Light-O-Rama Forums

rgb 50/50 led strips

sysco

looking to buy rgb 50/50 led strips i have bein told that they are cathode and annode with the cathode being positive the black wire and the annode being negative 3 wires is this right thank you Blair

Common anode = a common shared return + wire

Common Cathode = a common shared - return wire

Controllers used within our hobby are designed to work with common anode +, this is because its cheaper and more efficient to switch the -

So all dumb strip you look for must be common anode +

they have the same number of wires, its just the common +/- orientation that has changed.

sysco wrote:

looking to buy rgb 50/50 led strips i have bein told that they are cathode and annode with the cathode being positive the black wire and the annode being negative 3 wires is this right thank you Blair

I guess the question i'm asking is can i use these rgb strips using lor:?:?:?:?:?

sysco wrote:

sysco wrote:

I guess the question i'm asking is can i use these rgb strips using lor:?:?:?:?:?

If they are common ANNODE then yes. From your description above I have no idea what you are trying to describe. Perhaps your terminology is backwards, just not sure.

sysco wrote:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320846817888&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:1123

Can you tell me if these will work. My explanation is not very clear because i don't have a clue on what i'm doing thank you Blair

Have no idea because I couldn't find the answer in the sellers product description. Most vendors that sell to lighting people like us specify common anode or common cathode.

This guy possibly is not targeting his product to our needs. Probably the regular consumer market.

Just wondering, why do you want ones that come with a remote control, what will you do with the remote?

I would expect this to be common anode, but assumption are what can get us in trouble, so best way is to contact the vendor and ask. Not a bad price at all, i wonder what the quality will be like.

Well i thought i could use these by hooking them up to lor using dmx and a dc board plus an enttec pro. I don't want to spend a fortune on strips and then end up frying them when i don't know what i'm doing any ideas thank you Blair

edvas69 wrote:

I would expect this to be common anode, but assumption are what can get us in trouble, so best way is to contact the vendor and ask. Not a bad price at all, i wonder what the quality will be like.

Well i ordered one roll 2 weeks ago to see what they are like but i didn't know anything about common anode at the time would this statement be rigt common anode 1 negative wire and 3 power wires thank you Blair

sysco wrote:

edvas69 wrote:

Well i ordered one roll 2 weeks ago to see what they are like but i didn't know anything about common anode at the time would this statement be rigt common anode 1 negative wire and 3 power wires thank you Blair

Common anode is one positive wire and 3 negative wires

sysco wrote:

Well i thought i could use these by hooking them up to lor using dmx and a dc board plus an enttec pro. I don't want to spend a fortune on strips and then end up frying them when i don't know what i'm doing any ideas thank you Blair

You wont fry them, all that will hapen is they wont work.

LEDs only conduct current 1 way so if the polarity is wrong then it wont work.

So just hook them up to the power supply directly, the coloured wires goto the ground - of the power supply and the common black goes to the + side, if it works then great they are common anode, if it doesnt then you have common cathode and by reversing these connections will confirm that.

I emailed him last night and this is what he sent me

Thanks for your message.
We are pleased to inform you that the black wire is the cathode,the other three wires is annode.
Thanks,

thank you Blair

sysco wrote:

I emailed him last night and this is what he sent me

Thanks for your message.
We are pleased to inform you that the black wire is the cathode,the other three wires is annode.
Thanks,

thank you Blair

Doesn't sound very promising from that description.

Hi Blair

Well I can tell you that these strips are common anode and work fine with the LOR CMB-16 controller since I presently have 2 reels of them and they are working great.

I bought mine from this vendor as have a few other people on here so I would think that these would work for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5050-RGB-LED-STRIPS-flexible-tape-lights-5m-30led-m-150leds-waterproof-IP65-/320852908248?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6495896790573624223

beeiilll wrote:

Hi Blair

Well I can tell you that these strips are common anode and work fine with the LOR CMB-16 controller since I presently have 2 reels of them and they are working great.

I bought mine from this vendor as have a few other people on here so I would think that these would work for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5050-RGB-LED-STRIPS-flexible-tape-lights-5m-30led-m-150leds-waterproof-IP65-/320852908248?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6495896790573624223

Also keep in mind that the strip above comes wired as +BRG
Not +RGB. Not a big deal, but when you hook it up to a dc board, you will want the order correct.

Thanks Steve,

Guess I missed the "forest for the trees" on that point - LOL.

I just clipped off the little plug that came on the strip and peeled the wires back so that I could hook it up to my CMB-16 to test and did not even think to "remember to tell others" about checking the RGB order on the strip when you hook it up! DOH !!!

Easy to get excited and in a hurry to play with this new stuff I guess.
Yes, anyone needs to pay attention to the hookup for things, but this IS DIY stuff and you are supposed to look twice at things before jumping.
Other strips from other vendors/sources may or may not be in the correct order for hooking them up.
I am going to take the little connector off my strips anyway and solder a weatherproof 4 pin connector onto the strip to make things easier for me to set up and tear down as well as having to cut the strips to length for my windows.

I get overly anal about making things look neat as well as being as weather protected as possible and easy to work with but then again don't we all to a degree.