & there are things that you will try for a shorter period of time.

I know I was thinking of giving it a break for the 2012 season & come back in 2013, but then I came across some ideas by searching the internet that I would like to put into the show. Things you rarely see in a display, or maybe it died out but still has a chance to "breath" again....kinda like fashion. Us older folks can remember flair & bell bottom pants, you know those things that some folks are sometimes wearing now.

As far as traffic goes for me, that has never been an issue for me since I moved here in 2000. Static or musical I get the same amount of vehicles for the most part. This past season saw more cars & more people on foot but the weather helped there too.

I can play short songs or long songs & no one stays for more than 3 songs on the avg. ........so I add 1 short song then 4 full songs, then 1 short song & so on.

Anyhow, if I close down the musical aspect of the show that is because "my heart is not in it anymore" but I will keep decorating.

Guest Don Gillespie

I think what people get tired of is directing traffic, I spent 28 days outside every night from 5 untill 10 directing traffic, three rows of cars, limos and buses, for the most part they are all curtious it is the 1 to 2 % that are morons, they don't care if they block other peoples view, so making sure the pedestrians are safe and there are no accidents is my #1 priority, each year the traffic has increased for me, would I like less traffic you bet, is that going to happen not a chance, I do this because it makes me happy, and all the other people that come to see my display get to forget about thier problems even it is for only a few minutes.

I spent 28 days outside every night from 5 untill 10 directing traffic I do this because it makes me happy, and all the other people that come to see my display get to forget about thier problems even it is for only a few minutes.

+100!!!

I'm with Don...it's a mere 28 days out of 365!!

Yeah I know...the other 337 days we are STILL working on it!! LOL

But isn't it always been a labor of love for us??

Media can be alot of fun, and I'm as much of a media whore as anyone, but it easily gets out of control. My first year we had some media coverage and we went from a few cars at a time to a line of cars a half mile long with people waiting 1-2 hours to see the show. We got through the rest of the season by shortening the show to just WiW and then a 30 second, dark drop sequence to move people along. Neighbors weren't too happy about it.

So last year we decided to have the lights on static, then a few times a night, almost at random we would kick off a 20-30 minute show. Since no one knew when it would start there were no lines. As soon as they started though there were would be a dozen cars. Figure they must've been hiding just out of sight or something.

Then last year one of the local papers had a story and that same day the traffic picked up dramatically and strangers were calling the house to get us to turn the lights on. We explained via our radio that we were running the music sporadically in order to control traffic and most people understood.

It was all worth it when I heard neighbors say the traffic was so much better this year than last year. We like sharing the lights and it's a thrill to see a ton of people, but it isn't fair to your neighbors to invite the whole city to your street.

So for now on we avoid the local news.