Light-O-Rama Forums

Trouble with sequence editor

sirrob28

Hi guys, newbie here. Downloaded the advanced version and having a lot of fun, almost completed my first song. Getting many tips from here which is great. I am having one problem I can't figure out. When editing the sequence I always have to start from the beginning of the song when editing a sequence. No matter what I do it always starts from the beginning. I tap the space bar, the song starts over from the beginning even if my screen is the the middle of the sequence. I go to "play" in the tool bar and select "visible screen" and the screen stays but the music always starts from the beginning. Does anyone have any ideas what i am doing wrong? Any advice would be great!

Thanks
Rob

• 2 weeks later...

i start the sequence then stop if go to where you want to start use the del or off key point to a open box click on it then hit your space bar will start from there

From the top of the menu area, select "Play" then select "Play Range" then select "Play From". This will allow you to pick any cell location and your playing will start from there. Be careful to not have a turn on or turn off command or any other command set in place otherwise you'll be fixing lots of little things. Just use the arrow select tool then pick the location to play from.

Thanks for the info guys. All that did not work. I did however figure out why. I had to change the music from a mp3 file to a wave file. It was pretty easy using Itunes. Once I did that, everything worked great! Thank God,lol, I am sure more questions will pop up during this fun trip down Christmas light lane,lol

I'm using all MP3 files with no problems using the sequencer. Are you sure your files were formal MP3's? I'm certainly no expert on all this as I'm still a newbie but MP3's do work for me.

beats the heck out of me,lol. I am using the songs off of itunes, its no big deal, its very easy to change them to wave files. All i know is that if I don't do that nothing works and the song would always start from the beginning no mater what I did, and trust me I tried everything,lol

I have iTunes but I don't use it to convert files from WAV or CDA to MP3's. I use Nero or even the Windows Media player to do it for me. iTunes will encrypt files within its structure but not sure about converting out of it. If you can, look at the file name extension to insure it says something like "songname.mp3"

This is my fifth year of using mp3 files exclusively (I like the smaller file size as compared to .wav files) and I've had no issues at all. If you're using mp3, make sure you convert them to constant bit rate. Variable bit rate files will cause all sorts of problems.

George Simmons wrote:

This is my fifth year of using mp3 files exclusively (I like the smaller file size as compared to .wav files) and I've had no issues at all.  If you're using mp3, make sure you convert them to constant bit rate.  Variable bit rate files will cause all sorts of problems.

How do I find the bit rate for my mp3s?

It depends on the OS being used but for Windows 7, just right click on the file, select properties, then details.

dgrant wrote:

It depends on the OS being used but for Windows 7, just right click on the file, select properties, then details.

Sorry, I asked the wrong question. How do I find out if my bit rate is constant or variable?

You can use audacity to see if it is CBR or VBR. I did WAV's my first year, but they are too big. All the cool kids are using MP3's.

BTW, I sequenced all of Thriller before figuring out the Play From option. It took a while ;)

eurbani wrote:

Sorry, I asked the wrong question. How do I find out if my bit rate is constant or variable?

Same answer as above:

George Simmons wrote:

I am using Windows 7. I only see one property for bit rate. I see the property "bit rate". That property lists the bit rate (192kbbs, 128kbbs...) Which property is this (bit rate type?) listed under?