Light-O-Rama Forums

Ready to Buy- have nothing, need everything

mgrant8163

Looking back now I see I was SUNK from the start.. All in and every year adding more. Plenty of yard to work with so wife will get mad again this year.. Take advice from everyone in here and go slow. Add a little each year if not you will have 30k in it so quick it would make your head spin. Now I can say it was worth the pain and hours when you fire it off with a crowd waiting and see all the smiles !! Keeps me doing it another year.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mgrant8163

• dgrant

• jimswinder

• TJ Hvasta

dgrant wrote:

I don't have an extra channel to toggle the start of the first show manually therefore inviting whomever to see the beginning but oh well...timing it to start at a particular time will work too.

dgrant, you don't need an extra channel to toggle the show to start. LOR controllers have inputs on them that you can use for that purpose, assuming you have the advanced license version of the software. Depending upon whether you have the PC version or the Showtime controller, you have either 2 or 3 inputs to use, respectively.

I'm going from memory, and am a little tired, so your best bet is to check out the user's guide for the hardware to see how to wire it up. The software user's manual will tell you how to change the options for your show to have it wait for a trigger to start the show. Look in the sections that describe the show editor and interactive shows.

This is exactly what I did my first show of my first year (last year) and it worked great. Super simple too. Just connect a switch across a couple pins on the controller board, set up the show options correctly when building your show in the show builder, and then press the button when you're ready. For me, I had the show start "running" at 5:15, hoping for a 5:30 button press, but knowing it would likely be later by the time everyone showed up. At 5:15, the scheduler started the show which was set to do nothing until I pressed the button. I pressed the button at 5:40 and the show came to life.

I've sequenced 18 tunes so they are ready

Oh, and by the way... 18 sequences already finished? I don't know how you did it, but it takes me a solid month to do a song. Working on it here and there, of course, but usually 10 - 15 hours / song. And haven't started on any for next year yet.

Good luck.

asetti wrote:

I would say.....go medium. Based on what I have seen, I thought anything less than 4 controllers (64 channels) was too small.

For me with a managable timeline was:

2x 8 channel (miniMega Tree)

4 Leaping arches with 8 channels on the same controller (so uses 8 channels)

8 Mini Trees

That right there is 2 controllers.

Then the rest of the lights I already put up every Christmas would be another 32 channels (2 controllers).

But 4 controllers = $325 for the first one with SW, HW, and shipping.

Then $250 (fully assembled) or $205 (DIY) plus S&H.

So just around $1000 for the LoR HW for 4 channels.

Now add in PVC, bolts, wire frames etc I have spent about $100 for the above mentioned props.

Also, most of the sequences you can find out there for free are at least 32-64 channels.

I posted above just to give you a scale of what $500 will get you :-)

Also you should think about putting in an electrical supply subpanel or run dedicated 15 amp outlets from your existing breaker (if you have room).

I put in a 12 slot 125 Amp subpannel for about $150. I did all the work myself, so this is just materials. If you have mostly LEDs this should be less of a problem, but I have about 50/50 so i needed it.

If I can't do a deal for an entire display at a reasonable price then I might have to go new. If I go new I'll probably "go medium" as you suggested. I too feel that less than 4 controllers is a bit small, at least it is for my yard. The LOR starter kit with 4 controllers might be a way to go when it goes on sale and then start building props.

I've historically had power issues with just running the house and to my outdoor plugs. So I KNOW that I'll have to get someone out that knows what they are doing to evaluate and add breakers, etc.

Thanks for your input,

Mike

trafficman wrote:

Looking back now I see I was SUNK from the start.. All in and every year adding more. Plenty of yard to work with so wife will get mad again this year.. Take advice from everyone in here and go slow. Add a little each year if not you will have 30k in it so quick it would make your head spin. Now I can say it was worth the pain and hours when you fire it off with a crowd waiting and see all the smiles !! Keeps me doing it another year.

Thanks Traffic. I AM starting to second guess myself...both from the $$ and the time needed to do this right. I have so many ideas in my head that probably need to stay there!

Anyone here every PAY people to help set up their displays? I'm already thinking of a temp agency that can send a crew over...LOL

Mike

Great Idea.. Never used a temp crew !! Good Luck and let me know when you post a few of the video's!! Here is my little show so I am not to good with a camera.

Jeff

I tried to use a temp agency to help with setup of the display. It was a company that hires out daily workers. Did not work out all that good for me.

mgrant8163 wrote:

Anyone here every PAY people to help set up their displays? I'm already thinking of a temp agency that can send a crew over...LOL
Plenty of help to be found around any Home Depot / Lowes parking lot... :cool:

TJ Hvasta wrote:

There are many that need to remember that last sentence..

Amen to that!!

TJ, I love the video of your view out the office window!

Way cool.

That really made me flash back to my military days when I used to fly all over the place. I wish I had stayed in the aircraft business but then I would only be on the ground fixing things most of the time I guess.
I sure do miss the ole days of flying and the beauty it holds.
You are lucky to have a good job that lets you see different places along with the beauty of flying and you dog - you get paid to do it!!

Nice and yes I'm jealous. HA

LightORamaDan wrote:

We will have both sales this year. Because of production delays last year some things ordered then are just now coming in so we will have product for the inventory reduction sale and we will have our regular Summer Sale with no limits on quantities.

Dan

Hey Dan,

I heard a rumor you guys were going to begin introducing dumb RGB LED strips....is that true? Would they be available for the March sale ?

DLTSLC wrote:

Hey Dan,

I heard a rumor you guys were going to begin introducing dumb RGB LED strips....is that true? Would they be available for the March sale ?

Keeping in mind I get zero information about is coming out ... I've not heard this rumor. Might I ask where you heard it from?

I spoke with Dan from LoR the about 2 weeks ago. He said they're trying to find a solid product to go with their already available DC controllers. I think they realize they're losing out on people that want non-digital strip lighting as they have to order from AliExpress or somewhere else and gamble on the quality.

Ah ... I see said the blind man. Given the source of the information, I'd rate it higher than a rumor.

Then again, never know what will happen.

trafficman wrote:

Great Idea.. Never used a temp crew !! Good Luck and let me know when you post a few of the video's!! Here is my little show so I am not to good with a camera. http://vimeo.com/33548226

Jeff

Awesome show Traffic. Love the Barry White sections.

For some reason I thought I could see my black lab tangled up in the lights on those grassy areas but I'm not sure...LOL:shock:

LightORamaDan wrote:

Inventory clearance will most likely be some time in the last two weeks of March. Summer sale in the July/August timeframe.

Dan

What's the difference, if any, between these two sales? Are the CCRs cheaper in the Inventory clearance sale in March ?

OneHotRT59 wrote:

I just go to the local Red Light District and pick up my temporary help .:):)

Just make sure that you don't have any extra blue and red strobe lights when you get home...LOL:dude:

• 2 weeks later...

Don wrote:

DLTSLC,

Summer Sale = Great prices, unlimited quantities.

Spring Sale = Even better prices, but limited quantities.

Is the spring sale coming, earlier in this thread you mentioned last two weeks are march. Is this still in the works?

I'm getting really excited to purchase my 1st set of controllers and software

I've got LED's on their way, and 7 songs sequenced already.

Same here...now the last week of March and at the instant I'm typing this, no sales yet :( I've got money to spend and its hurting to have to wait for the unknowns...like as if the sale is even going to happen or not and what will be on sale and what isn't.