Light-O-Rama Forums

rgb 50/50 led strips

sysco

I have a whole bunch of the strip that Bill linked to above and I'm very pleased with them. The strip itself is BRG but the wires coming out the end have all been color coded correctly for every strip I've gotten from that seller so far. Being that he is just the seller and not the manufacturer this could of course chang at any time. There is a thread in the DMX section of this forum titled "double sided rgb strips" that has more details on this strip and some test I've done with them. Sorry I would link you to it directly but I'm on my mobil and can't open more than one browser window. Maybe Bill will be kind enough to link it to you. Anyway, Good Luck!

harrison0550 wrote:

I have a whole bunch of the strip that Bill linked to above and I'm very pleased with them. The strip itself is BRG but the wires coming out the end have all been color coded correctly for every strip I've gotten from that seller so far. Being that he is just the seller and not the manufacturer this could of course chang at any time. There is a thread in the DMX section of this forum titled "double sided rgb strips" that has more details on this strip and some test I've done with them. Sorry I would link you to it directly but I'm on my mobil and can't open more than one browser window. Maybe Bill will be kind enough to link it to you. Anyway, Good Luck!

Are these coated or slipped inside a sleeve for waterproofing?

nsbear23 wrote:

Hello All. I'm as green as green can be...

I haven't bought anything (No controlers or lights), just a lot of reading, but, was wondering if this LED strip would work?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/150758558174?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Thanks,
Chris

Yes it would. I have bought from that seller. The controller is useless though. Although I use the ones I get for testing purposes.

SteveMaris wrote:

nsbear23 wrote:
Hello All. I'm as green as green can be...

I haven't bought anything (No controlers or lights), just a lot of reading, but, was wondering if this LED strip would work?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/150758558174?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Thanks,
Chris

Yes it would. I have bought from that seller. The controller is useless though. Although I use the ones I get for testing purposes.

Are these strips the 5050 style?
In the listing under features it says:
LED Type: High Quality 3528 SMD LED

Just wanting to be sure.

It appears to be your typical copy and paste mistake which are very common with chinese and ebay vendors.Tthe main name of the item in the listing is a 5050 so if its anything else then its false advertising.

Very true Eddy.
About the same as you have to take any photos with a grain of salt as they say.
Now days it is pretty tough to be sure that what you see and is described is the actual item that you will get!

With ebay, don't be afraid to ask questions, every vendor I dealt with was very cooperative. Ask about polarity and voltage if you are not sure. I use these LED light strips and they work very well. Also note that some waterproof strips can peel if bent too sharply.

EQman wrote:

Is anyone using cat5 cable to run their 5050 LED RGB strips with the LOR DC controller.

I will be. 4 pairs.

SteveMaris wrote:

I will be. 4 pairs.

I used Cat5 for my Rainbow Floods, which electrically is nearly the same.

Instead of using each Cat5 pair as a wire, I would advise you to wire it like the Rainbow Flood method, which is to use 1 pair for each color. This means a single wire for each cathode, and 3 wires in parallel for the common anode.

Why? Because the voltage drop will be the same as the 4-pair method (for white, all on), but the individual colors will not affect each other as much. For example, when using the 4-pair method, if green is on, it will dim a little when red is also turned on, depending on the length of the cable. Using the "1 pair for each color" method, the green will be less affected by the red.

Let me know if you want the mathematics I used to come to this conclusion.

nsbear23,

I assume you have read this thread. And I assume you have seen that there is what is called common cathode and common anode? So, from reading above, which do you need to work with the LOR D.C. Board? Then going to that link and reading the details what type of strip is this? Common cathode or anode? Does this answer your question or do you have more questions?

• 4 weeks later...

I think I understand the 5050 on RGB ribbons mean dumb. But what's the number for CCR's. In other words, whats the number for smart ribbons?

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

So this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/303267479-Digital-LED-Light-Strip-2-DC5V-input-30leds-m-with-1606-IC-waterproof-with-Over-100-wholesalers.html

Would be a steal for Smart Ribbons? Right? Or is this not right? But its 1606, not 5050. Is that ok?

No sir not a steal. If you read the description the price listed is for 1 meter and it comes in 5 meter rolls so multiply 5X13.98 and that is your ribbon cost. Also I think you've gotten I bit mixed up on what 5050 LEDs are. 50/50 stands for the size of the led. The other numbers such as 1606, 2801, etc stand for the type of chip that is placed on the strip to control them. Look closely at a dumb strip there is no chip on it. Then look at a "smart" strip and you will see the little black chips every few inches.

As Eddy pointed outin post #29, you have to be VERY careful with this stuff when looking at the Chinese manufacturers pages (well really with any pages even US) with this stuff!
The information may or may not be correct on the listings, so you have to contact the vendor and make sure of what you are getting.
It is way too easy to get the wrong item if you are not careful. Always do a "double take" on this stuff or see if anyone has purchaes some of an item before to be certain of what you are getting.