Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat 5 wiring questions

Carl S

I would like to run a couple DMX univeres from my show computer in addition to my LOR, but I would like to run an outlet to my roof, soffet, and to my yard. So I could connect them out side and have them hard wired in the attic and walls, is this possible?

Yes, if you can fish the wire to that area.

Go to Home Depot in the electrical section. They have RJ45 jacks and surface mount boxes and wall plates that the jacks will fit into. You will also need some Cat 5 wire. You can buy this in 1000 ft boxes, they may be able to cut it for you. The box might say something like category 5e.

The RJ45 jacks have a color code on them that show which wire connects to where on the jack. There are two ways to wire the jacks, make sure you use the same method on both ends. The RJ45 jacks also come with a tool to seat the wire.

Good Luck!

Jerry

I went by Home Depot on my lunch hour. The Cat 5 you want is labeled Category 5e. They sell it in 1000ft boxes and also in rolls or 100 feet or so.

Jerry

Carl S wrote:

Thanks, now to figure out how many runs I should do?????

The DMX RJ45 standard specifies 2 universes on 1 Cat5 cable, which could be helpful if space is tight.

Also, LOR and DMX (with 1 universe) use different pairs that don't overlap, so it's possible to run a LOR network and a DMX universe through 1 Cat5 cable at the same time. The DMX signal will pass through the LOR controller over the "spare" pairs.

Carl S wrote:

OK next question. I nkow people use the cat 5 coupler but does anyone use a cat 5 splitter?

Using a splitter like the one pictured makes your LOR network no longer a single line, which can cause problems with signal reflections and impedance mismatch. It can cause problems that show up with temperature and other environmental changes over time.

mgrant8163 wrote:

Does it matter if I use Cat5 or Cat5e? I have a friend that wants to give me 930 feet of Cat5. Thanks.

I'm no expert, but I believe that Cat 5 will work.

Jerry

I use Cat5 or Cat5e or you can use Cat3 in that matter, But I use computer networking cable for all my LOR/CCR network connections, but I am old school when it comes to wiring up the connectors, I use the 568A method

even though LOR's controllers can be connected with 4 wire telco using RG-11 connectors I prefer cat5 and the 568A configuration to keep cross-talk at a minimum

Attached files 307784=16858-568A Cat5.JPG

texascop wrote:

So, which pair does the standard LOR signal use and which pair does the LOR version of DMX use?

Standard LOR (SC485, USB485, USB485B, all LOR controllers, ELL, and RS-485 Network Repeater) all send data on pins 4 & 5, ground on pin 6, and +9v on pin 3.

The only LOR component that uses DMX pinouts is the iDMX1000, which uses 3-pin XLR connectors.

If you want to use an USB485 to control a DMX universe, you need to use a cable that sends the DMX signal from pins 4 & 5.

Steven wrote:

texascop wrote:
So, which pair does the standard LOR signal use and which pair does the LOR version of DMX use?

Standard LOR (SC485, USB485, USB485B, all LOR controllers, ELL, and RS-485 Network Repeater) all send data on pins 4 & 5, ground on pin 6, and +9v on pin 3.

The only LOR component that uses DMX pinouts is the iDMX1000, which uses 3-pin XLR connectors.

If you want to use an USB485 to control a DMX universe, you need to use a cable that sends the DMX signal from pins 4 & 5.

You can also make a crossover cable from LOR to DMX in which pins 4&5 from a LOR controller become pins 1&2 of a DMX universe. one caveat - you must be sending a DMX signal for this to work, as a LOR controller can be controlled as a DMX device the opposite is not true - you cannot control a DMX device with LOR protocol(without an iDMX)

I'm glad this came up before I wired my house. So if I want to do what you suggested Steven, I need to use pins 4 & 5 for each universe, whether it is LOR or Dmx? So in 1 cat 5 cable I can do 4 of them right?

Jeff Millard wrote:

Dr. Jones wrote:
one caveat - you must be sending a DMX signal for this to work, as a LOR controller can be controlled as a DMX device the opposite is not true - you cannot control a DMX device with LOR protocol(without an iDMX)

While this statement is true in and of itself, the point needs to be made that an iDMX is not required to create raw DMX using just the LOR software and a simple DMX dongle from the official adapter list. So in keeping with the statement, it is true that "you cannot control a DMX device with LOR protocol without an iDMX" But at the same time, you can create DMX signals with the LOR system and a USB485 dedicated to DMX in the network preferences to control a DMX device. Which precludes the need for an iDMX in this case.

Jeff
exactly - hence using the "lor protocol" as a reference to the standard networks not any that can and be used with the approved adapters

So, if I have one LOR network and one LOR based DMX Universe and both are output using two seperate USB485's, I can use one Cat5(5E or 6) cable, run the LOR data signal over pin 4-5 and convert (splice in) the LOR-DMX signal to pin 1-2? Then, that one cable would service the entire display with both the LOR and DMX signal. The LOR devices would respond to data on pins 4-5 and the DMX controllers would respond to data on pins 1-2? I guess I could inject 12V DC on one of the other twisted pair?