Light-O-Rama Forums

Sorry for Party Rockin' Music Video

CLD Kevin

Not sure if this exactly fits in this category of “Other Holiday Display”. It does if you minus the “Holiday”. Admin move post if needed.

I posted last month that I was working on a project. LMFAO contacted me and asked if I would create the lighting effects for their new music video “Sorry for Party Rockin”. At first I thought absolutely, but then I was told I had 2 days before filming starts...huh?? How the “bleep” am I going to program and setup lighting in 2 days from scratch?? Wow...never heard of planning? Everything is last minute.

Actually it was 3 days if you count the day they asked me. I drove to Universal Studios that days and checked out the location. I took measurements and they sent me a picture of what the “Party Rock” house is going to look like. When I got home, I started looking on how I was going to program. Let me tell you...I did it in 4 hrs for the whole song. How you ask...INSTANT SEQUENCE. That was the best option for the amount of time given. I was still on S2, so I upgrades to S3 and also SS. The only reason it took me 4 hrs was because I spend half the time learning the SS and all the different effects the Instant Sequencer created. I went through many different effects until I found the ones I like. I used 6 CCRs, dumb RGB strips, some floods and a whole lotta luck.

My brother-in-law and myself work several hours for the next 2 days (approx 16hr each) and completed the install an hour before filming started. I had no time to test anything. Just plug and go and hope for the best. Well luck wasn’t on my side as one of my CCR controllers wasn’t working and a strip was also having some issues. I had no backup as I didn’t have time to get any. The director was understanding and said they would film again the next day and hopefully work the Hollywood magic. But they wanted me to get replacements. The next day I got some from WOW Lighting which is 30 mins from me. Big Thank You to WOW Lighting for coming through. Installed the replacement and everything worked perfect with plenty of time to test it about 20 times (just wanted to make sure).

I outline the house with the 6 CCRs and used the dumb RGB strips at the roof center (triangle shape around the mouth picture), some edges and front railing. Also outline the robot head and floods in the eyes, tree and wash parts of the outside house. The robot eyes is suppose to have 3 red lights vertical, but they had me use 2 red floods horizontal?? I did what I was told. Also most of the filming of my light effects was from day 1 and not day 2 so you can tell (at least I can tell) the light sections of the 2 CCRs missing. Oh well, so much for “Hollywood Magic”.

Here is a video of what I created. Not everything in the visualize screen was used. I also wanted to add pixel strings to the bushes and trees, but didn’t have time to install.

Here is LMFAO new music video.

Sorry, should have mentioned this. Not the most kid friendly song. Not real bad, but if your a youngster...please mute the speakers or don't watch.

Great job Cracker!!!

I guess I'll just have to live out my fantasy of being involved in a music video thru you!!! LOL

jimswinder wrote:

And it's great they gave you a cameo at the end...

you looked good with that Turtle Shell Backpack!!   :P

LOL :P:D Turtle Power!

It was freezing out there and the girls were shivering between takes. You would too wearing painted on clothes.

Pretty neat gig.
Looked for the hidden LOR plug in video, never found it, you must of did pretty good job in hiding it :P
Keep up the ideas

Cracker wrote:

Sorry, should have mentioned this. Not the most kid friendly song. Not real bad, but if your a youngster...please mute the speakers or don't watch.

Yeah I figured that out about 10 seconds in. Shouldn't have been surprised knowing the band lol. Great job! You always wow us with something cool and new.

• 2 months later...

Cracker does it again! :P

BTW: if anyone really wants to use the song in their display, you can actually find somewhat clean copies on YouTube {just not 100% clean, but a very good start}, as well as instrumental versions.

I will use an instrumental version of a song if the sung lyrics ARE NOT for younger folks, you know children under the age of 15.

It's really nice when you can find an instrumental version to use for your display as opposed to the original with the adult themed words being sung in it.

Was that *MY* visualizer? My baby? He's all growed up! It's humbling to think that I what I wrote had even a small part in you getting that gig.

I feel warm and fuzzy inside. Yea, the money is nice being a developer but I really like it when what I create helps others too.

Good job!

DevMike wrote:

Was that *MY* visualizer? My baby? He's all growed up! It's humbling to think that I what I wrote had even a small part in you getting that gig.

I feel warm and fuzzy inside. Yea, the money is nice being a developer but I really like it when what I create helps others too.

Good job!

The vizualizer pretty much sealed the deal. After I email the group the clip...thier responce to all involved was "I want this...make it happen". Thanks for making it easier to sell!!

• 1 month later...