Light-O-Rama Forums

Ready to Buy- have nothing, need everything

mgrant8163

Guest wbottomley

mgrant8163 wrote:

Ive seen your display and I think my $500 bonus check should cover it. (sorry, couldnt resist the invitation to mess with you). PM meand well talk.

That would get you 3 controllers. What about the other 52? LOL

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mgrant8163

• dgrant

• jimswinder

• TJ Hvasta

Based on the really nice display I have seen from William... you might need a couple million bucks to buy his :-)

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Based on the really nice display I have seen from William... you might need a couple million bucks to buy his :-)

I may have to go back and ask for a bigger bonus!

Yeah, I need three more controllers myself to add to the two I bought already, so sort of waiting on the sale in hopes of saving a little more. I also need the wireless interface set for the controllers. I bought some outdoor speakers that are wireless and they will work somewhat but not anything high-quality. I am only going to run audio for the first show then shut it down and do FM only. I might have to do the rock speakers and an amp from amazon but getting the audio from the computer to the amp will be an issue without running wires across the floor of the house.

Actually, I was just thinking, its probably easier for me to simply use a receiver out in the garage, rock speakers or similar along with the fm transmitter. The only wires would be the speaker wires. With the amp in the garage, no need to worry about rain and etc.

Get a cheap boombox from Goodwill, place it under a mini-tree or in a present in the yard.. set the volume low enough so you can hear it standing on the sidewalk but not across the street. Put the boombox inside a couple gallon-size freezer bags, or inside a Hefty trashbag.. the heat from the radio should keep condensation/moisture out too.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

set the volume low enough so you can hear it standing on the sidewalk but not across the street.

I have found that standing on the sidewalk next to a display is WAAAAY to close (makes it difficult to see the whole display and the LED's are just TOO bright...not to mention you might get hit by a falling mega tree)..so I HAVE to have it loud enough to be heard from across the street...it's a safeety issue... :)

You know , you dont have to jump in with both feet at first and drown while doing it. When I started, I started with just a 2 controllers and used the standalone feature and animation only for the first year. I have added to this every year with music, computer run show, etc....
Just my 5 cents worth. Good luck and mainly....have fun with it.

jimswinder wrote:

TJ Hvasta wrote: 
...not to mention you might get hit by a falling mega tree)..so I HAVE to have it loud enough to be heard from across the street...it's a safeety issue...  :)

BWAhAhAHAHAhAHAhA!!! I am sooo reminded of the Farmers insurance commercial with the guy winding the jack-in-the-box.. thats crushed by the falling spacecraft..

rmturner54 wrote:

You know , you dont have to jump in with both feet at first and drown while doing it. When I started, I started with just a 2 controllers and used the standalone feature and animation only for the first year. I have added to this every year with music, computer run show, etc....
Just my 5 cents worth. Good luck and mainly....have fun with it.

A Texan telling me not to go big? Im impressed and you are very wise. I just tend to lean more and have more fun if I dive in instead of walk slowly into the shallow end.

I would say.....go medium. Based on what I have seen, I thought anything less than 4 controllers (64 channels) was too small.

For me with a managable timeline was:

2x 8 channel (miniMega Tree)

4 Leaping arches with 8 channels on the same controller (so uses 8 channels)

8 Mini Trees

That right there is 2 controllers.

Then the rest of the lights I already put up every Christmas would be another 32 channels (2 controllers).

But 4 controllers = $325 for the first one with SW, HW, and shipping.

Then $250 (fully assembled) or $205 (DIY) plus S&H.

So just around $1000 for the LoR HW for 4 channels.

Now add in PVC, bolts, wire frames etc I have spent about $100 for the above mentioned props.

Also, most of the sequences you can find out there for free are at least 32-64 channels.

I posted above just to give you a scale of what $500 will get you :-)

Also you should think about putting in an electrical supply subpanel or run dedicated 15 amp outlets from your existing breaker (if you have room).

I put in a 12 slot 125 Amp subpannel for about $150. I did all the work myself, so this is just materials. If you have mostly LEDs this should be less of a problem, but I have about 50/50 so i needed it.

As a newbie myself and looking forward to my first show this coming season, I'm sort of jumping in with both feet. I'll have 5 controllers, 32 channels will get used on a 15 foot mega tree, 16 more channels on two arches and all the rest on the house, 16 mini-trees and so on. I've sequenced 18 tunes so they are ready. I've bought and received the EDM transmitter and doing wireless speakers for the outside, first show only of each night. I am probably going to do formal speakers (rock types) with a connection to a real receiver for additional sound without going too loud. I don't have an extra channel to toggle the start of the first show manually therefore inviting whomever to see the beginning but oh well...timing it to start at a particular time will work too. Sure hope I don't mess something up or forget something critical or worse and the megatree falls over!

I wanted to do a multi color mega tree, but getting the Red/green/blue lights would have been a big additional cost my wife nixed (heh). So I stuck with using the lights I got on clearance from Home Depot which are all white/multi. white for the tree and multi for the arches...

Next year though......(insert evil chuckle).

Yeah, I'm doing the multi on the tree and white on the arches. I'd love to do CCR's but that's a lot of $...maybe down the road a bit.