Light-O-Rama Forums

hod you install your led strips in silicon tubing?

dito

ok i was planning on gettingsome rgb strips, IP68, yada yada.. but with the weatherproof/silicone tubing. how do you guys install this on the house/wall/wood, etc? are there some brackets or clamps that hold the tubing in place? a description, links and/or photos would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

I use 25mm electrical conduit to hold my strip in place, i have everything cut to size with plugs, makes it quick and easy to put up and pull down and store. It also ensures that a nice straight line is achieved. Just use some wire to just make up some hooks to hold it all in place

Attached files 311610=17037-gutter.png

There are also clips for the tubing to hold it as well:

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/210128048-459154291/Silicon-clip-for-fixing-led-strip-8mm-10mm-12mm-optional.html

I personally would agree with Eddy though that the condiut method he uses does provide a great way to keep the strip straight and helps protect it as well.

Or you could make a wood frame and attach the strip with the clips to the wood.
Ray also has the end caps for the tubing as well:

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/210128048-459153462/Silicon-end-cap-8mm-10mm-12mm-optional.html

for an added measure of protection.

Just be sure to use a safe form of silicone to seal things and not some of the acetic stuff that will cause corrosion on electrical connections.

beeiilll wrote:

Just be sure to use a safe form of silicone to seal things and not some of the acetic stuff that will cause corrosion on electrical connections.

Great point, the silicone must be neutral cure, non corrosive. So make sure the silicone you get has this written on the packaging, generally bathroom silicone is not but roofing silicone is

edvas69 wrote:

beeiilll wrote:

Great point, the silicone must be neutral cure, non corrosive. So make sure the silicone you get has this written on the packaging, generally bathroom silicone is not but roofing silicone is

Eddy,
Just as an FYI for you. Here in the US, not all the silicones will have the "neutral cure" spelled out on them. So sometimes you really have to research the item to be sure it is safe to use around electrical.
I have been burned on some before (I am an electrician) and got ahold of some that was supposed to be safe, but turned out to be very acetic.
The GE brand of silicone is what a lot of people use and that has both kinds to it. There can be a big difference between the regular GE stuff and the GE II types.

But you can find some other brands that have the label of netural cure to them.
If I get some time soon I will try to put together a list for you and the forums.

Either way anyone who has found a brand name of silicone that is safe for use around electrical parts should post the name and/or a link to it for others.