Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR spacing

ugopj

For the folks who have a tree with 12 CCR's: what is the distance between the ribbons, at the bottom of the tree?

Thanks.

I too would like to hear this answer. I am sure you can make it anything you want. I would also like to know which if any pixels they lined up. Did you make them even at the bottom and end up with about a 10 inch difference at the top? Did you line up the 25 th pixels and have the outside ribbons shorter at both the top and bottom. By my calculations, you loose about 10 inches on the outside ribbon compared to the center ribbons on a tree with a 10 ft. wide base. I hope you understand the question........I think I am speaking of the hypotenuse of a triangle.

Steve

I beleive Brian's told me his were 12" in his video...

I made mine 6" apart at the bottom...

Are you guys using EMT to fasten them to? If so, how are you fastening them at the top of the tree to where they don't move?

WayneKremer wrote:

Are you guys using EMT to fasten them to? If so, how are you fastening them at the top of the tree to where they don't move?
Last year I just used some nylon strapping (like on backpacks) since it was nice and flat...big mistake when the wind kicked up.

This year I plan on attaching them to 3/4" PVC and have some strong but thin wire rope go thru the PVC to hold them in place and at the bottom of the tree the PVC will go into some secured 3/4" fittings (like "T"s) so they can't move...

• 4 months later...

WayneKremer wrote: Last year I just used some nylon strapping (like on backpacks) since it was nice and flat...big mistake when the wind kicked up.

This year I plan on attaching them to 3/4" PVC and have some strong but thin wire rope go thru the PVC to hold them in place and at the bottom of the tree the PVC will go into some secured 3/4" fittings (like "T"s) so they can't move...

100% agree with Jim on this. I too used nylon strapping for mine and was blown away by the movement of the strips during 20-25mph gusts here in OK. Also had to use dow rods to add some stability in spacing as a work-around to get through the season. Will be moving to PVC pipe setup this year. Also plan to move the tree closer to the house to help shield against wind. The frame of my tree is made from 1/2 steel rod. You can see a picture of the tree here. http://stonechristmaslights.com/

Last year I setup a 12 CCR tree with 12" spacing at the bottom. Using zipties I strapped each CCR to a 1/2" EMT conduit. Since the conduit was only 10' in length I used two EMT's for each CCR. I combined the two 1/2" EMT conduits by inserting an 24" wooden dowel in between two equal lenghts of 1/2" EMT so there would not be any seams at the connection point and this helped stablize the long EMT pipe so it wouldn't sag at the seam. I used two set screws to attach each EMT to the dowel (have the set screws aligned so it does not impede strapping the CCR to the EMT later). I set the top of each CCR even with the first pixel and attached to a frame I built. The bottoms of the EMT's were attached to the rain gutter. Note the CCR's ended at different lengths due to the 12" spacing at the bottom, however, I ran each EMT at different lengths (longer than the CCR's) to reach the gutter. At the bottom, strapped the EMT's to a PVC pipe (via zipties) that ran inside the gutter on top of the spikes that hold the gutter to the house. Weight was fine on the gutter as the weight of the EMT pipes were distributed across a long length of the gutter at the bottom. I also had no problem with weather or wind and the setup was very very stable. Lessons learned - I would use a 36" dowel instead of a 24" dowel as the longer dowel would result in even less of a "sag" on the EMT joint. It wasn't noticeable, but I'm just anal about those things. Also, would use stainless steel set screws to attach the EMT to the dowels. Had no problems so using the same setup just replacing the set screws with stainless steel. The video shows the 12 CCRs using SuperstarLights sequence http://vimeo.com/33006812. You can see the bottom doesn't line up but it worked fine. Aloha.

• The topic was locked